Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Fantastic Game on shit Hardware as always with ninty (both switch and wii u and i don't just mean the specs), i do love their games i really do but i fucking i hate ninty as a company they have the most shit ass backwards management one could think off.
I've only recently started checking out Nintendo and their games and yeah, they keep making bizzaro decisions. Azns gonna azn I guess.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Bethestard - enough said. Actually no I take that back. Slightly annoying - enough said.

So far I have not made it to the first dungeon yet at around 10 hours or so. Just so much fun exploring and climbing shit. Simple yet satisfying for short bursts.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There's a character you meet in Kakariko village who left his wife for cuckoos. His wife was literally cucked by a cuckoo.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
oetrag.jpg

"we want the high T audience"

Visperas

Augur
So, while I wait for Cemu, which Zelda game would you guys recommend and in what emulator?

Kraszu

Prophet

AHHH, FUCK OFF!!!!

It has allot to do with how it is done, Zelda seems to balance emptiness vs stuff to find/things to do very well. When you can't turn the stone without finding epic loot, it becomes mundane, when map indicators show every content that developers did put into the game, you don't actually look for anything, and when the world is too small you don't need to know where you are going since you can just explore the whole map anyway. On other hand empty spaces that you slowly travel through can get boring when you have nothing to look forward too. There is allot of stuff to find in Zelda, and shrines do show on map but only when you get pretty close to them, there are also multiple ways to make you move through the gameworld faster.

So, while I wait for Cemu, which Zelda game would you guys recommend and in what emulator?

I did like Twilight Princess that is generally disliked, but that is the first that I got into. I didn't get into 2D Zelda, Wind Waker lost my interest for some reason I will go back to that one tho. I did play it in dolphin because it isn't worth messing around with Cemu imo, and the game looks surprisingly good for its age when you run it in HD, and with AA.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
A Link to the Past and Windwaker are two of my favorites. Adventures of Link and the original are pretty close too.

---

Arcane
My favourite ones are Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past.

And Phantom Hourglass.
But probably because it was the first Zelda I tried (generally speaking, people tend to dislike it). I have good memories about it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

The ony ones that matter.

3D Zeldas:

Majora's Mask (Project 64). Twilight Princess (GameCube version - Dolphin). Ocarina of Time Master Quest (Project 64).

2D ones:

A Link to the Past. Oracle of Seasons/Ages. Link's Awekening DX. There is a shitload of SNES / Gameboy Color / Gameboy Advance emulators even for smartphones.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You can tell where most of the development effort on Horizon went. It's rather funny watching the two side by side like that.

I believe I said something before about the attention to details in this game, and the degree to which the game feels polished.

And youtube comments's butthurt and stupidity is as predictable as expected. There are people misleading this video as a graphic comparison, and some of them are saying that Horizon Zero Dawn has better and deeper story because they took the time of listening all the "audiologs" :hahano:. Looks like the only saving grace that sets Zero Dawn apart are the mecha beasts.

RuySan

Augur
For me windwaker sits high and proud at the top. I absolutely adore it, and sailing around and exploring small islets is among the biggest joys I've had with this hobby.

Twilight princess takes a while to get going, and it's way too easy, but still worth it.

Don't like the n64 ones because I absolutely despise n64 graphics. They're so.... Empty. I also don't care much for 2d Zelda's. And the ones for the DS are way too easy and have stupid touch controls.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like the only saving grace that sets Zero Dawn apart are the mecha beasts.
Or the quests which rival The Witcher 3 in terms of uniqueness and diversity. That video only shows that Zelda has nice little touches in graphics and animations, which is a nice thing, but hardly proves that Zero Dawn is worse than Zelda in terms of gameplay. They are both good games.

Keldryn

Arcane
Don't like the n64 ones because I absolutely despise n64 graphics. They're so.... Empty. I also don't care much for 2d Zelda's. And the ones for the DS are way too easy and have stupid touch controls.

The 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask strike a nice balance between staying true to the style of the originals while dramatically improving the look of the game. I believe that their goal was to make them look the way that you remember them looking when you first played them, rather than how they actually look. :)

Machocruz

Arcane
One thing you have to keep in mind is that forums are a fishbowl echo chamber and don't represent any kind of majority, the posters just think they do. So this shit about Adventure of Link or Twilight Princess being hated and Wind Waker and Majora's Mask being loved is not any kind of proven consensus. Revisionism, as I keep saying.

Another thing is: what do you like? Different games in the series offer different things. If you want twitch, arcadey, and somewhat challenging to difficult action, then the first two LoZs are your only choices. If you still want the snappiness of the early games but not as hard as AoL, and more of the adventure aspects of the 3D games (puzzle dungeons -though not as gimmicky as the 3D games, talking to silly NPCs), than A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Seasons are what you want. Majora's Mask is built around usage of masks with different properties and a Groundhog Day type gimmick. You get the point.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Another thing is: what do you like? Different games in the series offer different things.

Another really good point for every retard who thinks that games having the same name/IP and being in the same genre means they are just pointless money-grabbing recycling.

For example: in the last 12 years Sony has released six God of War games (not including the mobile version) and the whole series, despite being released on different hardware, in different eras, and with different stories - look, seem and play much closer to each other than any of 17 Zelda releases in the past 31 years. No, screw that, the latter seem to have much more variety (gameplay mechanics and level design) in a SINGLE TITLE than the former have in their ENTIRE SERIES.

So yeah, fuck "originality" and "maturity", I would rather play 20 more Zelda titles with a Petar Pan-looking kid in cell-shaded cartoony style than 20 new IP's with generic 30-something brown-haired action heroes hiding behind cover and shooting wave after wave of same-y enemies in some derivative setting and realistic graphics that got stuck in an uncanny valley.

Keldryn

Arcane
I could not agree more with CyberWhale. None of those games can hold my attention for longer than half an hour.

So tonight I was exploring an area in the mountains, and I passed by a mountain goat. Suddenly, he turned around and rammed me, sending me tumbling down the mountainside and into a bokoblin camp.

Needless to say, I was not impressed. I shot it in the head with a fire arrow and then ate it right there on the spot (killing an animal with fire cooks the meat).

A short while later, I was checking out some rocks and then the ground started shaking and one of those rock monster minibosses appeared. I ran away, climbing up the cliffside. Yet when I pulled myself up, I found myself face to face with an active guardian. I turned to run (again) but one shotted me before I could get away.

But then later still, I was waiting for the rain to stop so I could continue climbing and I saw a rainbow and everything was good again.:lol:

Machocruz

Arcane
So yeah, fuck "originality" and "maturity", I would rather play 20 more Zelda titles with a Petar Pan-looking kid in cell-shaded cartoony style than 20 new IP's with generic 30-something brown-haired action heroes hiding behind cover and shooting wave after wave of same-y enemies in some derivative setting and realistic graphics that got stuck in an uncanny valley.

I always find the off-hand derision of cartoon-ness in games both amusing and sad. Very narrow way of thinking, and aesthetically unsophisticated as well. Is Asterix bad art? What about Krazy Kat? No one with any insight into technique would claim that Looney Tunes is poor or childish drawing. I have not done any research on the effects of this kind of art on the brain, and I have not read such anywhere else, but I wouldn't be surprised if such cartoon imagery and movement caused dopamine release. There is also the phenomenon which comics expert Scott McLoud calls "imprinting." He theorizes that simplified characters allow the viewer to imprint their own identities onto that of the character, thus feeling like they are the character themselves. Good luck imprinting on realistic Link with stubble, photo textured combat scars, and Moblin shit on his shoes.

Well, we live in a world where people think post-apocalyptic, Mad Max LoZ would be a good idea. Muh change, muh gritty and mature vidyas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom