Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Cave of Sorrows Dungeons and Dragons Clone

Severian Silk

RPGMaker isn't bad in the right hands. Plus the Red Hand of Doom doesn't seem like a typical RPGMaker game. It can literally pass for a "real" isometric-esque RPG. There are modern RPGs from big studios that don't have the breadth of options in combat and tight character development that that game has.

But why not just use the open-source art assets that are out there? Look, here's a bunch of stuff you can have a field day with. Just read the licenses and act accordingly.

LICENSE INFO, FAQ, ETC. - http://opengameart.org/content/faq#q-proprietary

ICONS FOR RPGS - http://opengameart.org/art-search?keys=icons

If you go about it this way you can make a fine module/game that may even be legal to sell! It doesn't have to look amazing, just have decent gameplay. People who fit the niche and love stuff like this, myself included, will play it. I'd love to play a completed version of The Red Hand of Doom. But when you start taking other people's art and assets from other games and trying to sell it as your own, legally, it's not going to work well for you.
Or they could use LEGO!

http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/
http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/

I could be able to write tutorials/instructions/scripts on how to generate the sprites if someone else builds the models. I have done this before in the past.

16557050614_595dd81209_b.jpg

14875709605_edcf47fa79_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lostpleb

Learned
What Grinding Game Studios is doing is brilliant when you really think about it; bait the Blizztard crowd in with stolen art (China does it all the time) then hire a drawer once the money comes flowing in, and switch out the icons before any legal repercussions come knocking on the door.

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, what a garbage dump of a thread about a garbage "game". Anyone else getting that "repulsed but can't look away" feeling?
Big time.
It makes zero sense to rip the icons off. You can get one hundred of generic spell/feat icons for unity for 15$-50$, and you can easily use the png or whatever for any other engine. Why rip them off an existing game?
If you are looking for logic and sense, you came to the wrong thread.

Deleted Member 16721

It makes zero sense to rip the icons off. You can get one hundred of generic spell/feat icons for unity for 15$-50$, and you can easily use the png or whatever for any other engine. Why rip them off an existing game?
Did they steal the character animations too?

Probably. But to be clear, Cave of Sorrows is a complete re-skin. The original The Red Hand of Doom used a bunch of other games' assets as well. However, it looked like TRHoD was just going to be a little demo/free thing, not trying to be passed off as original work. I could be wrong about that, though.

Again, if the original developer who made this thing wanted to, he could do a legitimate Kickstarter. Spend a few bucks to get generic icons and art and then pitch the game based on what he created so far. But I still don't know how that guy, Kaelan, fits into all of this.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
So... there is a lot going on in this thread.

I had a short emotional roller coaster as the Cave of Sorrows sounded better and better then turned out to be fake.

However, the Red Hand of Doom looks pretty freaking incredible. It's a shame that it only made it to the demo and hasn't been updated since 2014. I don't care that they ripped off NWN2 assets, not because I support stealing them and selling them in a game but because this clearly a fanwork that would be released for free (unless he decided to get original assets and use those). The developer is on youtube and was active 7 months putting up videos of some sort of pokemon fighting game, so at least he's still alive and could presumably return to his work, though that seems fairly unlikely considering the natures of life and the internet.

Deleted Member 16721

Totally agree with everything you said there, aleam. Salute!

I contacted Kaelan, the The Red Hand of Doom dev, via a private message on one of those RPG Maker sites, but haven't heard back. It is a shame because I agree, the game looks fantastic. I believe he could have a successful Kickstarter to pay for his own art assets as well. Or, if he was giving the game away for free as I fully expect he was, the art assets as you said don't really matter much. But shoot, he should do a KS for it. The game, even the crappy Cave of Sorrows re-skin, has much, much promise.

I contacted him on YouTube, so maybe I'll hear back from him. Anyone else interested in the game should post in this thread so he sees that there is some interest here. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom