Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Uh when only one person in the thread is saying he finished the game that quickly you should consider the possibility that he's a freakishly fast reader before pulling out he Fargo memes

Don't try to ruin my fun.

:rpgcodex:

Also...what does one more shilling matter, Infi?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So apparently I started the endgame sequence after ~14 hours. Main char has an excess of 500 XP so I doubt I missed anything major. I expected something similar to PoE in length but this is much closer to AoD.
14 hours??? Jesus. Fargo promised that Sagus is like 30% of the game!

5b9.jpg

This pic should be really added to our smilies.

image.jpg

Here, I improved my OC.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So apparently I started the endgame sequence after ~14 hours. Main char has an excess of 500 XP so I doubt I missed anything major. I expected something similar to PoE in length but this is much closer to AoD.
14 hours??? Jesus. Fargo promised that Sagus is like 30% of the game!

5b9.jpg

This pic should be really added to our smilies.

If you actually watch the film, the guy in the photo isn't actually a liar. The main character writes that to make himself think he's a liar rather than accept the truth.

But that's not as much fun. Goddamn funruiners.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Uh when only one person in the thread is saying he finished the game that quickly you should consider the possibility that he's a freakishly fast reader before pulling out he Fargo memes

Ok, but I seeing a lot of reviews pointing that the game is 36 to 40h MAX. This is still ridiculous for a 4 years dev game.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Tbh Colin said it's at least 20 hours WITHOUT reading.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am fascinated to see what will happen with Inifere's dialogue in translation. I ran a phrase of it by a very talented Polish translator and after much wrangling he managed to make something with it, but only with my deconstructing the sentence and his spending a lot of time on it. If Inifere's dialogue is just literally translated it will be nonsensical.

Oh you don't have to worry about it, it appears most translations are dumpster fires all the way through, so Inifere's dialogue being nonsensical won't stand out. Personally I can say that what I played of the game in spanish (not much) was a tortuous experience.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
If my posts are giving you pause then don't buy it. It's not on the level of PS:T, nowhere close, it just has the surface elements, but none of the understanding, character drama or setting that makes sense within the context of the narrative. Sure, the setting is "weird", but it's that only for the sake of it. I'd even say it's just a mishmash of random "weird" ideas.
Yeah I changed my mind on the way home. I'll wait for a sale.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

And it's supposed to be replayable with different C&C, just like AoD. Apparently some whiners didn't get the memo.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The controversy over Castilian vs. Latin American Spanish amused me (as someone whose learned Spanish variously from a Cuban-American, a Costa Rican school, and a semester abroad in Spain).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The controversy over Castilian vs. Latin American Spanish amused me (as someone whose learned Spanish variously from a Cuban-American, a Costa Rican school, and a semester abroad in Spain).
All just look like mangled portuguese to me :tbs:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!

And it's supposed to be replayable with different C&C, just like AoD. Apparently some whiners didn't get the memo.

Can anyone confirm that though? Propably too early to tell I guess.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I am fascinated to see what will happen with Inifere's dialogue in translation. I ran a phrase of it by a very talented Polish translator and after much wrangling he managed to make something with it, but only with my deconstructing the sentence and his spending a lot of time on it. If Inifere's dialogue is just literally translated it will be nonsensical.

Oh you don't have to worry about it, it appears most translations are dumpster fires all the way through, so Inifere's dialogue being nonsensical won't stand out. Personally I can say that what I played of the game in spanish (not much) was a tortuous experience.

Polish translation is not bad from what I've seen so far. The Genocide-->Genocyd example was perhaps questionable, it's an archaic term without contemporary usage, I guess the guy thought I'd would add flavor, but ended up causing laughs instead. Translating names is always tricky.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
This LPer's bemusement at the random reference I threw in here made me laugh.

EDIT: Ha, he's equally perplexed by the Cleve reference that follows.

Oh yeah you wrote philethis right? That would have been a cool companion too.

If I didn't know beforehand, I would have thought he's joinable based on the coversation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Question - if I join the Cult of the Changing God so I can use them for free rests, can I leave and join another faction when it's convenient?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Nah, the philethis would not have been a good companion. The shtick gets old fast, as anyone who watched the ur-philethis Kosh on Babylon 5 knows. :D I think the three encounters with it (them?) are ample for that character.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Nah, the philethis would not have been a good companion. The shtick gets old fast, as anyone who watched the ur-philethis Kosh on Babylon 5 knows. :D I think the three encounters with it (them?) are ample for that character.
I'd take him in a heartbeat over those people that I carried mostly for extra effort points and cipher slots

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Just finished. Steam clocks me at 26 hours. I do read. It is possible I did skip some sidequest I did not find.

Also: Rhin is bonkers, she basically gets nano skills + shitton of ciphers (and an ability not to use cipher while, well, using it). Invest in running, solve crisises. Or grenade the shit out of people.
Though her artifact slots are wasted, stealth doesn't do shit in this game (wastes too much time) and second god does nothing (oversight? cut content?)

I knew the character seemed familiar :D

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd take him in a heartbeat over those people that I carried mostly for extra effort points and cipher slots

You know, that's my biggest gripe with the game so far. Having dialogues and interaction with environment tied to a dice roll felt fresh and engaging at first, but if you're trying to play completionist, it quickly becomes a game of how do I extract more points, instead of an roleplaying game.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The problem isn't really the lack of castillian, but that the transaltion is just really, really bad (it also lacks the color distinction between dialogue and prose). But yeah, you won't make friends among spaniards if you don't localize specifically for us. We're used of getting everything localized and our english level is in general really, really poor, so a lot of people rely on dubbing/translations, and if those are in latin american spanish... it won't be well recieved here even if it's a good translation/dub.

"In his vault, the Cloven One..." "...he has no legs and takes no steps." That's him alright, haha. Brilliant.:ibelieveincleve:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
But yeah, you won't make friends among spaniards if you don't localize specifically for us.

Disgusting. Everyone knows Latin American spanish is best spanish. I can't stand all the "oye" and "tío" in Spanish translations.

That said, I shit on all who can't even speak English, Latin Americans and Spaniards alike.

21476.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

"In his vault, the Cloven One..." "...he has no legs and takes no steps." That's him alright, haha. Brilliant.:ibelieveincleve:

I do what I can. Prosper and the tolling of the bell are hit in the same conversation.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The problem isn't really the lack of castillian
I've seen two (three?) reviews specifically complaining about the lack of Castillian, but it would be awesome if that's just shorthand for bad Spanish. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom