Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

JBro

Arbiter
for those who've played it, does it feel like Gothic? are you on a leash? can you get fucked up if you go the "wrong" way?

If you go into a hot or cold area without the proper clothes, you'll take damage. If you run into a strong enemy, even close to the starting point, you can die in one hit because they do over 3 hearts of damage when you have little or no armor.

Kraszu

Prophet
You can also get to the end area from the start, the games does look like allot of fun, there is good exploration there where you actually look for stuff not just follow an arrow, no level scaling, climbing, shield surfing, and parachute for faster traveling, and teleport system instead of fast travel, the runes with various powers looks interesting as well. Hopefully those design elements will become more popular now since Nintendo had implemented them, it is funny becouse I recall Gothic 2 being bashed by some reviews for making you die, and for lack of level scaling, and lack of fast travel, but now those can be design decision in a 10/10 game.

It is also pretty impressive that they manage to make 100 towers (that act like mini zelda dungeons), and each looks to be pretty unique in the puzzles that it offers.

Projared review:

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
The Wii U and switch comparison. Their frame rate drops seem to be consistent with each other

Are the hundred mini - dungeons good?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Are the hundred mini - dungeons good?

I've heard that while they are different, most puzzles are very simple and straight foward (specially if already have played other Zelda's).
But the game's poprer dungeons are on par with Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Master Quest only difference is that they are bigger and bir more complex.

Soooo.... Incline?

sullynathan

Arcane
The mainstream media is gushing over the Switch starting from the release
This is wrong, the mainstream is obliterating the switch and calling it mediocre, even IGN gave the switch a 6.9/10.

I haven't played it, obviously.

But it sounds to me like this game is getting perfect scores because it is the first Nintendo game to do what other games have been doing for years.

I think the mainstream games media always weigh Nintendo games with a couple of extra points on every review they give them.

Being able to climb is novel, I'll admit.
This would have made sense if the mainstream wasn't gushing over games like the Witcher 3 which also did the same shit every other game did years ago. Nintendo doesn't always get good reviews but their products are on average of greater quality than their competitors.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The mainstream media is gushing over the Switch starting from the release
This is wrong, the mainstream us obliterating the switch and calling it mediocre, even IGN gave the switch a 6.9/10.
*shrugs* I just remember the initial reaction when they were tripping all over eachother to call Nintento the great innovator again.

jungl

Augur
I doubt this game is 10/10 material. Looks like assassin creed black flag in quality. There is a crap ton of money for gaming industry and investors to be made to have nintendo drones that buy all those amibos to go out in droves and by this new zelda so naturally you have all these shilled reviews.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I doubt this game is 10/10 material. Looks like assassin creed black flag in quality. There is a crap ton of money for gaming industry and investors to be made to have nintendo drones that buy all those amibos to go out in droves and by this new zelda so naturally you have all these shilled reviews.

We got no good games today, that is the problem, so a decent game gets overhyped, and the power of marketing by Nintendo.

If it was some unknown title by an unkown company in the 90's it would be a 7/10 probably

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Projared review:

What the fuck. Half of the things he praises so much were already done in Skyrim, not to mention previous games.

This game sounds overhyped as fuck.

Nintendo gave him switch and breath of the wild, also he did interview with Reggie before this

this should tell you everything about the fairness of his review, probably aiming for some Nintendo bonus $$$

While some of his reviews might've been ok in the past, this one clearly smells of Nintendo $$$$

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Nintendo gave him switch and breath of the wild, also he did interview with Reggie before this

this should tell you everything about the fairness of his review, probably aiming for some Nintendo bonus $$$

Hmmm, guess that explains it. Zelda fanboy + free console + free game = most positive review ever made for a videogame, ever.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Found an ok review that gave it 7/10

People seem to polarize way too much here. If you don´t agree that BotW is "the best game ever made" and "totally worth 10/10", expect to be insulted, calling you a Sony/Xbox Disciple. To be honest, I´m PC Gamer nowadays and don´t even own PS or XBOX Consoles, but grew up in the SNES-Era and played every Nintendo Console and Zelda Games since. Now I tried the Switch-Version of BotW, I´m about 10 hours in. It is NOT A Masterpiece. It´s NOT "the best game ever made" and it´s NOT worth beeing rated 10/10. It´s a solid Open World game and of course it´s fun to play it. It´s a worthy successor to many previous Zelda Titles, such as Twilight Princess and provides a good gameplay experience, ok graphics and the typical Zelda-Feeling you´d expect from the franchise. Well designed, huge world. But on the other hand, it´s far away from beeing perfect and that should be obvious! Weapons break way to frequently, the inventory and menu handling takes too much time, switching weapons or Slate Skills simply takes too long and is not very intuitive. Speaking of the slate, that thing doesn´t offer too many features. Even "A Link to the past" had more specific Items which brought a much wider variation to the game. You find Bows all the time, but getting Arrows is a pain in the ass and extremely expensive. Why even implementing Bows at all if the´re not utilized because of constant lack of arrows? There aren´t too many different enemy types as well, you got severe frame drops every here and then (reminds me of the unbearable slowdown of NES games back in the days...) and in conclusion, I truly can´t understand those Critic review rankings of 98... Zelda: BotW is good, but not THAT great

jungl

Augur
watch nintendo baby corp move in their assasins and drones to silence that guy

Keldryn

Arcane
I'm loving the game so far (got off the Plateau this morning), but there is no way I can give it a score yet. I need to play a significant chunk of the game (if not finish it) and then have some time to reflect on it.

Gaming site/publications don't have that luxury, but all these gamer reviews popping up the day of release or the next day... Only a small proportion will have actually played it enough to give an informed opinion. Most of these 10s and 0s in the user ratings are just emotional reactions and/or blatant attempts to raise or lower the average rating. Undermines the whole process.

As for paid reviews... It's hard to keep that sort of thing a secret. And if you think about it, a $300 console and a $60 game is poor compensation for spending 30-40 hours playing the game (on a deadline, not just when you feel like it) plus a good 4-6 hours writing the review, prepping screenshots, performing necessary edits, etc. For a major release like this one, I would not be at all surprised if many of them spend a couple of work days writing their reviews.

Sure, they get paid by their employers, but their salaries will likely take into account the compensation they get in the form of games and/or hardware. Reviewers for major sites may not even get to keep the game or hardware; those would belong to the company.

Sometimes, a game is just really good. Short term excitement about anticipated titles undoubtedly elevates review scores a bit, but probably not excessively.

Also, it makes zero sense to accuse reviews who gave Zelda a 10/10 as being paid shills when many of those same people gave the console itself much more middling scores (I've seen a lot around 7/10).

sullynathan

Arcane
What the fuck. Half of the things he praises so much were already done in Skyrim, not to mention previous games.
open world games don't do anything new anymore, you only keep your eye open for the ones that do things well. The only open world game that things new in the past few years was shadow of mordor

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
open world games don't do anything new anymore, you only keep your eye open for the ones that do things well.

But saying shit like "omg you can craft food" and "omg the world is huge and many things to explore"... really? This kind of crap can only come from someone who was oblivious to the entire genre.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I hope you assholes love the Farcry 3 towers because they're back.

Unless you want a blank map the whole game.

I really really like how you can climb nearly everything. Gone are the days of Oblivion/Skyim using retarded horse physics to scale mountains. Now I can just climb shit.

Kraszu

Prophet

This game sounds overhyped as fuck.

Skyrim has shitty exploration, following an arrow in level scaled world doesn't count as open world being already done, you have to look at how gameplay elements work together. There is shitton of open world games, but there is few that don't suck.

> You find Bows all the time, but getting Arrows is a pain in the ass and extremely expensive. Why even implementing Bows at all if the´re not utilized because of constant lack of arrows?

Really? That is just a slight step above from complaining about being killed often.

Hmmm, guess that explains it. Zelda fanboy + free console + free game = most positive review ever made for a videogame, ever.

He is able to point out things that he didn't like about the switch, he start apologetic but that doesn't stop him from saying negative things about the switch later so there goes your theory imo.

sullynathan

Arcane
Really? That is just a slight step above from complaining about being killed often.
It seems like a stupid criticism. Almost like the guy wanted to play the entire game as an archer but ran out of arrows from missing a lot and started complaining.

It's at least going to be great for a playthrough. I dunno how it'll hold up on repeated plays, seems like it would be a huge pain to collect everything considering the size of the world and how long it can take to scale some of these mountains.

I decided to fly off the beaten path to the nearest desert that I saw once I got the paraglider. Ran into a herd of horses and tamed a brown one immediately. But it wasn't enough. The biggest horse among them was black with a red mane... a Gerudo horse!

Every time I tried to sneak up on the guy he would run away, so I ate a meal that increases your run speed. I finally caught him, but he bucked me off of him. I tried to tame him 3 more times. Finally, it turned around and trampled me to death. It killed me in one hit, and Link's corpse bugged out and slid across the desert floor. I got 1-shot by a horse.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Skyrim has shitty exploration, following an arrow in level scaled world doesn't count as open world being already done

You can install mods to fix those things, and it is still a fairly boring experience. I don't get how The Legend of Zelda is any different.

People praise a lot of things that seem like the most pointless things, solely because it is a game set in the Zelda universe and not in something more interesting.

He is able to point out things that he didn't like about the switch, he start apologetic but that doesn't stop him from saying negative things about the switch later so there goes your theory imo.

He still got the console for free. At the end of the day, no one buys the console "just for the console", but because of the games. So if you say "10/10 this game can suck your dick" it matters little if the console is "average", as it is the game that sells it (as it has always been).

I'm going to try The Legend of Hype: Overrated of Time" and see how fun the "best game ever" actually is. That will give me a good idea if this new one is indeed hype made matter.

EDIT: Played 10 minutes. Confirmed overrated. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All Nintendo games are overrated, sure their production values and quality are top notch, but in the end they are the same games since 20 past years.

How many times you can play super mario or zelda. A 10/10 game should be something groundbreaking, like doom was in 1993 or wing commander in 1990.

Those rehashed games today should get 6/10 max.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom