Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG engine

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, Wikipedia says they both use the Gamebryo engine, although Oblivion uses Havok and Speedtree also, of course.

About the flying thing, in addition to the problem with closed cities I seem to remember something about the game having rather poor LOD therefor graphics would sort of suck while flying; could definitely be a design decision to leave it out.

Anyways, I wasn't happy when I realized the game wouldn't have levitation, the super-jump thing and Mark/Recall, some of the most fun spells in MW.

After digging some more, it seems Morrowind in fact uses the NetImmerse engine, which is somehow related to the Gamebryo engine( previous version perhaps? ).

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Raapys said:
I don't think the physics are so great in that particular game, actually. It's as if the whole world is running in slow-motion; just doesn't feel right. Besides, it, apparantly, requires seperate cells both for cities and all interiors, something that really sucks; constantly going through loading screens can ruin a game. Also, there's something very off-putting about the graphical style of the engine itself. It could simply be the artwork that is poor, but I think it's at least partially because of the engine as well.

Never noticed the running in slow-motion effect to be honest - other than when I was seeing what were the limits of what my PC could do.

The cell problem is one which really limits things (3-d effects especially - eg flying). But loading screens have never ever spoiled a game for me - some of them have considerably enhanced the game experience.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the engine over the artists to be honest. My first thoughts were that the whole game looked very 'unpolished' artistically. Never was a fan of Bethesda's art department though.

DemonKing

Arcane
I think TOEE was a great engine, especially for combat...too bad the game itself was so poorly designed.

I think for longevity and enjoyment I've gotten from titles I'd have to go with either the Infinity Engine or the old Gold Box engine.

DraQ

Arcane
Mefi said:
Never noticed the running in slow-motion effect to be honest
Try killing an NPC with fire or lightning enchanted weapon - it will launch them into the air, then their corpses will float in the air prior to settling down gently and softly. It's as if the world was filled with baloon people and you smacked them around with a rubber sword.
But loading screens have never ever spoiled a game for me - some of them have considerably enhanced the game experience.
Oblivion's loading screens definitely don't belong in this category. Instead, they are filled with inane gameplay hints and horrid lore rape (like "blablabla Martin Septim is direct descendant of Tiber Septim yadayada"). Imagine you're playing PS:T 2 and, instead of being a relief from bloom-stained generic locations, the loading screens inform you that TNO was smooth-skinned elf chick trying to reclaim her immortality. Wouldn't you feel the urge to face-slap the person responsible to death with their own kidneys? I know I would.

NiM82

Prophet
After digging some more, it seems Morrowind in fact uses the NetImmerse engine, which is somehow related to the Gamebryo engine( previous version perhaps? ).

Yeah gamebryo is basically a slightly enhanced version, moar next gen shaders etc. The problem with levitation in OB was really due to lack of ingame fog of war that masked LOD model changes and popups nicely in MW. If you travel too fast in OB the game really looks quite horrible as stuff stutters into view. The walled cities also looked appalling when looked down into from height. So I think it was cut more for aesthetic reasons than anything else, it's certainly not an engine limitation, just poor design/planning.

DraQ

Arcane
NiM82 said:
just poor design/planning.
Which happens to be an adequate description of Oblivion in general. I think that if it wasn't for all the hype and reviewers ejaculating all over themselves the Oblivion would have bombed. That or the majority of human population needs to be butchered mercilessly so that there may be hope for eventual rise of non-retarded civilization.

dunduks

Liturgist
If we don't talk only about old engines, then I think the most suitable would be Source. By now it's very stable and extra scalable (it can run on very wide variety of hardware). It has a lot of bells and whistles in the techology department and has a good scripting support. As side note for gready publishers, it's also multiplatform.
But really, any decent engine can be used to make good a rpg, it just takes a bit of effort.

Raapys

Arcane
Not sure how well the Source engine is suited for outdoor areas though. I never felt those parts were particularly well done in any of the Source games that I recall.

Few years ago the Unreal Engine 3.0 looked awesome, but having played alot of the games using it I can't really say I'm impressed. Could of course just be the developers not taking advantage of it.

Personally I think it'd be interesting to see an RPG using Crysis' engine. Pretty much an awesome engine when it comes to everything except performance.

denizsi

Arcane
Those NWN OC shots reminded me how similar AoD looks in comparison. If only character models didn't look like stocky tabletop figures in AoD.

About the flying thing, in addition to the problem with closed cities I seem to remember something about the game having rather poor LOD therefor graphics would sort of suck while flying; could definitely be a design decision to leave it out.

Might also have something to do with Speedtree, as vegatation looked absolutely shitty from above due to 2d sprites facing only horizontally.

That's it.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
DraQ said:
Try killing an NPC with fire or lightning enchanted weapon - it will launch them into the air, then their corpses will float in the air prior to settling down gently and softly. It's as if the world was filled with baloon people and you smacked them around with a rubber sword.

Oblivion's loading screens definitely don't belong in this category. Instead, they are filled with inane gameplay hints and horrid lore rape (like "blablabla Martin Septim is direct descendant of Tiber Septim yadayada"). Imagine you're playing PS:T 2 and, instead of being a relief from bloom-stained generic locations, the loading screens inform you that TNO was smooth-skinned elf chick trying to reclaim her immortality. Wouldn't you feel the urge to face-slap the person responsible to death with their own kidneys? I know I would.

I agree with you absolutely. It's just that I blame Bethesda (and part of that is because it's a new engine for them and is relatively understandable) and not the engine.

I'm still positive a superb RPG could be made with that engine. I just don't think Bethesda will manage it.

NiM82

Prophet
DemonKing said:
I think TOEE was a great engine, especially for combat...too bad the game itself was so poorly designed.

I've just got around to trying ToEE for the first time and have to agree strongly. I'd go so far as to change my prior nomination (infinity) to ToEE. The combination of 3D paper dolls and lighting with nice 2D backgrounds is pure win as is the combat and interface.

UrielSeptimz

Novice
The best RPG engine is without any doubt the one used in Oblivion. I love bloom. I hurt my eyes today, to see if I still feel. I focus on the sunshine, the only thing that's real.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nah it's SWAT 4. Tasering party members and pepper spraying a suspect who took out 3 of your teammates felt awesome.

DraQ

Arcane
Obvious trolls are obvious

UrielSeptimz said:
The best RPG engine is without any doubt the one used in Oblivion. I love bloom. I hurt my eyes today, to see if I still feel. I focus on the sunshine, the only thing that's real.
Ok, whose alt are you?

You need to work a bit on your trolling - it'd be funnier if it wasn't so obvious.

UrielSeptimz

Novice
Troll ? me and the other millions who bought Oblivion and surf on the bloom trend are saying otherwise. You are not next gen without bloom, that's fact proved by all the recent hits. You are has-been. Didn't you get the memo ?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
UrielSeptimz said:
Troll ? me and the other millions who bought Oblivion and surf on the bloom trend are saying otherwise. You are not next gen without bloom, that's fact proved by all the recent hits. You are has-been. Didn't you get the memo ?
You're not even trying. C'mon, Uriel, you can do better than that, give us some first-grade lulz!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UrielSeptimz said:

You so-called hits are only a temporary fad, and one day the real RPGs will come to the surface again! Mwahahahahaha! :twisted: :codexdevil:

fastpunk

Arbiter
UrielSeptimz said:

You next-gen kids, can't even troll right...

SkeleTony

Augur
skyway said:
none.
every rpg engine is flawed to death

WORD!

I like elements from a bunch of different engines and hate elements from a bunch. Fallout suffered from the worst inventory system ever and a few quirky things in combat(and party management sucked hard).

IE suffers from being AD&D based and that fucked up to all Hell Vancian magic system and unnecessarily complicated rules/mechanics.

JA2, while it is fantastic and is still being improved upon today by the community, lacks in the skill system department.

Freedom Force is close to perfect for the superhero genre but I would rather it were straight TB rather than RTwP(minor quibble I suppose).

Might and Magic 6/7/8(especially 7) was pretty good but some things just did not work great. Having the skill levels(re: "Expert", "master" etc.) be available based upon how high the score in the skill is was wonky. Creates unsteady break-points where having a swords skill of 7 is like twice as good as having a skill of '6' but having a skill of '8' is only marginally better than having a skill of '7'.

Wizardry 8 is about as good as party-based first person RPGs get(until someone does away with the "blob" aspect of such games) but there was some imbalance in the magic system where direct damage/fireballs and such were relatively worthless compared to debuffs/status effects.

Helherron, if it were bug free and had some of the balance and other design issues worked out would be truly great IMO. Natuk/POWS also if not for the horrendous balance issues that lead to cookie cutter character development.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Whatever powered Silent Storm could be good too.

EDIT: just checked on Wiki that it was rather practically called 'Silent Storm Engine'.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Raapys said:
Not sure how well the Source engine is suited for outdoor areas though. I never felt those parts were particularly well done in any of the Source games that I recall.

I can name one: Half Life 2: Episode Two. But besides that, you are absolutely right.

felicity

Scholar
NWN1 (Aurora?) is the best! Slick, reliable and modablity! even good multiplayer support if you want some classic roleplay fix! Oh I so miss the interface, king in functionality (a bit bland tho), wish more companies will learn from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom