Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Tytus

Arcane
nfurmnN.png

Andromeda fell to 71 on Metracritic. And considering that big publishers like Bethesda for some reason care about the metacritic score, I hope someone at Bioware is at least losing their bonus :P

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
For pc it's 74, xbox one 77.
Kind of nice to see... But really weird considering the gaming press' history and the title being fairly pro-sjw. Maybe it's because the franchise is one the sjw reviewer types and romancefags love, and with the technical issues, animation issues and shit writing (I'm guessing a lot of them also have big performance issues even if they don't mention them), the game just is too much of a step down relative to the older ones in areas that really bother them?

Or is there something else going on? Worse AAA disasters have gotten better scores in the past, but those often did not have much SJW content to balance out their issues in the eyes of the reviewers.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Come to think of it, how has the sjw-side reacted to manveer heirs'... leaving of bioware? I'm curious if certain chatlogs would reveal something along the lines of "They kicked out the great manveer heir, let's fuck them up. This is so important!"

Hellion

Arcane
It's all because of Meme Magic. The entire internet community was predisposed against Andromeda even before its release purely because of the horrific animation memes, so the press felt obliged to jump on that wagon for fear of being ridiculed.

And we're still essentially in our infant Memeing stage. Think of what we could accomplish if we fully mastered the power of Memes.

Kind of nice to see... But really weird considering the gaming press' history and the title being fairly pro-sjw. Maybe it's because the franchise is one the sjw reviewer types and romancefags love, and with the technical issues, animation issues and shit writing (I'm guessing a lot of them also have big performance issues even if they don't mention them), the game just is too much of a step down relative to the older ones in areas that really bother them?

Or is there something else going on? Worse AAA disasters have gotten better scores in the past, but those often did not have much SJW content to balance out their issues in the eyes of the reviewers.

There has to be some number of reviewers who secretly hate SJW crap, keep their mouth shut to keep their job, and are ecstatic about the opportunity to take down Bioware a peg when they can while still not pissing off the SJW clique.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

There has to be some number of reviewers who secretly hate SJW crap, keep their mouth shut to keep their job, and are ecstatic about the opportunity to take down Bioware a peg when they can while still not pissing off the SJW clique.
Oh I'm sure there are.
It's just that we are seeing sort of negative (by their standards) previews/reviews from, say, the RPS dude. That's pretty weird, right?

Maybe they've decided to rate on a 5-10 scale instead of a 8-10 scale from now on? :)

pippin

Fallout 4 made it cool to hate AAA games. Ubisoft could still save itself by releasing some artsy stuff here and there, and because the fact that people actually like Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs, despite their fame. FO4 and MEA probably damaged Bethesda and Bioware more than a buggy release of AC and a lackluster WD did to Ubi. At least imo.

Come to think of it, how has the sjw-side reacted to manveer heirs'... leaving of bioware? I'm curious if certain chatlogs would reveal something along the lines of "They kicked out the great manveer heir, let's fuck them up. This is so important!"

I've heard he was not a Bioware employee, just a guy they hired for the lenght of the Andromeda project. Still, if he really was a Bioware employee, I think they fired him because of his twitter. It was really too much bad press for EA.

this is something i don't understand. i sometimes posted silly, very stupid stuff on facebook because, after all, what's it for if not idiot stuff? whenever i get a job, for as useless and obscure as it can be (computer fixer, cinema and tv extra, desperate's stuff like this), i toned down or outright avoided them, after all i wasn't on my own anymore but i was part of something else. "something else" being a fucking shitty local shop.
and then people... well, beings like that, which clearly represent a worldwide known brand, feel free to utter the most retarded shit without any shame.
is there something wrong in me or really these people deserve to die in the most brutal and painful manner?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
this is something i don't understand. i sometimes posted silly, very stupid stuff on facebook because, after all, what's it for if not idiot stuff? whenever i get a job, for as useless and obscure as it can be (computer fixer, cinema and tv extra, desperate's stuff like this), i toned down or outright avoided them, after all i wasn't on my own anymore but i was part of something else. "something else" being a fucking shitty local shop.
and then people... well, beings like that, which clearly represent a worldwide known brand, feel free to utter the most retarded shit without any shame.
is there something wrong in me or really these people deserve to die in the most brutal and painful manner?

I think it's a combination of millennials growing up sharing every little piece of their lives on social networks and established businesses being slow to treat said social networks and employee actions on them as potentially reflecting on the company as a whole.

Given how many times in recent years I've heard of employers requesting access to the applicant's facebook and/or twitter feed, I would say the latter attitude is definitely changing.

donkeymong

Scholar
Fallout 4 made it cool to hate AAA games. Ubisoft could still save itself by releasing some artsy stuff here and there, and because the fact that people actually like Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs, despite their fame. FO4 and MEA probably damaged Bethesda and Bioware more than a buggy release of AC and a lackluster WD did to Ubi.

Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies on day one, something Bioware can only dream of. And still has an active mod community, with some of
the mods even released on game consoles. And the majority of gamers dont expect good storytelling, characters or even graphics from
this game series.

pippin

The key word in FO4's case, iirc, was "shipped", not "sold". They sent 12 million copies to stores, but we don't know if those were actually sold.
The confusion happens because selling numbers are estimates, and I don't really know if the videogame industry counts sold units or distribution. For example, in the music industry, they only started to count sold units fairly recently (early 90s). When that happened, they realized many "niche" acts actually outsold No. 1 artists with ease.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

He's a douchebag

:dance:

I think it's a combination of millennials growing up sharing every little piece of their lives on social networks and established businesses being slow to treat said social networks and employee actions on them as potentially reflecting on the company as a whole.

Given how many times in recent years I've heard of employers requesting access to the applicant's facebook and/or twitter feed, I would say the latter attitude is definitely changing.

it can't be.
it's common sense. common fucking sense. "you represent something else you dipshit, and all you say bear consequences you dipshit". common. sense. something i understood well even when i was a kid, and those bullies and wannabes around me knew well because the consequences of misbehaving with me were punches to the face.
probably, even more than common sense, this world needs more punches to the face.

pippin

Yeah, but when you were a kid, you got beaten, and you didn't get to post on facebook or twitter about it, and you couldn't get to start a political movement out of your own butthurt.
Kids these days do. But I wouldn't say it's their fault, since it's something that's given to them, instead of something they make on their own. Kids have phones and social media because their parent's generation (you, we? our generation?) invented those and felt it was necessary to develop such environment.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If any of you people thought this couldn't get any worse then well...

One of the youtube comment for the video sums the issue up nicely:

Actually, these guys didn't make KOTOR or Baldur's Gate. This was made by Bioware Montreal, a team composed of a bunch of amateurs where Andromeda was there first real Triple A game. The good boys and girls who made the great Bioware games are practically all gone. EA basically shoved the legacy of Mass Effect onto a bunch of 20-somethings with no idea what they were really doing, and promoted the game out the ass and banking on fans and the original trilogy's praise to sell the game, regardless of Andromeda's quality. Sadly, it worked.

Last edited:

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
You know, I did quite a bit of soul searching in regards to who I feel is worse, Bethesda or BioWare? I can understand why some would choose Bethesda. They did after all ruin a amazing franchise that wasn't theirs to begin with and turned it into a Frankenstein monster in order to pander and appeal to as many demographics as they can in order to make the biggest profit that they can but I would still say that Bioware is worse. Bethesda at lest, with much reluctance, admit that they fucked up royally. Bioware on the other hand has never admitted that they fucked up with Mass Effect 3. "Gamers are just entitled", "Changing the ending would compromise our artistic integrity", "Just take a look at the critic scores and you will see that those mad are just a minority" was the excuses they gave. It didn't help the critics constantly coddled BioWare, with the belief that BioWare can do no wrong in their eyes. Even now with the negative and mediocre scores do you see critics still sticking up and making excuses for BioWare. Corporate whores and arrogant pricks like Angry Joe and TotalBiscuit refuse to call the game terrible and say that its not terrible only disappointing. I'm sorry but what is the difference between terrible and disappointing? Again, more excuses. If karma truly exists then this is good evidence of it.
:martini:

RPGMasterLvl2

Novice
You know, I did quite a bit of soul searching in regards to who I feel is worse, Bethesda or BioWare? I can understand why some would choose Bethesda. They did after all ruin a amazing franchise that wasn't theirs to begin with and turned it into a Frankenstein monster in order to pander and appeal to as many demographics as they can in order to make the biggest profit that they can but I would still say that Bioware is worse. Bethesda at lest, with much reluctance, admit that they fucked up royally. Bioware on the other hand has never admitted that they fucked up with Mass Effect 3. "Gamers are just entitled", "Changing the ending would compromise our artistic integrity", "Just take a look at the critic scores and you will see that those mad are just a minority" was the excuses they gave. It didn't help the critics constantly coddled BioWare, with the belief that BioWare can do no wrong in their eyes. Even now with the negative and mediocre scores do you see critics still sticking up and making excuses for BioWare. Corporate whores and arrogant pricks like Angry Joe and TotalBiscuit refuse to call the game terrible and say that its not terrible only disappointing. I'm sorry but what is the difference between terrible and disappointing? Again, more excuses. If karma truly exists then this is good evidence of it.
:martini:

Nothing BioWare can ever do can compare with what Bethesturd did to Fallout. Nothing.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
So it seems that Mass Effect: Andromeda is a 71 on Metacritic right now. Wonder if BioWare is going to use the artistic integrity excuses again for this shit show?
"The character models aren't ugly and the dialogue isn't the worse dialogue ever, its designed to be that way. This was our artistic vision from the start you basement dwelling haters!"
:shitandpiss:

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
You will have the chance to be disappointed by their press release in a few hours.

amurath

Educated
If any of you want to experience this trainwreck of a game for yourself, it's now available through the usual channels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom