Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lineage 2 Impressions

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I have an account ordered, Whippo!

in any case, it isn't as if I'm losing out on my social life. heck, I go out every week with friends - even when I'm active in Lineage 2.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I usually get bored within a month, so I usually just pay the retail price and never subscribe. Still waiting for the game that can hook me, and I shouldn't be impossible.

Have fun Rex, guess this means we won't be seeing you much within the next few years... har har.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yes, phat lewt is one of the nice things about the game. It's so freaking rare that when you actually get a rare drop, it's like Christmas. 4/5ths of items in the game can't be bought in stores. They have to be found in rare drops, or found in pieces and ingredients to be crafted. It's really cool running around with an item that nobody else has gotten yet (but can get, because this isn't shitty EQ where people just chest camp).

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Yes, phat lewt is one of the nice things about the game. It's so freaking rare that when you actually get a rare drop, it's like Christmas. 4/5ths of items in the game can't be bought in stores. They have to be found in rare drops, or found in pieces and ingredients to be crafted.

Actually I would say 3/5 of the equipment CAN be bought. You can get a lot of C grade weapons in Giran at the luxury shop.

However, I agree that the phat lewt is more gratifying. Besides just *looking* cool, having the best equipment for your level makes things so much smoother.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Saying Malaysia is part of the Asian market is like saying Guatemala is a part of the North American. It cold be considerd part of the continent, but it's odd, and it's pretty silly to think that a game meant for Koreans is going to have the exact same effect on Malaysians.

I'm actually pretty intersted in it, but I don't like the visual style, and no one I know is on it. I'm thinking of City of Heros, to be honest.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
None of them speak English, for starters. They're all Indians. They don't know how to help the players and the botters (people who play using macros so they dont have to sit at the computer) and the Chinese money farmers (who sell on ebay) are driving everybody out.

I think that some of the GMs are on the take, thats why they wont ban them.

Exitium said:
None of them speak English, for starters. They're all Indians. They don't know how to help the players and the botters (people who play using macros so they dont have to sit at the computer) and the Chinese money farmers (who sell on ebay) are driving everybody out.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Anyone else remember what happened over at In Por Ylem (the "unofficial" Ultima Online player-run shard)?

Rosh

Erudite
Exitium said:

Exactly. I'm glad my copy was free.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tell Richard Garriot to hire some real tech staff if he ever hopes to retain his customers with Tabula Rasa. Having a bunch of Indians who can't speak proper English is just asking for trouble.

roflrofl.jpg

That's their response to every single complaint. GMSamson (I can bet that it isn't his real name, looking at the English) has absolutely no grasp of sarcasm, given the fact that all the Chinese botters and adena (money) farmers are still in the game, and have been there since Day 1 of the Open Beta even though what they're doing is completely against guidelines. The Head GM (GMSpam) insists that the GMs delete hundreds of these guys on a daily basis - so how come they're always there? There can't be millions of them, given the small player base.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:
I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Anyone else remember what happened over at In Por Ylem (the "unofficial" Ultima Online player-run shard)?[/quote]

Don't forget the Yantis Enterprises (a Chinese company that sells items, characters and money on EBAY) debacle with some of Everquest's GMs. It was discovered that Yantis was bribing quite a number of Everquest GMs to avoid being banned for their botting practices and GMs were giving them free reign over some of the areas as well.

More to the subject of Yantis: The Warcry News Network (www.warcry.com) is sponsored by Yantis Enterprises. The Warcry News Network features some of the most popular (though not the most popular) fansites and datasites for MMORPGs like Lineage 2, Shadowbane and others. Personally, I find them to be a bunch of assholes for exploiting games like these and ruining the experience for everybody. It's people like these who are the reasons why MMORPGs are as bad as they are, and it isn't because the games themselves are hackeneyed levelling treadmills. These assholes are the reason griefers and people who buy their shit off of ebay are so abundant in number.

The reason I'm highlighting this is because WarCry's staff has the audacity to denigrate a lot of other genuine fansites, especially in the case of L2Orphus.com being singled out by the Lineage 2 staff for hosting certain 'illegal' modifications, which were against the rules of conduct. Apparently, all modifications to Lineage 2 are against the rules of conduct, so even a simple modification like the 'camera zoom' and 'monsters with level numbers in description' are considered a bannable offenses, and several people have been banned for it.

It's funny how they ban people who would take these relatively innocuous screenshots, people not knowing of the illegal nature of these mods, without ever giving them a chance, while allowing others to cheat, dupe and sell their stuff on ebay all the while harrassing newbie players who attempt to hunt in their areas.

Fuck em.

Rosh

Erudite
Exitium said:
Tell Richard Garriot to hire some real tech staff if he ever hopes to retain his customers with Tabula Rasa. Having a bunch of Indians who can't speak proper English is just asking for trouble.

I doubt he has much choice in the matter. Instead of removing themselves from the vacant shell Origin has become, it seems that Destination Games just changed who they were going to lie down and play "bitch" for, IF they have no control over the support aspects of the game. Seeing as they are a developer and NCSoft is the publisher, it doesn't take much to see how the relationship will likely work. One thing I'm going to look into, especially in the design suggestion forums of the fan sites, is to recommend that they use a real support staff instead of the corrupt and ineffective GM staff of Lineage II, which is the reason the game went downhill fast because they don't do anything about their exploiters.

This is the same shit that went on with UO as well and caused all sorts of problems. Find a copy of Fluffy the PK Chicken (not sure if it was I, II, or III) and when you get to GM Chase, kill him. The money bags and deeds fly out for a reason. He was one of the major corrupt GMs that worked there when Lord Dick was in office, so to speak. LD was still EA's bitch. This kind of thing exists quite frequently with GMs, which makes me cringe because none of the developers have an admin logging tool, or choose not to use it. It is an essential piece of control by any MUD developer. Put in conditions to show unnatural use of Imm abilities and how they were used. It can be done within a little time with MUDs, what's wrong with putting that into the back-end of a MMORPG? A day's worth of Imm activities shouldn't be that much, and could be easily grepped for certain uses of powers. A keyword flagging system wouldn't be too much to ask for. Sadly, it seems like a lot of MMORPG devs go for shiny and neglect the back-end.

Thankfully, LD does (or did) know one major thing over the idiots at NCSoft Korea - separate your different player markets. I don't know if they are going to have the servers wide open like those for Lineage II.

Just like how Bnet had servers for different regions, as did AC, DAoC, as did UO, Tabula Rasa might have the same. If not, then I think Richard caught the stupidity disease from Spector.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Thats pretty funny, I always like it when the fans fuck with the developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom