Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Vanilla WoW emulation

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
By the time I level to 9, this server will be gone too, won't it

A shame private servers aren't just all ran by groups of friends who host and maintain them for the reason of restoring good memories and having an actual love for their attempt to re-create it all.

I took an interest into what was happening and found that the drama was developing primarily in some reddit communities. This is the perfect example of a storm in a teapot to me. I've been leveling a druid today and the number of players does not seem to have bulged one bit, the vast majority really don't seem to care about the tragedies that are happening internally, what matters is that the server is still running and most players still speak English.

I read and listened to the leaks as they were posted and here's what I believe actually happened.

1. Shenna, the lead on the server is either the same person or an employee of the owner of the server, who for those who followed apparently never showed up and doesn't speak a word of English (only Chinese and Russian lol).
2. As the server was quite clearly intended to make money on the long run, the owner of the server was caught in a Chinese chatroom trying to sell unbans.
3. Crestfall was only intended on stealing some of the Nostalrius code from the start, on the other end Shenna wanted to force everyone in the league to allow Chinese IPs. Crestfall left as soon as this excuse gave them the
opportunity to do so.
4. The streamer who exposed everything got threatened by a mix of east European would be mobsters and called for a mass doxx of the team in retaliation. Both sides end up digging so much dirt on each other, as they're all crooks and scammers, that they
unilaterally disengage.
5. Crestfall gets caught in the crossfire and starts being exposed as a sham, the admin quits.

The number of staff members quitting is grossly exaggerated, judging by the soundcloud I listened to for an hour while playing we are talking about a functional team with a crooked lead. I've said it before, I have no doubt servers of this scale have an agenda at hand. Nostalrius were trying to build themselves a resume to get inside Blizzard, the Russians are trying to make money off it. As long as they stay a subtle gold farmer scheme I have no problem with whatever corruption surfaces and so does the majority of the playerbase.

My only worry is that the server head sounds slightly unstable and prone to rash actions. But then she is Russian and 'you want transparency, here's a fuck you' thread she released is a cultural signature.

Look for Thanevanis on Elysium, and Gudush on Zeth.

I found a Thanevanis on Elysium, no Gudush on Zeth. Are you still playing.

If anyone is still playing after all that give me your names and let's add each other. Maybe we could start a guild. I don't think the server is going anywhere at worst it will stagnate.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
A shame private servers aren't just all ran by groups of friends who host and maintain them for the reason of restoring good memories and having an actual love for their attempt to re-create it all.

Yeah right.

->Be 21+ years old
->Dump 10,000 hours into re-coding a shitty children's game for dumb nerds
->Don't expect compensation

latest

The number of staff members quitting is grossly exaggerated
The issue here is not the amount of staff that left, but rather WHO and in what position left. In this case that would be most of the actually competent developers, and with AQ just being around the corner, this might prove into being a huge issue.

EDIT: Although Rebirth is releasing it's source code near march so they might use that.

->Be 21+ years old
->Dump 10,000 hours into re-coding a shitty children's game for dumb nerds
->Don't expect compensation
I'll take "Gummy" for 500, Dawkins

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The number of staff members quitting is grossly exaggerated
I'll take "Gummy" for 500, Dawkins

Are we talking about Gummy of Scripcraft fame, whom released server, devved for half a year, made donation run and after getting enough money, shut down and then restarted server few months later, made another donation run and got more money before shutting down again?

Are we talking about Gummy of Scripcraft fame, whom released server, devved for half a year, made donation run and after getting enough money, shut down and then restarted server few months later, made another donation run and got more money before shutting down again?
Expecting compensation and taking donations to run away with are very different things :lol:

Lyric Suite , or Thanevanis, I was the one who kept sending you party invites today. Sorry about that but I can't whisper yet so I was hoping to use party chat. It seems you didn't stay too long online tho.

If there's anyone else willing to group up as Alliance on elys at a low levels make yourself known.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I thought it was some Chinese faggot.

Not really investing into this too much at the moment, just sperging around for now.

MapMan

Arcane
Okay, maybe I'm retarded or something but maybe one of you knows the answer: Why isn't this 'effort' open source? I bet there would be hundreds of nerds that would contribute. Really, this seems like such a no brainer to me, there is so many obvious benefits: no drama, better progress, multiple aspects developed independently, anyone is able to host his own server for a bunch of friends, nothing would be lost when a servier dies (except a DB) and so on, and so on. Please tell me it's not just because people want to make money off of this?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Okay, maybe I'm retarded or something but maybe one of you knows the answer: Why isn't this 'effort' open source? I bet there would be hundreds of nerds that would contribute. Really, this seems like such a no brainer to me, there is so many obvious benefits: no drama, better progress, multiple aspects developed independently, anyone is able to host his own server for a bunch of friends, nothing would be lost when a servier dies (except a DB) and so on, and so on. Please tell me it's not just because people want to make money off of this?

It is open source in a way and hundreds of nerds are contributing. All of the servers are based off of open source efforts, cores such as Trinity, ManGOS etc. There's quite a few reasons why those don't get as much individiual input. Big bit is that since there are tens to hundreds of communities diverting from the main source, it's not a simple 'inject' your own stuff in matter at this point. Say someone took a ManGOS core 6 years ago and started fixing it (Like in case of Rebirth) at their own pace over the entire time, then someone else did the same. You just can't get the two function together all too well considering how vastly different the execution itself may be. Or combine them with the main source for that matter. Even sniping stuff from later editions of ManGOS and implementing them can be a hurdle since it can cause a ton of conflicts depending on what all things it touches or doesn't.

It's one of the reasons why Rebirth will be releasing the core as is, rather than sending data to main ManGOS project, it's in itself a massive departure.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom