Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually like the idea of a handheld/home console hybrid and I neither mind the price tag nor the weak specs.

But this video reminded me that on consoles you mainly get to play console garbage. What a weak line up. Oh, well, thats 500 bucks saved for me.
What's with the bad spelling ratings for that post? Can someone point out the mistakes? I'm always eager to learn. Black_Willow LeStryfe79 thank you.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The peasants should be used to being scammed by trashy paid services since they praise Xbox Live and PSN so much.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I actually like the idea of a handheld/home console hybrid and I neither mind the price tag nor the weak specs.

But this video reminded me that on consoles you mainly get to play console garbage. What a weak line up. Oh, well, thats 500 bucks saved for me.
What's with the bad spelling ratings for that post? Can someone point out the mistakes? I'm always eager to learn. Black_Willow LeStryfe79 thank you.

Ranarama

Learned
News:

- matchmaking and lobbies only via phones app
- voice chat and chat via phones up.

Nintendo proving they don't have a single fucking clue with online.

My phone doesn't have any room for a new fucking app, and I kind of doubt it'll run this shit. But... if I upgrade to a better phone, then why would I need a Nintendo Switch?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the switch is intended to be a quantum leap in portable gaming, mostly because it has controllers and good ip. the tv shit is just a bonus but it's a good one. the switch will have a steady growth over the next 3 years. might sell 100 mil units with a 6.5 game per user ratio. Thats what im calling. no need to get it first day. pro jared was solid with that advice

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nintendo still actively trying to sabotage online gaming. Glad I give zero fucks about playing consoles online.

Well, maybe one or two of those: A new Metroid entry. Mega Man or some other brutal 2d sidescroller. An Etrian Oddysee.

A new Etrian is probably some ways off. They just released EO5 last year, and that was only in Japan. Still waiting for the westpoor release.

Today I was playing some Mario Kart 8 and it dawned on me that the idea of being able to take that shit anywhere and play with other people anywhere is pretty great.

Still not $350-420 great.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Stores are charging you 380€ for a Switch in my country. What the fuck? Usually they just go for the lazy unit conversion where 300USD = 300€, which is still highway robbery, but it's not as insulting as 380€ is. I wasn't going to get the console yet, but this just means that by the time there's a price cut, it'll be finally normal priced. I think I might just buy the console from the US.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hence why I said I'l just order it from abroad whenever the games I want come for it. Most likely that'll be whenever the planned SMT game is released, so I can import that from the US as well.

Perkel

Arcane
299$ is MSRP. Without VAT. Dollar also isn't weaker now than Euro. It used to be.
380$ is bullshit though. I fully expect this is basically for idiots who can't wait to preorder.

If i will buy it it will be as usuall. Wait for used models for 1/4 of new price

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Switch costs $550 in good old Aotearoa, and that's without the one game worth preordering and the controller that won't give you carpal tunnel syndrome, which'd spike the price to around $780.

For reference, you can buy a new Playstation 4 with two new games for $450, a new WiiU with Super Mario Maker and the new LoZ for $550, or a new 3DS XL and 2 games for about $460.

This' pretty much a confirmed dud on arrival in New Zealand, at least.

Kraszu

Prophet
- Here is what you get if you simply want a laptop (i.e. vaguely similar as a home system that can be transported easily and used elsewhere): Amazon UK link
That's a very weak GPU for a "gaming laptop" and yet look at what it is able to run: even more, most of the settings in his benchmarks are set to high, meaning you are guaranteed to hit 60fps if you downgrade but a little.

This is used, looks suspiciously cheap.

- Here is what you can get in order to keep the comparison relevant (a small screen that can still be displayed on a TV via HDMI): Amazon UK link
You want Metroid? Mario? F-Zero? Zelda? You would be hard-pressed to find a laptop not powerful enough to run the Dolphin emulator, and if it can run the GameCube, then it can also run the DS, the PSP, the PS2, the Dreamcast...

This has intel HD graphics, also this CPU would struggle with emulation on some games, and switch will have new Zelda, and many new games, this isn't a good replacement, and it doesn't even come with a controller. You are wrong if you think that this has better hardware to running games, and that ignores lack of software support. Tegra is the top gpu that you can have in a small device like that.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-best-mobile-device-to-run-dolphin-can-t-decide

Sounds like it will likely not run emulators that well.

Controllers for mobile devices come in all forms
if you want to attach your screen to it, again to keep the comparison relevant.

Those look crappy as well, when it comes to functionality switch looks very good, you can put it on a small table, and get controllers out, you can use half of controller for local co-op in some games.

To me the Switch is outclassed as a proper "modern" home system as it is not designed to compete with powerhouses, but it is not even worth it as a low-end gaming system because it is completely outgunned by anything you can get for the same price. As for the purely mobile market... other Nintendo consoles do that much better, not to mention most mobile players want gimmicky little Android-like games to play on the go, not actual full-featured games. I really have no idea what market the Switch is supposed to conquer.

3DS did sell over 60mln that isn't bad. Is switch worse concept then 3DS? I don't think so because you get nintendo games that were normally only on a home console + games that were normally on 3DS (with some gfx improvement). You have bigger screen but a device that is harder to feat into pocket, and with lower battery life (carrying additional battery isn't a big deal tho).

If they would make a version without dock for 200$ or some nice bundle it will look pretty good imo. Being able to put it on a small table in a train for example looks pretty nice.

The TV gimmicks would be relegated to a "pro" version.
The console world, where an HDMI connection from a portable device to a TV is some futuristic techy gimmick for pro users...

Well the gimmick is in convince, you just slight it in without having to connect power, and hdmi cables, and without having to change option for TV, that is pretty nice but not worth the extra price. It is also pretty nice that the console recognize what controller you are using, so you don't need to set it up every time.

btw. the accessories price is pretty ridiculous, and for me it is important to have additional functionality of being able to use them on my PC.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The Switch will probably sell well because it's Nintendo, but it really doesn't feel like it deserves to.

First a reality check: technology has not evolved in the last 15 years anywhere near as fast as the 15 years prior.

Graphics have advanced at a much slower pace, and as a result hardware had all the time in the world to catch up. 2001 titles look great even today, and you know what looks better? 2005 and 2010 titles. These titles will run on any new computer that most of us would be tempted to dismiss as potato entry-level: your supercheap "non-gaming" laptop can run 15 years of great-looking games on top of being a computer, i.e. something actually useful, and something that almost everyone already has.

In the name of science, I googled what kind of hardware you can get for the same price range:

- Here is what you get if you simply want a laptop (i.e. vaguely similar as a home system that can be transported easily and used elsewhere): Amazon UK link
That's a very weak GPU for a "gaming laptop" and yet look at what it is able to run: even more, most of the settings in his benchmarks are set to high, meaning you are guaranteed to hit 60fps if you downgrade but a little.

- Here is what you can get in order to keep the comparison relevant (a small screen that can still be displayed on a TV via HDMI): Amazon UK link
You want Metroid? Mario? F-Zero? Zelda? You would be hard-pressed to find a laptop not powerful enough to run the Dolphin emulator, and if it can run the GameCube, then it can also run the DS, the PSP, the PS2, the Dreamcast...

Controllers for mobile devices come in all forms if you want to attach your screen to it, again to keep the comparison relevant.

To me the Switch is outclassed as a proper "modern" home system as it is not designed to compete with powerhouses, but it is not even worth it as a low-end gaming system because it is completely outgunned by anything you can get for the same price. As for the purely mobile market... other Nintendo consoles do that much better, not to mention most mobile players want gimmicky little Android-like games to play on the go, not actual full-featured games. I really have no idea what market the Switch is supposed to conquer.

Only a dedicated playerbase and some exclusives will save it.

The TV gimmicks would be relegated to a "pro" version.
The console world, where an HDMI connection from a portable device to a TV is some futuristic techy gimmick for pro users...

But then I have to deal with Steam.

No thank you. I want my games to work without internet activation.

Martius

Liturgist
So they're even considering NOT translating SMT5 for Engrish?:argh:
At worst it will probably just take more time. Look at Persona 5, it will release in English pretty rate in comparison to recent Atlus games. They probably have some extra work from Sega with Yakuza and other games.

Kraszu

Prophet
If you want exclusive, then there is no arguing, you will go for whatever machine has what you want, hence why I said strong exclusives will probably save it.

Switch is pretty fairly priced for tablet gaming device, you will not find anything as fast for that price, with a gamepad, and docking station that is more convenient then plugging everything with cables + setting the device to screen mode + selecting that gamepad that you want to use (that will often require restarting the game).

The switch is only 720p (and imo it was a good compromise because it will not run games in bigger resolution without going through batter in even less time + 720p on such a ~6 inch screen should be just fine for gaming) so it isn't a great tablet but is usable as well, hopefully you will be able to boot it into android or nintendo will add enough tablet like functionality for the device.

The exact samples I Googled are not important, they were only to make an acceptable comparison: you can have the screen + the controller in your hands, and you can also project it on a big TV via your HDMI cable. If you want to defend the user-friendly Swiss army design of the Switch, I'll happily concede it as to me this does look like its greatest strength and a Nintendo staple.

Well they are pretty important since switch has place for controller build into device, there is no way that trying to attach controller to a tablet that doesn't support it will work as well, and be as convenient. It isn't just that switch comes with everything, but it looks like the quality is there as well.

Siobhan

Arbiter
Since the switch looks kind of intriguing I decided to spend 20 bucks on a bluetooth gamepad to turn my Nexus 7 into a Retroarch "handheld". Works surprisingly well, and I've discovered some cool NES games I wasn't aware of like Kabuki Quantum Fighter and Vice: Project Doom. I think this will keep me busy for the next few years. So... thanks, Nintendo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom