Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: What is it like now?

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So I gave up on playing NWN2 many moons ago when I realised how shitty some aspects of the system were.

Have the expansion/user mods made much improvement? Is the camera system still totally broken?

Want to recommend any mods? (Other then the uninstall mod)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The expansion is really good. Most of the user mods are crapbut there are some good ones. aboyd (I think) had a thread going where he dug them up. See if you can find it.

The camera takes some time to get used to, so get used to it. There's really nothing else to say. They've tried to fix it on numerous occasions and there's always someone who doesn't like the damn camera. I'm not sure Obsidian wants to fail any more at fixing something so trivial.

afewhours

Scholar
MotB introduced true marquee select, which is a major boost. Make sure you activate it when you install MotB and set your companions to puppet mode. It makes the game so much easier to control.

Thalkirst

Novice
MOTB is awesome, yes.

The controls are still quite shitty though.

Since I played with The Witcher, it is even more frustrating. The Witcher's solution for the camera is so much better that I can't really play NWN 2 now...

Lumpy

Arcane
MLMarkland said:
MotB was so awesome I applied for a job at Obsidian the day I finished it.
I wish you a lack of disappointment.

NiM82

Prophet
Barghest said:
So I gave up on playing NWN2 many moons ago when I realised how shitty some aspects of the system were.

Have the expansion/user mods made much improvement? Is the camera system still totally broken?

Want to recommend any mods? (Other then the uninstall mod)

They've revamped the camera system, improved the UI and added a BG style drag select system with patches. Obviously non of this has changed the core gameplay, but it's an improvement. Fans have also further improved/refined the UI (xUI ftw). MotB is ofc fucking awesome too, it is to NWN2 what PST was to BG2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lestat said:
BTW, Monty, we're still waiting you to post the promised examples of Purgatorio's dialogues.

BTW, Monty, we're still waiting for you to release Purgatorio.
what was the estimated release date btw? december 2006?

afewhours

Scholar
Thalkirst said:
The Witcher's solution for the camera is so much better that I can't really play NWN 2 now...

Teh Witcher's camera is fine, but I don't think it would work for a party based game.

Sarvis

Erudite
Has anyone figured out a way to hack in autopause yet?

I got tired of choosing between my character doing nothing for a few rounds and having them run off to fight things halfway across the map.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Lestat said:
BTW, Monty, we're still waiting you to post the promised examples of Purgatorio's dialogues.

I totally forgot about that. I will email myself a reminder (though folks will be able to play the first hub in the public beta/demo in a couple of weeks anyways).

skyway said:
Lestat said:

BTW, Monty, we're still waiting for you to release Purgatorio.
what was the estimated release date btw? december 2006?

I totally forgot about that. I will email myself a reminder (though folks will be able to play the first hub in the public beta/demo in a couple of weeks anyways).

Black

Arcane
MotB is pretty sexy, but I find it too short and small.
But that's the problem of every good game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I gave up on NWN2 somewhere in ch3. The problem is that there is no way I'm going to start MOTB without finishing the OC first so I'm in a jam. I'll have to find a way to complete the boring OC, because the voices in my head command me to do so before even thinking of starting the XP.

Also about the camera, how is it possible Obsidian can't figure out a good setting? Witchers far-view camera is perfect for party based combat. At least make all objects from certain point and upwards transparent, so they wont block the damn view. Also the fact that every time you enter a new area the angle of the camera resets is very annoying, why should we always have to re-adjust the stupid camera?

-rant over.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
ghostdog said:
I gave up on NWN2 somewhere in ch3. The problem is that there is no way I'm going to start MOTB without finishing the OC first so I'm in a jam. I'll have to find a way to complete the boring OC, because the voices in my head command me to do so before even thinking of starting the XP.

I had that same problem with Sacred. I didn't want to play the expansion without first finishing the main campaign.

Ended up selling both on eBay without completing either.

Lumpy

Arcane
Just why the fuck are you not going to play MotB without finishing the game? They're completely unrelated.

afewhours

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Just why the fuck are you not going to play MotB without finishing the game? They're completely unrelated.

Completitis. I know a few gamers who suffer from it.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
ghostdog said:

Also about the camera, how is it possible Obsidian can't figure out a good setting? Witchers far-view camera is perfect for party based combat. At least make all objects from certain point and upwards transparent, so they wont block the damn view. Also the fact that every time you enter a new area the angle of the camera resets is very annoying, why should we always have to re-adjust the stupid camera?

-rant over.

I actually think there are aspects of MotB that will be more engaging and rewarding if you play it before completing the OC.

/twocents

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
For anyone who hasn't picked it up already and lives in the UK. You can now pick up NWN2 + MOTB for £20 (£10 each) from popular online retailers e.g. Play or Amazon. Figured that since reviews were kind of mixed on NWN2 and you can't play MOTB without the original game there might be a few people out there like myself who were waiting for a price drop.

Texas Red

Whiner
There was never anything wrong with the camera. If it annoyed you to the extent that you couldn't play the game, then I don't know...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom