Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm gonna shit myself... Max Payne 3 is behind the corner...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Washington (dbTechno) - Sources are stating that Rockstar is currently working on a new Max Payne for release in 2009 on the Xbox 360 and PS3. This would likely launch alongside with the launch of the movie, which stars Mark Walhberg.
I would shit myself if it would land on the PC.

You can find some small news <a href="http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/03/12/rockstar-working-on-new-max-payne-for-xbox-360-ps3">here</a>. The above may be a news/rumor but Take-Two has announce it on a conference not long ago.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Herbert West said:
So, what are you going to do when it actually gets on your PC :shock: ?
I have a feeling it won't but if then I will move my PC to the WC.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
I thought Remedy owned the Max Payne IP. What does R* have to do with the franchise?

Maybe they bought the right to publish a game under that license?

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Oh fuck! Our Finnishness in the hands of the Americans! This is atrocious!

That is gonna fail.

Then again, Remedy only has 30 developers. Somehow I think they have their hands full with Alan Wake (which they made Vista only, which is gay).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kingston said:
Then again, Remedy only has 30 developers. Somehow I think they have their hands full with Alan Wake (which they made Vista only, which is gay).

really? I can tell you from here that the game will blow.

MetalCraze

Arcane
aha, like since when max payne was a fps?
though chances are the game will be kinda funny. in rockstar way funny:
shitty animations
stupid AI
a nonsensical story-line about the cop vs. bandits
...like max payne 2 was better. except with rockstar you can expect high-on-crack nonsensical storyline - hint: all other rockstar action games.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Stories in most games ar stupid and cliche. Non of Paynes were exceptions. But at least those weren't retarded. And what's wrong with Rockstar? If someone can do a decent job on MP sequel besides Remedy, it's them. Ok, the guys who made Mafia (Illusion was it?) would be even better, but meh.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Annonchinil said:
The story in Max Payne 2 was stupid but atleast it was well paced and fun.
How the fuck was the story stupid? Am I the only one that thinks Max Payne 2 was in overall superior to many, many other games of this kind - hell the best of it's kind.

And what's wrong with Rockstar? If someone can do a decent job on MP sequel besides Remedy, it's them.
Bullshit, no one should do MP3 except Remedy.

JoeDirt

Scholar
WhiskeyWolf said:
Annonchinil said:
The story in Max Payne 2 was stupid but atleast it was well paced and fun.
How the fuck was the story stupid? Am I the only one that thinks Max Payne 2 was in overall superior to many, many other games of this kind - hell the best of it's kind.

No, you're not alone. MP3 sans Remedy's magic touch will phail hard.

Herbert West

Arbiter
blah blah blah, secret society in the upper eshelons, blah, corrupted senator, blah blah

It was better than the average, but nothing I'd call very good.

Presentation was very nice though.

I liked the comics, Max's narration with some autoirony and overal badass cop quality.

TV shows parodying the game within the game itself. Dick Justice and the other show, whatever was it's name that was a brilliant touch! It portrayed something of Max's alter-ego and it confused me really. I started questioning wheter things I see aren't by chance happening in Max's head and in the end, Max's will turn out have been insane all along. Games that manage to mess with my perception of the game world are exceedingly rare!

And there was of course somewhat noir mood, that always gets me going!

Overal, I have fond memories of Max Payne 2, but I haven't found those qualities that Remedy infused MP2 with in any of Rockstar's games.

Nael

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
Herbert West said:
So, what are you going to do when it actually gets on your PC :shock: ?
I have a feeling it won't but if then I will move my PC to the WC.

Why must you tease with the underlining? I was hoping for some Tubwolf action :cry:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Max Payne had style and great gameplay. The story wasn't anything mindblowing but it had some nice insane touches. If it's both for PS3 and XBOX I'd think It would also make it to the PC , although R recently has been ignoring the PC. It would suck if this PC title became console exclusive.

And R will probably turn Remedy's film-noir style into a sleazy 80's movie... not good, for this game at least. And what's with all these franchises being continued by different developers? Shit, they're only doing it to feed from the fanbase and because they don't have any new ideas.

Section8

Cipher
Wait, there's a Max Payne movie coming out starring Marky Mark? Only William H. Macy is qualified to play such a perennial loser.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gnidrologist said:
And what's wrong with Rockstar? If someone can do a decent job on MP sequel besides Remedy, it's them
as much as I respect Rockstar for bringing us very fun and "law-unfriendly" games - I really doubt that they are capable of producing a serious game. actually never seen one from them.

Stories in most games ar stupid and cliche. Non of Paynes were exceptions

yes - Max Payne was a hollywoodish cliche on cliche-game - however it had that good neo-noir style, some uncliche'ed moves - like making russians - good guys. and the story was pretty consistent - max payne had a real motivation - it was not like "max will you help me - ok Mona, let's go on 8 hrs-long massacre of some random guys".

Max Payne 2 however pretended to be philosophical and deep. with an "unexpected" storyline turn. which resulted even in more nonsense and cliches. making russian - a bad guy - what a turn, plus Max Payne had a big house - where did it go? here we're waking up in some shitty flat. and that was just the beginning of the nonsensical unexplained ideas. also Vinni Gognitti actually was posed as such a big crazy idiot in the 2nd game - and I like how despite this MP believed he was a mastermind behind everything. boring.

I remember one good game reviewer wrote that "if a player begin to understand more than his character - the storyline may turn into a disaster"

Annonchinil

Scholar
I liked the part where Mona died, but his romance with her felt so thrown together. What made the story good was the pacing and the presentation, the menu screen with its song set and captured the mood. I also liked the TV shows, they felt like the trash that would be on late night TV, especially Lord & Ladies, that one was making me insane but I had to find out what happened next.

Jabbapop

Scholar
skyway said:
Max Payne had a big house - where did it go? here we're waking up in some shitty flat. and that was just the beginning of the nonsensical unexplained ideas."

Maybe the same people who killed his wife and child stoled it from him? lols.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom