Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Heart of Urukul

Andhaira

Arcane
What are your views on this gem? I never playedhtis originally whe nit cam eout, but I tried it in themid 90's by downloading it from underdogs. I enjoyed it, though never got around to finishing it. I like the spell effects, I have to say. :)

Any thoughts on this? And why it was never sequelified?

k_bits

Scholar
It's clever and the graphics are still charming IMHO.

Binary

Liturgist
Never finished it either but it's a very nice dungeon crawl with tb combat and some excellent puzzles

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It has the BEST puzzles. No RPG has this many and this good puzzles. Some are very, very, VERY difficult.

RPGs need to have puzzles again. It used to be an RPG element.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Jasede said:
It has the BEST puzzles. No RPG has this many and this good puzzles. Some are very, very, VERY difficult.

RPGs need to have puzzles again. It used to be an RPG element.

Full ACK!

BTW: Does anybody own the original game in a box for DOS? In Germany there are only some Apple2 versions for sale for 80+€...

Andhaira

Arcane
Well, I personally find puzzles annoying, though to be honest I didn't relaly find any in urukul that outstanding. I mean, they were mostly riddles. IMO Betrayal at Krondor's trapped chests were better.

I guess you just had to be there at the time the game was released to appreciate the puzzles.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
lol @ "They were mostly riddles" and THEN saying Betrayal in at Krondor's chests were better.

You're doing this on purpose!

Andhaira

Arcane
What party did you have mondblut? And how long did it take you to finish, who/what was the final boss and was there any dragon fights?

I have to say the combat in this game was sweet. I suggest to anyone who enjoys playing Helherron, Natuk, POWS, Spidweb games, etc to giver Urukul a chance.

The flavor text in the game is also quite nice,

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Andhaira said:
What party did you have mondblut? And how long did it take you to finish, who/what was the final boss and was there any dragon fights?

I have to say the combat in this game was sweet. I suggest to anyone who enjoys playing Helherron, Natuk, POWS, Spidweb games, etc to giver Urukul a chance.

The flavor text in the game is also quite nice,

I actually despise EVERY of the above mentioned games, but still had fun playing (well, not completing) Dark Heart of Uukrul. That makes me wonder ....

mondblut

Arcane
Andhaira said:

Fighter, paladin, mage and cleric, of course. That game chooses classes for you, doesn't it? ;) Uukrul was the "final boss" i think, but there are a few levels worth of ugly puzzles after he's killed. And then the party dies in endgame sequence ;)

Don't remember about dragons, I played many years ago.

Andhaira

Arcane
The party dies?? Are you serious?

And I think there wasa quikstart option and a party generation option. Note I played this in the mid 90's or so. I remember being attracted by the spells, which suprisingly looked pretty sweet.

Must have been epic to have played this when it was released, complete with box and manual

Hmm, maybe I should go download it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom