Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anarchy Online

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
It was a great game to explore with a couple of friends. Try and figure out it all works without a guide. Watching in wonder as people pay millions to get buffs from traders, fly around in cars, organize kewl duels. That first time you enter the condemned subway and meet Abmouth Supremus. AO and Shadowbane were the mmo's I trully enjoyed, well and that Korean Silk Road crap for a while.

The Reck Released January 27 2017, a new area--for all factions--on Rubi-Ka for levels 90-170+

TheReck1.jpg

Here:
http://www.anarchy-online.com/news/welcome-to-the-reck
http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?615548-Welcome-to-The-Reck
Welcome to The Reck

Today marks the opening of a new region on Rubi-Ka: The Reck. Here is a brief preview of what awaits!

The main goal of this playfield is to offer a new region of camps and encounters to help characters leveling through title levels 4 and 5. Daily missions within this playfield are only available to characters levels 90 through 170. Despite the intended level range, and mission requirements, however, the playfield will be accessible to everyone! Tir and Omni-1 Trade both house the entrances to this new region.
I just recently started playing Anarchy Online again after swearing I'd never play it again almost 4 years ago. What's there to say? I've made a couple new chars. My opinions haven't changed about the game, but the allure of Rubi-Ka still draws me to it.

They of course are trying to get the froobs up to 200 faster by streamlining everything. Got a Korean lead developer now. Nothing they're doing is new to me. /pain. With Everquest, I saw it all--just didn't realize it at the time.

For the uninformed, don't try it if you're allergic to autoattack or old mmorpgs in general.

EDIT: I searched these forums for "Anarchy Online" and had no recollection I posted in this thread.

Last edited:
And btw their 'tutorial' didn't impress me. I am of course playing on the old client, but I don't think the new one changes anything much. The game is still going to confuse the hell out of you if you've never played. Part of the problem is how unpolished it can be. The other problem is it's hard to squish all of the things they're trying to squish into it. They're trying to teach you to tradeskill and make implants and combat and pick a faction and train your skills and (whatever else) all in one place. I'm not sure if that should be possible.

Thinking back on the noob island they had before, I struggle to see how this one is better? Maybe worse? This one tries to show you how to tradeskill and make implants, but after playing it for some time it feels lacking or overburdened?

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
How do they make money with this? considering the cost of keeping the servers up and the lowish population and that it's free (?) and old as hell.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
So, the game finally hit Steam on thursday. I've been making my new froob agent for the past week, if anyone's interested in returning/giving it a go, hit me up. Whatever you do, don't go Omni if you want to meet other people/level quicker.

The Colonist bundle is pretty laughable, 20 jewro for some leveling gear, eh. Could have offered some free months at least.

How do they make money with this? considering the cost of keeping the servers up and the lowish population and that it's free (?) and old as hell.

Only the vanilla game + first addon are free. All the expansions still require a membership of 17 EUR per month (9 EUR, if you sub for year). There's also Funcom points you can buy to get some shit from the ingame-store. Basically what keeps it alive is couple of hundred loyal oldfags paying for several alt accounts at once to multibox with.

The game is old as shit, the staff consists of one guy, the new content takes 10 years to implement, the sub fees are astronomical, but it's still a one of a kind game you won't find anywhere else.

Whatever you do, don't go Omni if you want to meet other people/level quicker.
why? has all the population converted to the filthy clan?

edit: you forgot to add "and it's unplayable because 90% of the content is thought with groups in mind".
temple of the three winds... so many hours spent in front of it looking for group...

edit again: i couldn't find an answer. is still the same "vanilla + notum wars is free, anything else costs a kidney" plan?
found the answer:
Create a free to play account (froob). You will have access to Level 200. But you will not be able to do expansion content (Shadowlands, Notum Wars, Alien Invasion, Lost Eden).
even worse! not even pvp anymore.

Last edited:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
why? has all the population converted to the filthy clan?

It sure looks like it, the Omni cities and chat are completely dead compared to Clanner ones. I think they were doomed by design as their cities are too messy/inconvenient to serve as proper hubs, compared to Borealis or Old Athens. There's also a Unionist Foreman NPC in 4 Holes that gives a free, 0 NCU 35% experience buff that lasts for 4 hours and through death, which really give neut/clan noobie an advantage.

edit: you forgot to add "and it's unplayable because 90% of the content is thought with groups in mind".
temple of the three winds... so many hours spent in front of it looking for group...

Depends. If you pick a gear dependent profession without means of getting high ql weapons, then yeah, you will suck, but pick a pet class, ask for some Mochams in Bor and you're suddenly a soloing machine. That's what makes AO so appealing to me- twinking and pushing your chars to the point where they can destroy group content.

Besides, finding groups for Subway/ToTW/Foremans isn't hard at all, there's always people there. They've added some nice gear for newbies as well, daily missions will help with getting past the slog of early levels and the new zone Reck has finally given some love to the post 100 crowd.

Dlbens, I don't much fancy The Reck. It reminds me of TSS in Everquest. See they already had content up to about level 70. Then they made TSS. It goes up to 75, I think. It had everything from level 1 to 75. It was SUPPOSED to be the go to place for all levelling players, especially CR, but in many ways it was a poor substitute for past content. They should have just deleted everything before TSS and then polished what was there, or made it higher level content only and balanced it with the rest of the world. They didn't learn their lesson, none of the MMORPG companies ever do. They weren't happy just getting par, so they went to greater extremes. With OMM, they replaced vast swathes of level 70+ content for level ~78+ players. This time they didn't bother creating a continent and lore and so on. They just created an instance and recycled old zones and put it in the main city. It was sort of fun maybe, but it was appallingly counter to the rest of the game, underhanded and shrunken. I may have known alreayd, but the point was drilled into me with OMM>>> Companies do not care about the world or the loyalty of players, they only care about $$$ and will gladly impale their longtime players and put them over a fire for it. I definitely admire them making The Reck, as a separate accomplishment on its own, but in context to the rest of Rubi-Ka it feels like a cheap ploy to get froobs to 200, and to advertise itself in hopes people will come see it. That's great and all, but I'd rather see them work on ALL of Rubi-Ka, or remove it altogether. I'd rather steer away from The Reck and just explore Rubi-Ka. Exploring Rubi-Ka has always been satisfying.

Is that what this is about? MMORPGs start out on a strong foot, but then they take the cheap way out. They do this nearly everytime. Years and years of collectively taking the cheap alternative kills the game.

EDIT: My trader is level 50 now. Got killed by the slayerdroid in 20k. Watch for it if you visit. A lot of players are doing clan for some xp bonus(?), but I like playing Omni. I see a lot of players anyway. In fact, I've been surprised how many players I see. Some are boxes, but people still play this. And I'm not even visiting TOTW.

Wish I could get some of that "Wet'n Red" in Omni-Entertainment :0

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
My parents bought this for me from ebay probably around 2001 or so, and the guy never mailed it out to me. I tried to ask him to send it. But he told me he had been busy, and he'd be putting it in the trunk of his car tomorrow. Never happened, and I never got to play.

deama

Prophet
I tried this a couple years ago and it was quite fun, but it seemed kinda dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom