Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Dustin542

Liturgist
New patch adds mod limit on top of already existing hard drive space limit for consoles. 150 for xbox one and 100 for ps4 for the mod limit.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Always relevant to FO4

Attachments

• Fallout 4 Bible - The Gospel Of Anon.pdf
    272.8 KB · Views: 295

Jozoz

Prophet
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/co...medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Fallout

One of the most upvoted threads ever on the Fallout subreddit is a giant roast of Emil Pagliarulo (which if you somehow don't know is the main writer at Beth).

Even the redditors seem extremely upset with Bethesda lately. There's always the usual Bethesda fanboys who will never think for themselves (see MrMattyPlays), but I'd say in general the discourse is very negative. Are we witnessing a normie uprising?

2house2fly

Magister
I'm reading through the comments in that reddit link and they stop halfway through to fellate Mass Effect, lol

Also, as fashionable as it is nowadays to trash Mass Effect let's be pretty fucking honest here, the games are masterpieces. Newer RPG's are compared against them for a reason, they are exceptional games that defined a genre. Every game in that series has had far better dialogue, and really even storytelling, than any of the Elder Scrolls or FO games (except maybe NV, but it still isn't even close to the same level in terms of scope), at least since Morrowind (and I think that's an unfair comparison since Morrowind is so different).

The writing in the Mass Effect series was top notch, every conversation, big or small, felt realistic. It flowed naturally, every character had a distinct voice, personality, and narrative arc across THREE games. The stories were more often than not intriguing, thought-provoking, and enabled character development. Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim, and now FO4 have been ridiculously lackluster in this regard. Dialogue is almost always hammy, the main stories devolve into tropes and contrivances by the third act, and your effect on the world is minimal in all but FO4 which is pretty shitty since all you wind up doing is nonsensically blowing stuff up. Blaming Mass Effect for the "voiced protagonist" when Bioware proved it could be done correctly isn't fair, we should be blaming Bethesda for trying to mix in ideas from other titles that simply don't work in their IP's. What Bethesda has done right in their past couple of games is atmosphere, dungeons, combat, and streamlined leveling. Their writing, in pretty much all regards, has been pretty bad as the focus has shifted to creating large immersive sandboxes rather than well crafted stories within an open world.

Kaael
Ave

2d
I feel you, i'm over the ending now. At the time I was pissed but after playing the Citadel DLC, I feel that was the final swansong of the trilogy which completely redeemed it in my eyes.

After that DLC, the ending didn't matter - because it really did tie up the loose ends and felt like a 'conclusion'.

seanlax5

2d
I've always felt that I was playing an excellent movie with Mass Effect, not just a random video game. It was scripted enough to build plot and characters, while free enough to give you choices and consequences that seriously impacted the story and gameplay. It wasn't right for everyone all the time, but for its niche I believe its nothing short of a masterpiece.

P4thphynd1r
Vault 13

2d
The first time I saw a buddy of mine playing Mass Effect in college, I asked him what movie he was watching.

Epsilon

Cipher
The reason they're praising Mass Effect now is because they're the people who played that as kids, now those kids have had time to grow up and they have fond memories of the game. This is the generational decline.
There will be people looking back fondly on Fallout 4 in 10 years time as well.

Drakron

Arcane
Mass Effect have little with FO4 because FO4 have no identity, the dialog wheel is lifted from ME sure but so did DA and Alpha Protocol used it as well.

FO4 also barrows A LOT from ARK and the endless "survival" games, in fact I would say FO4 is more ARK that is ME, its only Fallout in the name.

typical user

Arbiter
I have made posts about this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11657/?

And I can't recommend this enough. Every enemy doesn't take shit-ton of bullets to kill. Finally supports every DLC and is pretty simple.
One complaint though is that every modded gun is going to be much weaker than vanilla weapons unless they have ridiculous rate of fire.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Trecking through Glowing Sea is a redeeming moment in game's world/location design I must say. No dumb main quest or pointless radiant quests or crappy dialogue, or recycled music - just echo and lightning and surreal dead wasteland landscape not connected to main world. +enemies are high level and there's good chance at finding some decent loot.

Bethesda should stop pretending it can make RPGs with stories and just make sorta environmental trecking-likes.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's surreal how much better Far Harbor is than original game. It's actually "not shit". Does Beth have 2 teams, Team Release Retards and team Addon Crooks who are kept in the basement as long as possible before they can actually write non-retarded characters, quests and choices?

It's so surreal.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
If you have the jetpak the verticality of the city is somewhat interesting I guess but besides pressing w there isn't much to do in this game(and playing house), of course there's no rpg in this, bethesda should just make stalker but any good coders are probably starving or dead, the combat is acceptable for the first 10 minutes then becomes a chore and power armors everywhere break it further, quests are dull, the characters are dull, it looks dull sometimes I was waiting for a pop in that never came. I was actually amazed how much tunnel vision that follow the dog quest gave me it's all the dog's asshole in my head, probably a masonic plot. Performance's fine for a while then it becomes crap if I delete inis it becomes solid 60 for a while again and then drops again, what? Tried capping fps and removing v-sync and it's somewhat better but still unstable, someone's sucking nvidea cock, loadings are tied to fps lol, was amazed when I found a mod to fix that and it actually working. Not any mods yet, the creation kit's probably getting worse and worse too but I wouldn't know.
Far harbor seems better designed but I'm going to stop playing I feel like I've wasted my time and I've got a headache maybe in 5 years or so when I can get impregnated.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The problem with verticality is that once you begin exploring the city, game explodes into noise and psychotic violence as much as, say, Bioshock Infinite does during most of it's levels. There are enemies everywhere, you can't walk one apartment without getting shot at from everywhere. It's like someone brew an anti-Tarkovsky potion, the Michael Bay essence, the shallowest and most awful and tasteless kind of experience, an ultimate non-art. This is why people are drawn to base building in this game, it's because that is the only moment where you can find rest and when game shuts the fuck up. That's why Far Harbour was liked even by bethesdards themselves - even they could not stand the Noise, and why Glowing Sea is a better part of the game. Fallout 4 biggest chunk of exploration is all Noise, and what it does, as most of forced noise always does, is it rips you out of the setting, of location, it does not allow you to immerse in the game world at all. Again, like all the pictures and statues and messages in nu-Shock but you can't take a breath and explore them, because there is just constant fucking bloodbath all around - or cutscenes.

When character in old Fallouts arrives into most settlements he has a time to look around, be just himself, check on the people and listen to music. Nu-games don't give you that time.

And one other thing should be said about world map of Fallout 1&2. The thing they do, you travel the big world, you go from one unique settlement to another, or unique base or encounter. In nu-Fallout, you travel from coffee shop to gas station to middle school (with mutants) to high shool (with ghouls) to hospital (with mutants). New Vegas somehow battled the issue with calm moment of just being on the road, meeting lonely traveler, or going through farm lands. F4 world just doesn't make any sense. It's a trip for groceries with raiders and mutants.

typical user

Arbiter
They deliberately did it on purpose. When you have to track Kellogg with Dogmeat you will get attacked from Molerats on train tracks, 15 steps further two Yao Guai will attack you.

When you follow Danse you will get attacked by bandits halfway to Arcjet Systems. It's like some moron couldn't stand that players can just go in peace to their destination and are open for setting exposition. When Danse talks you are busy sniping raiders who were conveniently placed along the road so he will walk into them.

There are also location where out of nowhere synths will spawn because you NEED to fight something. I miss the times when you had to destroy some sentry turrets to exploe military base in peace unless you were a moron who tripped alarm activating robots on every sub-level.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
"LEGENDARY ENEMY HAS MUTATED"

When I first saw that pretty early on in the game I knew it was gonna be dogshit.

But when I was camping in the woods I saw a really ferocious bear and saw "LEGENDARY ENEMY HAS MUTATED" in the corner of my eye. I thank Bethesda for adding the enhanced realism.

duke nukem

Augur
I would say that this game is pretty good. Dialog choices are useless, but so they were in every bioware game, where every choice is just pseudo choice. I dont get that why people are whining about engine. Its very good in fo4, 200+ hours and one crash and that was because of too high fps, once got stuck inside boat, but managed to fast travel and one broken quest. Thats quite bug free experience from so huge game.

Side quests are endless, yet quality of them is not any worse than any other rpg generic fetch quests. Also love how lively the world is, you see monsters fighting each other all the time. Most rpg;s are just shallow and empty worlds where everything is static.

Companions are interesting and has far more personality than in any bioware game, but still fallout 2 have better companions. Atleast Piper is lovely, cant say from others.

Skill system simplification was a good thing, it made perks and leveling more meaningful when every point does something useful, unlike in fo 1,2 or 3, where most skill points were useless unless they surpassed certain threshold. But i still think they overdid the simplification, instead of getting rid of skills, they should have just made them in to 5 tier system: Very poor, poor, average, good, Very Good.

Settlement system was nice, but they overdid it. They should have made some of them a friendly towns. I had to play about 50 hours to find first friendly town and that is too much.
Radiation storms were nice idea, but bit poorly done as they were not threat. Just putting 20 to 30 times higher radiations would have made it a cool game play feature. Glowing sea was bit disappointment as it was not dangerously radiated than i thought.:(

The problem with verticality is that once you begin exploring the city, game explodes into noise and psychotic violence as much as, say, Bioshock Infinite does during most of it's levels. There are enemies everywhere, you can't walk one apartment without getting shot at from everywhere. It's like someone brew an anti-Tarkovsky potion, the Michael Bay essence, the shallowest and most awful and tasteless kind of experience, an ultimate non-art. This is why people are drawn to base building in this game, it's because that is the only moment where you can find rest and when game shuts the fuck up. That's why Far Harbour was liked even by bethesdards themselves - even they could not stand the Noise, and why Glowing Sea is a better part of the game. Fallout 4 biggest chunk of exploration is all Noise, and what it does, as most of forced noise always does, is it rips you out of the setting, of location, it does not allow you to immerse in the game world at all. Again, like all the pictures and statues and messages in nu-Shock but you can't take a breath and explore them, because there is just constant fucking bloodbath all around - or cutscenes.

When character in old Fallouts arrives into most settlements he has a time to look around, be just himself, check on the people and listen to music. Nu-games don't give you that time.

And one other thing should be said about world map of Fallout 1&2. The thing they do, you travel the big world, you go from one unique settlement to another, or unique base or encounter. In nu-Fallout, you travel from coffee shop to gas station to middle school (with mutants) to high shool (with ghouls) to hospital (with mutants). New Vegas somehow battled the issue with calm moment of just being on the road, meeting lonely traveler, or going through farm lands. F4 world just doesn't make any sense. It's a trip for groceries with raiders and mutants.
You just described every bioturd game. baldurs gate 1&2: Walk two meters and game vomits 10 enemies at you, then rinse and repeat. Neverwinter: Same. Dragon age origins: Same. Mass effect: Same. Mass effect 2: Same, but even worse.

Atleast combat is good in fallout 4. Shoot legs from enemy and they start crawling at you, shoot their weapon from their arms and every weapon is useful, unlike in mass turd 1 where only useful weapon is assault rifle or mega mass turd 2 where only good weapon is sniper rifle.
:deathclaw:
And you can sneak to avoid combat, thats not possible in any bioware games.

Also i find the main quest in fallout 4 far more interesting than what mass effect or any quest that bioware has made.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would say that this game is pretty good. Dialog choices are useless, but so they were in every bioware game, where every choice is just pseudo choice. I dont get that why people are whining about engine. Its very good in fo4, 200+ hours and one crash and that was because of too high fps, once got stuck inside boat, but managed to fast travel and one broken quest. Thats quite bug free experience from so huge game.

Side quests are endless, yet quality of them is not any worse than any other rpg generic fetch quests. Also love how lively the world is, you see monsters fighting each other all the time. Most rpg;s are just shallow and empty worlds where everything is static.

Companions are interesting and has far more personality than in any bioware game, but still fallout 2 have better companions. Atleast Piper is lovely, cant say from others.

Skill system simplification was a good thing, it made perks and leveling more meaningful when every point does something useful, unlike in fo 1,2 or 3, where most skill points were useless unless they surpassed certain threshold. But i still think they overdid the simplification, instead of getting rid of skills, they should have just made them in to 5 tier system: Very poor, poor, average, good, Very Good.

Settlement system was nice, but they overdid it. They should have made some of them a friendly towns. I had to play about 50 hours to find first friendly town and that is too much.
Radiation storms were nice idea, but bit poorly done as they were not threat. Just putting 20 to 30 times higher radiations would have made it a cool game play feature. Glowing sea was bit disappointment as it was not dangerously radiated than i thought.:(

You just described every bioturd game. baldurs gate 1&2: Walk two meters and game vomits 10 enemies at you, then rinse and repeat. Neverwinter: Same. Dragon age origins: Same. Mass effect: Same. Mass effect 2: Same, but even worse.

Atleast combat is good in fallout 4. Shoot legs from enemy and they start crawling at you, shoot their weapon from their arms and every weapon is useful, unlike in mass turd 1 where only useful weapon is assault rifle or mega mass turd 2 where only good weapon is sniper rifle.
And you can sneak to avoid combat, thats not possible in any bioware games.

Also i find the main quest in fallout 4 far more interesting than what mass effect or any quest that bioware has made.

KlauZ

Educated
Dialogue choices aren't useless, your companions react differently to them... not that it actually matters in the long run though i guess.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Honestly, the most aggregious thing for me is how utterly boring it is. The quests were usually just poorly veiled fetch/kill quests, the most fun thing was wandering aimlessly, but even then, it only lasts for a small period of time. This is caused by boring AF FPS gameplay, where there are very few differences between weapons, even for uniques.

"Venture into this fighting club where you could bet on fights, rig some of the battles depending on your skills, either gain the trust of Cassidy or make her take a fall in the final bout and get a huge payday. Maybe even gaining control of the place. Or...you could just shoot everyone inside it."

"Oh wow, a robot racing track! You could...."

Missed opportunity after missed opportunity.

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Honestly, the most aggregious thing for me is how utterly boring it is. The quests were usually just poorly veiled fetch/kill quests, the most fun thing was wandering aimlessly, but even then, it only lasts for a small period of time. This is caused by boring AF FPS gameplay, where there are very few differences between weapons, even for uniques.

It's utterly boring because the target audience was Skyrim retards who salivate and praise the dumbed down Skyrim formula/fetch quests. It's shit because Skyrim proved that banal boring shit games sell.

typical user

Arbiter
Skyrim only proved you can sell crap if you advertise it well. A prominent example is No Man's Sky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom