Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Fatty

Augur
In hindsight, The Kingsmouth Code was probably too brutal (and slightly ambiguous due to the fucking changes that were made to the map), but you have to hit people in the face with something in order to get their attention.
When I was designing it, it was the equivalent of "Wake up! You have to pay attention to shit in this game because other MMO's have been letting you play half asleep!"

I figured it would be the first investigation that most people did, and therefore needed to set the standard. Lessons learned.

It was a 'good' brutal, IMHO, but I did end up having to resort to spoilers after I swore I wouldn't. I got as far as acquiring the time but couldn't figure out what to do with it. After running across a blatant spoiler that got me through the Kingsmouth Code, I discovered the wiki has a nice Hint system (http://secretworld.wikia.com/wiki/The_Secret_World_Wiki) so I guess I'll use that going forward. I'm already completely lost trying to find the entrance to the underground (I swear I saw someone enter a trap door on Main Street but I've combed the streets and failed to find it so probably there is something I have to do first) and unless the starting point for The Vision is the lighthouse I'll probably be spoiling myself there too. Spend 2 hours wandering around trying to figure out those last night.

Disclaimer - I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Disclaimer 2 - this is pretty much my first MMO unless you count Diablo 2 or some brief exposure to some free ones 5+ years ago

I agree it would be nice to have multiple investigations going at once. I've been flipping between Digging Deeper and The Vision since I can't figure them out.

The game kicks ass...in my old age its rare that I can play a game for more than 30 minutes and I am still dropping 60-120 minutes at a time on this one. The trash mobs don't bother me too much since they give me something to do/progress on while I run around like a drunk asshole.

Cromwell

Arcane
Are there any infos when the new season will start? I stopped playing with the conclusion of what they called season one. I saw they have a few new issues but nothing there led me to believe that the overall story will go forward so I wanted to wait until thats happened.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Are there any infos when the new season will start? I stopped playing with the conclusion of what they called season one. I saw they have a few new issues but nothing there led me to believe that the overall story will go forward so I wanted to wait until thats happened.
Wasn't there supposed to be a completely new playfield? I guess "season 2" will start when we'll leave Tokyo.

"Season 1" ended with Issue 11 and since then they were expanding Egypt and Tokyo background stuff. For me both #13 and #15 are great (my kind of emo faggotry) and #14 was pretty solid (though it required navigating pyramids in the dark).

Not really following the game now (because I spend like 4h each day in AoC), but will hop in once some content is released.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Friend saw me playing, reactivated his membership and now we play together.
I hate MMOs THIS much :M

This is how I managed to finish fucking Borderlands and I hate Borderlands.

The moral of the story is to never have friends.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

The games we play because of friends. Also finished Borderlands because of friends... game was a tedious piece of crap.

Severian Silk

So, I just got this game. Any recommendations on a server or class? (Haven't played it yet.)

Jazz_

Arcane

What's the membership for? Isn't this game supposed to be pay for it once (ok more than once if you count the expansions etc) and you can play without monthly subscriptions?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

What's the membership for? Isn't this game supposed to be pay for it once (ok more than once if you count the expansions etc) and you can play without monthly subscriptions?
http://www.thesecretworld.com/membership/

Basically faster gains, points to spend in the item shop and some vanity/QoL stuff.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Think on the positive side, he will help speed up the terrible parts, enemies dying double the speed is actually something good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I just got this game. Any recommendations on a server or class? (Haven't played it yet.)
What server is everyone on? Can I PM any of you to join a guild?
Sorry I didn't see these questions until now. The game is cross-server except for PVP, so it doesn't matter which one you're on. There are no classes, just which weapons you use. I found Pistol/Shotgun very easy to solo with as it's high DPS. I also played Blood/Elemental which is a great healling/support combo, and Hammer/Sword which is more tanky. I mostly soloed with all these combos, you can get away with anything if you read the ability descriptions so if you just want to pick something that looks cool, go for it. No choices are permanent and you can always level up different weapons later.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played a bit last year and got bored a few hours into Kingsmouth, then decided to jump back in yesterday and been having fun with a shotgun/elemental. Anyone still playing? Would like to team up sometime.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Played a bit last year and got bored a few hours into Kingsmouth, then decided to jump back in yesterday and been having fun with a shotgun/elemental. Anyone still playing? Would like to team up sometime.
I'm only doing challenges for that thingie. Don't think I'll do anything serious this year.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Some upcoming changes for the game.
https://www.funcom.com/investors/funcoms_fourth_quarter_financial_report_for_2016

TSW.jpg

Aothan

Magister
sounds interesting, I've always heard good things about the game's writing, are there Australian servers ?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really do hope the combat will be redesigned.
Whenever I try to get back into the game, this horrible skill wheel, the limit to so few abilities and the sameyness of each single fight is just too much to bear.

sounds interesting, I've always heard good things about the game's writing
And they are true, the quests, writing and atmosphere are pretty unique for an MMO.
The game was always held back by the weird ass skill system and the horrible combat.

Gerrard

Arcane
"Introduction of new retention systems" ... in place of worthwhile content.
Go ahead and make an MMO that produces """"worthwhile content"""" at a pace that will keep up with its consumption by players.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Man, I expected some retooling but this is pretty major. And terrifying.
https://secretworldlegends.com
https://secretworldlegends.com/news/letter_from_the_producer/

Direct quotes come from http://massivelyop.com/ because TSW site is crapping its pants at the moment:

"Secret World Legends features combat that feels more natural, deep systems that are more intuitive, better structuring of the early game for new players, and improved mission flow to strengthen the pace of progression for players."

General
What is Secret World Legends?
We are relaunching our acclaimed story-driven online game The Secret World (TSW) as Secret World Legends, a shared-world action RPG with revamped combat, updated visuals, and newly designed progression systems and quest flow that is completely free to play.

Why are you relaunching the game?
We go into detail about the many reasons behind the relaunch of the game in our producer's letter to the community, which we hope you get a chance to read here: [Link]

But in short, we're incredibly proud of the ways in which The Secret World has grown in terms of the depth and extent of its storytelling, and we're ready for more players to be able to experience it in full by removing the hurdles of a pay upfront structure. It's also an opportune moment to bring this vibrant universe up to date with where we see modern action RPGs are, with some ambitious adjustments to gameplay, progression, structure, and more, which we hope will result in a more satisfying player experience overall.

How does Secret World Legends differ from The Secret World?

One major difference is that the game is free to play for everyone. But just as importantly, Secret World Legends has updates befitting a modern-day action RPG. This includes a redesigned combat system to make action feel more natural, more intuitive systems to interact with, enhanced visuals, and an improved flow of the quests, as well as the structure of the early game for new players.

What do you mean by “free to play”?
"Free-to-play" or F2P means that anyone can download and play Secret World Legends without spending any money to purchase the game. All content is available to everyone and does NOT require a subscription or purchase in order to play.

Is the game free?
Yes! Everyone can play what we feel is the best shared-world RPG on the market for free!

How do I play for free?
When we launch you will be able to download and play the game for free via the Steam client.

How much of the game is free?
All content in the game is free!

What about future content releases? Are those free?
All content will be free: current, past, and future!

Will I need a credit card to play?

You do NOT need a credit card to play. The game is free for everyone! If you want to make purchases in game via Steam then that can be done using the Steam wallet. Aurum and the Patron Bonus System will require a valid form of payment at the time you make the purchase.

Do I need Steam to play?
At launch Secret World Legends will only be available from Steam. We plan on adding a non-Steam version of Secret World Legends soon after the launch.

What is Aurum and what can I use it for?
Aurum is used to purchase a variety of in-game items and services in Secret World Legends. This includes but is not limited to: Additional Weapon Pages, Extra Inventory Space, Additional Characters, Exclusive Vanity Items, and much more!

How many characters do I get on my account?
By default each account grants access to 1 character slot. Additional character slots may be purchased in game.

What is the exchange?
The exchange allows you to buy Aurum from other players for in-game currency.

Is the game “Pay to Win” now?
No. You will be able to earn everything in the game without spending money.

Which languages are supported?
Secret World Legends is fully localized in English, German, and French.

Patron Rewards Program

What is the Patron Rewards Program?
The Patron Rewards Program is a loyalty program that rewards players with extra features, additional convenience, and in game bonuses. It is not required in order to play Secret World Legends.

How do I become a Patron?
To join you can purchase access to Patron Rewards Program in game. Once purchased you will be granted access to the Patron Rewards Program for 30 days.

What is Patron Level?
Your Patron Level grants additional bonuses to the Patron Rewards Program. Every purchase of Aurum or month you are a Patron will go towards increasing your rank. You can view your current Patron Level, Patron Status, and all related benefits in game by clicking the Patron Rewards Program icon in game.

What happens when I am no longer a Patron?
All benefits associated with the program are active while you are a Patron. When your time expires you will lose access to those bonuses, but you will keep your current Patron Level. The next time you join the Patron Rewards Program you will be back where you left off (or maybe a level higher!)

Returning Player FAQ:

Why are you relaunching the game?
We go into detail about the many reasons behind the relaunch of the game in our producer's letter to the community, which we hope you get a chance to read here.

But in short, we're incredibly proud of the ways in which The Secret World has grown in terms of thedepth and extent of its storytelling, and we're ready for more players to be able to experience it in full by removing the hurdles of a pay upfront structure. It's also an opportune moment to bring this vibrant universe up to date with where we see modern action RPGs are, with some ambitious adjustments to gameplay, progression, structure, and more, which we hope will result in a more satisfying player experience overall.

How does Secret World Legends differ from The Secret World?
One major difference is that the game is free to play for everyone. But just as importantly, Secret World Legends has updates befitting a modern-day action RPG. This includes a redesigned combat system to make action feel more natural, more intuitive systems to interact with, enhanced visuals, and an improved flow of the quests, as well as the structure of the early game for new players.

Will all content be available in game at launch?
We will be relaunching with the original 8 adventure playfields, scenarios, and dungeons. In the weeks/months after the relaunch we will be releasing Tokyo, Nightmare Dungeons, Raids, and the rest of the content that is current live in The Secret World.

How do I link my Steam account to my old account?
Once you have launched the game there will be a menu on the start screen that allows you to link your old ‘The Secret World’ account to your new Secret World Legends account. Click this button, log into your old account, and confirm that you want to link them.

What does linking your account do?
When you link your account you will be able to transfer over any remaining membership from TSW to Secret World Legends. In addition, you will be able to move over some vanity items from the previous game. You can also exchange your Funcom Points for Aurum.

What happens if I have an active subscription on TSW when the transition occurs?
After you have linked your account your old TSW subscription will roll over into a Patron Rewards Program time on Secret World Legends.

What about TSW Grand Masters?
Same as above. Link your Secret World Legends account to your old TSW account and you will become a Patron in Secret World Legends forever!

What happens to my old TSW character?

They still live on the old TSW servers. You can log in and play them. You will not be able to play them on the new Secret World Legends server though. It’s a new experience and fresh start for everyone.

What happens to all my stuff?
We are implementing a system to transfer over some vanity/store items from TSW to Secret World Legends. More on this will be released as we get closer to launch.

Do I need to create a new character?
Yes, everyone will begin Secret World Legends with a new character. The game has gone through some rather drastic changes to itemization and character progression that aren't compatible with the old game.

What about my name from TSW?
You will be able to reserve a name on your current TSW account to be used in Secret World Legends. You can find out more about this process here.

What about my bonus points, Funcom points?
After you have linked your account there will be an option to convert your Funcom points to the new Aurum. Bonus Points will remain in TSW and can be used on the old server.

I don’t have a subscription, can I play when it goes free to play?
Definitely! Secret World Legends is free and available for everyone to play.

Will the old version of the game be playable?
Yes, the TSW servers will still be available to play. You will not be able to launch TSW via Steam though. If you are currently playing on Steam and want to continue after the launch of Secret World Legends you can do so here.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Well, that's interesting. Then again I'm not really interested in paying for the same content again, even with a better combat :< Depends on how good the P2P system will be. Might just get the Tokyo pack when it goes on the sale, finish the content be done done with TSW, legends or no.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
yeah ok the combat is intuitive and natural and shit... but what does that mean? because this game was great with the exception of the shittiest, slowest, most boring combat in existence, How is the new combat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom