Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Lexx

Cipher
Zed: Better make that dialogue editor a flow chart editor. I wouldn't want to work with anything else anymore.

Sadly, I'll have to when dealing with my Fallout 2 mod stuff. Speaking of, here's another screenshot. I haven't posted as many screenshots since 5 or so years, I think.

XI72tdG.png

Years ago I've included TeamX's Mr.Fixit script in my mod (heavily modified and a little bit improved by now). You open up the interface via the tiny grey button next to the skilldex or the F key. Works pretty much like any other interface (map, pipboy, character screen, etc).

So yeah, I got crafting in my mod... It won't work like in recent RPGs, though, where you do nothing else but collect materials all day long and then craft a new shitty armor that you will use for 5 minutes before crafting a new shitty armor in a different color. The Fixboy merely exists to allow the player to upgrade weapons and craft basic stuff, similar to the system in Arcanum.
Recipes are unlocked by skill, so if you increase energy weapons high enough, you'll be able to upgrade energy weapons, etc. ... if you got the necessary science / repair skill AND the upgrade part (in the screenshot's case it is the advanced precharger). This also makes repair and science a bit more useful than just for that one terminal or power generator somewhere in the game.

Oh, and don't mind the kraut language in the message log. We are currently translating everything that's been done so far, meanwhile polishing dialogue and quests, etc. Basically I am dropping all german language support, as I've never been able to get any german to help me with the mod anyway. Also if I keep working on it in german, I know for certain I'll never be able to translate it to english.... or it will just take another 10 years. Long story short, it's done in english now as base language.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Another week down.
Brain exploded due to implementing GURPS go through system, close reach handling causing multiple fighting actors per hex, active system mechanics, retreating, hit location basics and multi hex actors that can also handle that system. It's coming along nicely so I think I'll start on character handling next week to link things up a bit.

Once again, mute archive video displaying things that nobody sane can understand, unless they play GURPS or something.

As a note, geomorphic hexagonal maps are the future of mankind.

gaussgunner

Arcane

That .ini code... :lol:

I made myself a script language. Dialogue, and-or conditions, and fixed-function actions only. Gonna be great if I ever do anything with it.

I remember thinking when HTML5 was new that it would be awesome to script rpgs with straight Javascript but that proved unmanageable. You couldn't change anything without checking all the dialogue scripts. Most of it was just boilerplate anyway, and for the rare occasions when I needed a custom action it was easy enough to add a fixed function.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Before starting on my current project I was playing around with geodesic tiling. It's a lot of math and vectors. And if I had to start with a new game engine today, it would be a lot of quaternions and matrix manipulations that I don't understand.

GHS10.jpg

Maybe someday when I finish my current project, I'll get back to making my Civilization-but-on-a-sphere game.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Before starting on my current project I was playing around with geodesic tiling. It's a lot of math and vectors. And if I had to start with a new game engine today, it would be a lot of quaternions and matrix manipulations that I don't understand.

GHS10.jpg

Maybe someday when I finish my current project, I'll get back to making my Civilization-but-on-a-sphere game.

If not, you can always use it as a design for Xmas ornament.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Noice.Did you use this pack?

Nah, haven't used anything external yet, just a lot of testing what feels right, what doesn't, learning stuff and the like. It feels right, even good, for now though I'll probably ditch the elevation mechanics for now as it creates too many issues with multi hexes shit. As for Geomorphic hexagonal, it's just great in concept I think, it all "fits" proper. Not sure if I'll focus on it being a feature somewhere but they're just great :)
Anyway, since my last shitty entry for Ludum dare, been back to pure design phase on this, or just procrastination as some call it. Very hard to force the brain to keep shit simple and doable and being done, as it tends to go crazy, never caring if anything's actually finished.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It looks great. I almost weakened and went back to Unity because of it, but the asset store publishers don't seem to like Linux over there, so back to HMH for me. :lol:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
The font looks kind of sci-fi. With those pics, I think you might do better with something more retro pixel. The overall UI... I dunno. I guess it depends on what you're going for.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The font looks kind of sci-fi.
Yes, that's my problem, I want to go with a sci-fi vibe, I've found several fantasy/medieval fonts which looks OK but nothing really good with a sci-fi look.
I don't play a lot of roguelikes, what would be some sci-fi roguelikes (EDIT : or old RPGs) with a minimalist look and a pleasant font?

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Getting started on the day/night cycle of Himeko Sutori:

Time-of-day-optimized2.gif

Basically all I have to do now is take that shader's functionality and plug it into anything outdoors, and I have at least the appearance of a day/night cycle.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Re-posting this here from the original thread in case someone missed it: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/das-geisterschiff.111827/page-3#post-4900287

Added landmines. They're displayed as garbage to warn the player and usually dropped in the dark zones to get rid of the intruders. Not planning to use them a lot, just add them to a couple of places where you can potentially find useful info/items (or end up getting frustrated because you've lost 1/6 of your max DC).

C1RyD9UUUAA3qra.jpg:large

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can't find any satisfying font. What do you think of this one?
A tip I'll gladly provide anyone is to not use 255/255/255 whites. They feel eye-damaging to read for a lot of people, especially against a 0/0/0 black background.
I'd use 245/245/245 or something. Maybe a dash of blue to make it a little silvery.

As for the font type, I'd choose something with a little more spacing between letters.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
A tip I'll gladly provide anyone is to not use 255/255/255 whites. They feel eye-damaging to read for a lot of people, especially against a 0/0/0 black background.
I'd use 245/245/245 or something. Maybe a dash of blue to make it a little silvery.
Thanks, that was a great advice, I like the white on black UI but it is not meant to be agressive, it looks a lot better now.
I think I found a suitable font :
There's a blocky version of the same font that I like too :

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom