Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Steam Controller profile is up

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I suggest we make a fundraising or just have someone buys the steam controller, then we send it to Darth Roxor or whoever and they will have to review it by using the controller to play RTWP RPGs like PST: EE.

After they done they can decide to keep it or re-sell if they don't like it but the money has to go to the charity (With documentations that proves they gave the money to charity)

Deleted Member 16721

Isn't that exactly what I'm doing? :) I've played 50+ hours of CRPGs with it. What sort of review do you need for it? If you have questions I can answer them.

I did write a mini-review on Steam. You can find it on my Steam account.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Isn't that exactly what I'm doing? :) I've played 50+ hours of CRPGs with it. What sort of review do you need for it? If you have questions I can answer them.

I did write a mini-review on Steam. You can find it on my Steam account.
Do... you seriously think it's better than keyboard and mouse or are you just trying to justify your expensive purchase?

Because your review sounds more like the latter.

Deleted Member 16721

I've played about 4 hours of PS:T:EE already now, exclusively with the controller. Here are some quick musings and thoughts.

It works well. :) It feels "right". Part of that, I'm sure, is because I'm used to the controller now. I use it as a desktop mouse as well now, so I've gotten to really love the right trackpad "trackball" mouse. I just mapped four of the Function keys to the face buttons. I have to add the 5th before I forget.

It just seems to work fine. The keyboard is still a little wonky, but that's user error. I haven't taken the time yet to get good with the Steam in-game keyboard thing. You can use the 2 trackpads + right trigger to type, but I end up just using the analog stick to select each letter and then confirm them with the A button. It works for saving the game and also searching the journal, and is not too tedious or anything. If you get good with the Steam keyboard it is likely even faster.

Everything else I just control with the mouse. The goal of this control scheme was just to keep it simple. I usually just use the mouse to click icons in a game like this, even when I'm on PC. So I apply that same style to the controller. I'll list the controls to see if anyone has ideas for what else could be mapped.

So far, these are the keys I've mapped to the controller:

F1, F2, F3, F4 (will add F5 after posting this)
Priest Spells (P), Mage Spells (W)
Camera movement with the analog stick
Quickloot
Toggle Combat Log on/off
TAB Highlight (hold to highlight)
Toggle Walk/Run (click analog stick)
Zoom In/Out (mouse wheel scroll up/down)
Journal
Inventory
Character Sheet
Map
Attack Toggle (Attack Mode, "Normal" mode)
Right click, left click (mouse function)
Select All Characters
Quick Save
Pause (Spacebar)
Bring up the Steam keyboard (for typing, save files, searching the journal, etc.)

And I think that's it. I want to keep it simple so you can play the game without having to re-map any of the controls in the game itself. Since the game offers advanced functions, like button presses to Cast Spell, or Toggle AI, etc., the user can decide if they want or need that on the controller. This is just the basic "You can play the game 100% fine" control scheme.

Do... you seriously think it's better than keyboard and mouse or are you just trying to justify your expensive purchase?

Because your review sounds more like the latter.

Hardly trying to justify my purchase. I love the controller as I've said already. :) I would not say it's "better" than anything. I'd say that it makes games that normally would require keyboard and mouse to play, fully functional with a controller. They are enjoyable to play with a controller, and the versatility and functionality of it make it useful outside of gaming, too (been using it as my primary input mouse device the past few days.)

I think the controller feels phenomenal. There is something about having a trackball mouse function controlled by your thumb that is just satisfying as hell to use. And the mouse clicks with the trigger are lovely as well. Besides that, I like making control schemes with the controller. I think it's much easier to use than a keyboard and mouse for some games. Keyboards can be hard to see in the dark, if you're playing a game that has a bevy of hotkeys and keyboard commands, it can be rough. I have a decent backlit keyboard, but while using the controller I never once have to glance down to see what key I'm pressing, or hunt for a key in any way. So in that regard I would say that it's superior to a keyboard.

It's really however you want to play and what you want to use. But I can honestly say that all my gaming going forward will be done with the Steam Controller. I am going to be retiring the mouse and keyboard. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

gromit

Arcane
(list of hotkeys)
Yes, we are aware of the hotkeys. Why don't you post a screenshot of your config, so I can decide if you're a raving madman, or simply deluded? The controller is capable of many great things, and you can be very comprehensive... but that is not necessarily the nature of a good control scheme. 3/4 of the people who submit, probably can't remember their shitty shifting horseshite a week after playing the game. I say this as a massive fan of the thing (but also not sure why PST is a game you'd want to play in that format at all)

Deleted Member 16721

Yes, we are aware of the hotkeys. Why don't you post a screenshot of your config, so I can decide if you're a raving madman, or simply deluded? The controller is capable of many great things, and you can be very comprehensive... but that is not necessarily the nature of a good control scheme. 3/4 of the people who submit, probably can't remember their shitty shifting horseshite a week after playing the game. I say this as a massive fan of the thing (but also not sure why PST is a game you'd want to play in that format at all)

This is my 3rd control scheme. I made all 3 consistent with each other, i.e. the buttons and functions are similar or downright the same in each game. I remember everything I've done with them and have used them extensively. They may not be perfect but I like them.

If you'd like to see my work with them then search Fluent Controls and try them on Steam. I made a (shitty) video showing a very early version of the Neverwinter Nights configuration. I have tweaked things like haptic feedback, mouse friction, mouse sensitivity and so on.

And you are not aware of the list of hotkeys I specifically added to the profile. That's why I posted them, to show the functions I currently have mapped.

Showing the configuration does not prove I am not a raving madman, by the way. That is quite possible, all things considered. :)

Deleted Member 16721

As for playing it in this format, I ask why not? Valve is innovating in a huge way with the SC. I'm into it, bought it on a whim to see if it really could play old-school CRPGs and was greatly surprised. I didn't think I'd love it or replace my keyboard and mouse for gaming, but there you go. I guess that can happen when you try new things. :)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Granted I have never used a Steam Controller yet, and I'm not certain that if it would be as intuitive as a mouse+kb for me, but I have watched fluent's Neverwinter Nights video and it really seems like he is controlling the game quite easily.

Delbaeth

Learned
can't wait to play PS:T EE on this slut

pro_flight_big.jpg

What can change...

>>

Sigil, we have a problem.
Or
Sigil, we've had a problem here.

Deleted Member 16721

Granted I have never used a Steam Controller yet, and I'm not certain that if it would be as intuitive as a mouse+kb for me, but I have watched fluent's Neverwinter Nights video and it really seems like he is controlling the game quite easily.

Yep. :)

And again, that is an old version of the controls. After playing quite a few hours of the game I decided to just make the 2nd Action Set entirely optional and not add a switch on the controller. I also started using the Trackball mouse mode, which is not shown in the video, and the mouse is even better to control now.

Achilles

Arcane
The Steam Controller is indeed a good piece of kit. It takes time to adjust to it and it will never be quite as precise as a mouse but if you are looking for a jack of all trades it's actually great. At the very least it's much better than a traditional controller in pretty much everything.

Deleted Member 16721

It's precise enough for me. I guess if you're a high level FPS player who is used to other control inputs it could be less precise. But I also believe that if you take the time to get used to it it likely could be just as precise as a mouse, if not more so. I have read about people using the controller professionally, and a lot of that is comfort level, muscle memory and the like.

But for playing CRPGs, strategy games and everything else, it's perfect, IMO.

Deleted Member 16721

Silly me. I shouldn't have mapped the Function keys to the buttons, it was pointless. So I adjusted the face buttons to be the same as my NWN configuration. That is, the 4 face buttons not only bring up Journal (A), Toggle Attack (X), Character Sheet (Y), and Inventory (B), they also correspond to numbers - 1,2,3,4 - respectively. So, this makes dialogue easier to engage in without needing to click a dialogue answer with the mouse. I made the Left Grip the modifier to turn the face buttons from 1,2,3,4, to 5,6,7,8 when you press and hold the Left Grip. You get a little rumble effect (haptic feedback) to let you know it worked. In order to do that, I had to turn the Tab Highlighting to a toggle rather than "highlight as you hold the button". It works much better this way, anyway. As I said, I did the same thing in my NWN configuration and it worked very well for selecting dialogue options so it should work well here, too.

Note - As of this post, the configuration is not updated yet. Unfortunately, Steam makes you play "15 minutes" with the new profile whenever you make a change. This usually equals more like "an hour or so" for me, for some reason. But I'll naturally be playing more tonight and going forward so I should be able to add the updated configuration to the community list soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom