Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There is no fast travel time as far as I know, in Rimworld universe, everyone just go cryosacket and travel for hundred\thousand of years. Hence biological years and true years.

So how do I use animals to chase down fleeing enemies?
I trained a panther specifically for this (release 2/2), set it to accompany its master when he's drafted, made sure it's not limited by areas, pressed The Button when enemies started fleeing and... nothing happened. The panther just keeps herp-a-derping around its master like the runners aren't hostile.
I hope animals aren't meant only for straight up fights, 'cause that would be p. fucking dumb, given how easily they get killed or crippled into uselessness.

Dead Guy

Cipher
Isn't that what happens with Obedience trained? I haven't played with Release too much but I'm pretty sure I managed to send my wolves and grizzlys into a room infested with insectoids without sending the master in, haven't had much luck with chasing fleeing enemies, though.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't that what happens with Obedience trained? I haven't played with Release too much but I'm pretty sure I managed to send my wolves and grizzlys into a room infested with insectoids without sending the master in, haven't had much luck with chasing fleeing enemies, though.
I'm not an expert, but as I recall Obedience just means they follow you around when hunting or fighting, giving enemies another target. They don't actually launch and attack unless Released.

RKade8583

Novice
I want to play this game. I own it and I've tried to play it but I can't see what I'm doing because everything's so similar in color. This game needs a high-contrast mod... or a highlight mode.

Beastro

Arcane
Looking really neat from an LP I recently saw. Still don't want to get caught into messing with it without good mods. Think I'll get into the habit of playing the latest outdated versions once the newer ones come out to maximize that.

Get some mods then, there are plenty out there that change the way things look (including rocks, grass, flowers, trees and such)

Do you have names? Or a website? Because I'm not finding anything compatible on the steam workshop. Maybe I just suck at searching?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?board=15.0

Only 2/3 (if that) of mods end up on steam, besides the cosmetic ones are usually baked into something bigger anyway, so it's gonna be tough finding exactly what you need based on tags or keywords.

Check out some of the modpacks or mods (in)directly related to whatever you have problem with.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
We recently asked whether players would rather have the bugfix-only update released, or if they’d prefer we just kept working and waited until we had new content to release.

The results aligned with my personal thinking, which is that the disruptive effect of a release (breaking various compatibilities) isn’t worth it for a bugfix-only release. So, we’ve been adding new content! Alpha 17 will basically be two updates combined, where one of them was a refinement-and-fix overhaul.

I’m not going to go into detail on exactly what’s coming (that’s what the update videos are for!) But here are some basic notes on things in progress. The update will focus on enriching the content in the world, and create more reasons to use the planet-travel caravan system:

• Roads and rivers across the world (multiple categories of each).
  • Rivers across the world.
  • Redone enemy base generation.
  • Enemy AI overhauls. They’ll be harder to cheese in various ways and act more sensibly.
  • A new class of incidents that initiate quest opportunities on the world map. These are driven by a new combinatorial “site” system that allows us to create destinations to go to out of multiple “pieces”. This creates more variation than we would get if we just had single quest destinations. Now we can take any “site core” from a library, surround it with “site parts” from another library and the system will generate them all together. So, you could have a core that is a stash of gold, and add on “manhunter animals” and “abandoned turret line” around it, and the map generator will combine those. The number of possible combinations can get large quickly. This update will keep it pretty basic, but for future updates I hope to have larger site part libraries, which will create massive variation.
  • People can tend their own wounds now!
  • Tons and tons of rebalancing and detailed redesign to make skills matter more, make the economy more coherent and balanced, make animal farming for meat viable, make cannibalism a bit less ho-hum, make surgery not absurd, make room stats matter in a sensible way, make storyteller incidents more varied, and so on.
Based on man-hours, Alpha 17 will probably be the most substantial update yet. RimWorld has become quite a beast in terms of design complexity, so it does take a lot longer now to design and tune things so they integrate into the rest of the game well, don’t overwhelm players with complexity, and don’t create weird exploits or nonsensical outcomes. But, that’s all part of the inherent challenge of designing a tightly-integrated, wholly-procedural colony sim!

Still working, no release date! To discuss this post, please join us on the forum thread for this post.

Beastro

Arcane
Granite walls usually are enough to keep even bigger storages safe, doing it with wood will cause trouble though. One of my earliest colonies failed because I had about 30 batteries or so in one giant wooden room. Once the inevitable short-circuit happened the explosion impact killed half my colony immediately, the remaining half died due to my mountain-base transformating into a gigantic sauna in the matter of seconds.

Old used mines near your base are a good place to store place them, especially if you mine with them in mine and make little cubbies to place them in with stone walls in between so when one explodes the walls largely encase the explosion.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
f you wish, you can now play Alpha 17's test version on the 'unstable' Steam beta branch.

Bear in mind that this is an unstable version, so there will be bugs, and the build will be updated without warning, possibly breaking your saved games. Please only participate if you're okay with that.

For those who do want to be public testers - the purpose of this is for us to get your feedback! The most useful things you can give are:
  • Bug reports: If you find a bug, please report it in the Bugs forum according to the very simple Bug reporting guideline. One bug per report thread please, and don't report bugs in any other forum than that please.
  • Play stories: Stories about something that happened that seem cool or wrong. These can go in this thread or on another General thread.
  • Balance feedback: Thoughts on the current balance and mechanics, ideally with a play story. These can go in this thread or on another General thread.
I'm only announcing this here because I don't want this going too far and wide in terms of news. To that end I'm also not going to lay out a whiz-bang feature upgrade list. I want to keep up some hype for the actual final release of the stable version.

I'm also requesting that video makers not use unstable versions (though I won't do anything about it if they do).

Also note that language translation and player creative content data is a few weeks out of date. It will be updated before final release.

Thank you all public testers for participating!

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Played around a little with the new version, first thing I noticed is that the early-game has become more difficult.

Skill matters a lot more, especially at lower levels, since the workspeed has decreased and failure-rates have increased at low skill levels. You won't be able to mine out your colony in the first 2-3 days with non-proficient colonists, crops take longer to plant and grow but produce more raw materials once harvested (thus lowering the overall yield when using many colonists with low growing-skill instead of 2-3 dedicated ones), building anything remotely sophisticated will either cost you way more resources or simply fail all the time unless you put a decent builder on the project. Good luck building a solar panel on day 1 with a shitty builder without wasting half your components.

Animal farming has become a decent way to sustain your colony now, both milking and slaughtering animals provides much more food. Foraging has also become a much better way to survive until the slower growing crops can finally be harvested. Food scarcity will become a more crippling problem in most biomes that don't support growing year-round. Blights are becoming an actual nightmare now. Tynan did say that he plans on changing blights though, so that the player is able to kill off the infected crops to save the remaining stock. Will probably not make it into the game in a17 though.

Haven't gotten too deep into the new version yet, will probably wait for a stable release with some of the mods I cannot live without anymore working properly. Seems to be another good patch so far, mostly focused on changing number and balancing certain features but after the last few patches all brought major features into the game already I am fine with him cleaning up the game for once.

Fun(TM) shit is still possible, for example beheading/harvesting every vital organ and still keeping the colonist alive with luciferum+wakeup+go juice. For just one charge of luciferum you get to harvest three more organs that can be sold for 500silver a pop. What a steal!
7861bmhs8vvy.jpg

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
for example beheading/harvesting every vital organ and still keeping the colonist alive with luciferum+wakeup+go juice.

With the right mod that adds suicide bomber vests i can turn some colonists into these guys. Gotta be a fun way to dispose of someone.

Ss1kamikaze_b.png

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
for example beheading/harvesting every vital organ and still keeping the colonist alive with luciferum+wakeup+go juice.

With the right mod that adds suicide bomber vests i can turn some colonists into these guys. Gotta be a fun way to dispose of someone.

Ss1kamikaze_b.png
Sounds like a great idea. Remember to tame some boomalopes and pod-launch them onto besieging/attacking raiders for additional style-points. Or make a cobra-farm (they produce a shitton of high value eggs) and attack pirate-outposts with a single animal-taming colonist, then drop hundreds of snakes on them while they sleep.

http://imgur.com/a/1qgqJ

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Alpha 17 released
Alpha 17 – On the Road has been released! This version brings roads and rivers to the world, new world quests, new tools for modders, new combat tools, smarter AI, and rebalancings and adjustments across the whole design.

I’m afraid that this build is not compatible with saved games from previous versions, or mods from previous versions. However, you can continue to use the old version until you’re ready to update. If you’re on Steam, to continue using the old version, go to your Steam Library, right-click on RimWorld, click Properties. Open the Betas tab and use the drop-down menu to select the alpha16 version. Restart Steam to force an update.

If you downloaded the game DRM-free, you can update whenever you like by re-downloading from your existing download link. Your link is always the same and always gives the latest version.

In the old builds, balance problems meant that some exploit-y strategies did work and obviated some of the challenges in the game. Since those problems are now fixed, you may find the game a little bit more difficult. It wouldn’t hurt to play at one notch lower difficulty to start with in Alpha 17. You can always increase the difficulty later, even during the game, through the options menu.

I invite discussion on this post at this forum thread!

A summary of the changes in this alpha follows:

Roads and rivers

• World now generates with roads and rivers
  • There are five road types: path, dirt road, stone road, ancient asphalt road, ancient asphalt highway
  • Some roads generate with things alongside, like concrete barriers or ancient lampposts
  • There are four sizes of river: huge river, large river, river, and creek
  • Rivers generate more in rainy areas, move towards the sea (ignoring tiny lakes) and merge as appropriate
  • Rivers and roads generate on local maps as expected.
  • Stone roads generate using local stone and a new flagstone terrain type.
  • Visitors, caravans, traders, and raiders tend to arrive and leave on the roads.
  • World generation is more chronological now. First continents form, then rivers, then an ancient society is shallowly simulated to generate ancient roads, then modern settlements and roads are generated (alongside ancient roads, often).
World quests

• New “site parts” world site generation system. It allows assembling together a world destination from several ‘parts’. Mixing and matching will allow us to create a huge number of combinations.
  • New world quest incident: Item stash. An allied faction tells you about a stash of randomly-generated reward items, guarded by a random threat. You can send a caravan to defeat the threat and collect the reward.
  • New world quest incident: Bandit camp. An allied faction asks you to defeat a bandit camp, and offers you a reward if you do so.
  • New world quest incident: Caravan request. An allied faction asks you to deliver a particular resource to a particular base in a particular time frame, for a special reward.
  • New ‘long-range mineral scanner’ building slowly scans for precious resource lumps nearby in the world. You need to send a caravan to collect them. Lumps may be defended.
  • New caravan incident: Payment demand. Raiders demand items or slaves from your caravan; if you refuse, they attack.
Other new stuff

• Added smokepop belt. Emits a cloud of accuracy-reducing smoke when the wearer is shot. Smoke also prevents turret targeting.
  • Characters can now tend their own wounds (with a penalty to effectiveness).
  • Added bowler hat.
  • Corpses now leak black corpse bile while rotting.
  • Vents can be opened and closed with a flick action.
  • Add option to render hats only on the main game map (but not on the portraits in the pawn bar).
  • Bills can now be temporarily paused when satisfied, until automatically reactivated at a lower level. This reduces the need for pawns to repeatedly return to the work bench each time the count falls just one below the target count.
  • You can now create your own packaged survival meals (with appropriate research and ingredients).
  • All pawns now have “head butt” attacks they can use if they’re missing all other attacking body parts.
  • Added a “caravan packing spot” so you can tell your caravans where to assemble.
  • When trees burn, the leave behind burned tree stumps.
  • When structures and plants burn, they leave behind ash.
  • Carpets and wooden floors can now burn.
  • New training lessons for explaining shield belts, and how door opening speed is affected by material type.
  • Added ambrosia sprout incident. This sprouts a grove of the pleasurable, nutrition, and addictive ambrosia fruit trees nearby.
  • New ‘wimp’ trait makes pawn incapacitated from even a relatively small amount of pain.
  • New chain shotgun weapon
Modding

• Modders can now add “def modifiers” which, instead of replacing a whole def, change specific fields of that def. This allows multiple mods to change the same def without wiping each others’ changes (unless they change the same field, of course).
  • Information on how to use def modifiers is in this forum thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32735.0
  • Various enums are now defs so modders can add new ones (TrainableIntelligence , DamageArmorCategory, ImpactSoundType, ReservationLayer, BillRepeatMode, PrisonerInteractionMode, FleshType).
  • GUI tables (like most of the main tabs along the bottom of the screen) are now defined by data, making it easier to add, rearrange, sort, and change columns on the UI.
Increasing skill relevance

• Mining skill reworked: Steeper speed penalty for low skill. Mining yield is now slightly dependent on mining skill.
  • Trade price spread made much wider, but social skill also has a much greater effect on it.
  • Added “animal gather speed” stat which makes some pawns faster at gathering wool or milk.
  • Added “animal product yield” stat which makes some pawns more/less likely to waste the product when gathering wool or milk.
  • Removed post-process curve from melee hit chance so it uses the simple level-by-level tuning. It’ll be much harder to hit things now at low melee skills. Note: Default hit chance is 0.6 for pawns without skills. This equals the chance of a pawn with melee skill 6.
  • Added a melee dodge stat, so better melee-skilled pawns will have more advantage. Pawns don’t melee dodge while aiming or firing ranged weapons.
  • Work tab boxes are easier to identify skill level for visually.
  • Added small crunching sound that plays when you assign a pawn to a skill they’re terrible at.
AI

• AI has more intelligent ranged shot target selection with random elements. Harder to exploit, and looks less dumb, doesn’t shoot at chickens as much.
  • Raider with mega-weapons will now avoid friendly fire
  • Sapper groups will now choose another sapper if the first one is killed, making them much more persistent.
  • Sapper groups will now continue digging even while defending from attack.
  • Animals flee when harmed.
  • Added a new state to caravan lord job, “bloody exit”, which makes the exit individually, as aggressively as possible. This makes it a bit hard to rob caravans.
  • Raiders will no longer compulsively attack doors.
  • Base defense AI is touchier; stealth raids will be much much more difficult (and probably infeasible most of the time).
  • Doctors now tend heavy bleeding injuries and diseases near lethal severity first.
Misc

• Plants now have different graphics when they are harvestable – you can see the berries/cotton/corn on the plant ready to be taken.
  • Buy/sell price spread for trading is much wider (150%/50%).
  • Drugs are now slower to produce, slower to grow, and heavier.
  • Cannibalism is harder on mood.
  • Integrated incidents (ambush, manhunters, etc) better with caravans and temporary maps. Incidents can now target both of these, and the story state (incident cooldowns, etc) is passed back and forth between a caravan and its map to maintain continuity.
  • Plant generation algorithm for map start reworked to generate plants in more interesting patterns, with denser areas and more clear areas interspersed, and groves of trees in sparse biomes.
  • New graphics for some floor types and things (stone floors, stone chunks, etc).
  • Made crop growing cycles significantly longer, especially for long-cycle plants like corn.
  • Shifted all medical potencies so that normal medicine has potency of 1.0. (This increases surgery success chances).
  • Added global sell price factor for apparel (70%) and furniture (70%).
  • Rebalanced drug economy so it’s viable to buy neutroamine, make drugs with it, and sell them.
  • Because it was way OP, chemfuel can no longer be made from haygrass.
  • Reworked surgery success chances. We now feedback room surgery success chance on medical bed. Rebalanced room surgery success chance calculations and fixed a bug where it was 100% when outdoors. Removed surgery success chance exponents.
  • Colonists wearing human leather clothes now get a negative thought (unless they have a bloodlust or cannibal trait, in which case they get a mood bonus).
  • Balanced blood loss recovery time to be much slower (50 real seconds -> 4 game days)
  • Buffed mortars so players use them: Cheaper/faster to build, faster shooting, greater accuracy, cheaper shells
  • Armor now takes a constant fraction of incoming damage instead of absorbing all prevented damage. This solves an issue where good quality armor would be destroyed sooner.
  • Sun lamps now turn themselves off when plants are resting
  • Equipment rack is now a general shelf which can hold pretty much anything.
  • Small items like gold and silver are now 10x smaller, not 20x, so it’s more feasible to build things from them.
  • Jade is not small any more.
  • Other bases regenerate their trade stock less often.
  • Changed flammability for fur and leather to 100%, and for meat to 50%.
  • Manhunter pack incident can now use any kind of animal.
  • Rebalanced all trader stock generation.
  • Traders will generate with fewer extreme quality items.
  • Pawns missing heads will have visually missing heads.
  • It’s no longer possible to create a settlement directly adjacent to an existing settlement.
  • Caravans now enter/leave tiles when touching the tile boundary, instead of when in the center of the adjacent tile.
  • Redesigned how capacities are calculated from body part efficiencies with an entirely new collection of algorithms, to stop various nonsensical cases and simplify how health conditions can affect the body.
  • Gear tab now displays item stack masses.
  • Caravans now generate a lot tougher.
  • All caravans now buy art. Art is lighter (e.g. easier to sell) and has a sell price bonus so it’s now a better trade good.
  • Catharsis thought is more powerful but shorter in duration.
  • Redesigned stats so that in almost all cases, high numbers are better.
  • Rebalanced the beauty system to be much more dependent on art; random furniture has less or no beauty effect.
  • Ship part crash incident now scatters rubble and chunks around the crash site.
  • Healroot grows wild now, in some biomes
  • Added caravan route planner. It allows placing several waypoints, and measures the time to travel the route along them.
  • There is now a progress dialog while the planet mesh is generating (so people don’t think the game crashed).
  • Date system reworked. Seasons are now arbitrary “quadrums” which cover 1/4 of the year and are the same on the whole planet.
  • Fixed various memory leaks.
  • Many exploits mitigated or prevented by various design tweaks.
  • Many, many, many other bugfixes, tunings, and redesigns.
I invite discussion on this post at this forum thread!

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Great. Time to wait for some of the more important mods to update and get back in there.

Money well spent on a product that for once doesn't get abandoned after the first wave of early-access money made the dev rich.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom