Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Hobo Elf

Arcane
No it wont. FES fixed the AI. Never felt like the AI was doing something I wouldn't do. The AI is infamously retarded in the very first version of P3, but why would you play that version?

drae

Augur
Attempted to fix the AI yet screw ups still happened.

They completely fixed the AI in the PSP version by eradicating it and giving you direct control.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
With all the Persona 5 hype i decided i wanted to take a quick peak into the series to see what all the fuzz is about. Should i start with Persona 3 or Persona 3 PSP? As i have found out until now it seems that Persona 3 PSP has better combat (because you can control your party members)
That's called worse combat.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
For anyone who hasn't checked, there's some free DLC for this including Japanese audio, extra difficulty mode and some item packs.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

They completely fixed the AI in the PSP version by eradicating it and giving you direct control.

Like I said, what screw ups? The AI is pretty good and does exactly what it should do. Sometimes it even snipes weaknesses of enemies who I haven't encountered yet before. That's a far cry from the awful MARIN KARIN spam.

SumDrunkGuy

How's the romance stuff? Is there actual fucking this time around? Do I get to see titties?

*edit*

Shit, forgot these games are about high schoolers. Honest mistake folks. Matter of fact, I mistook this for the Mass Effect thread. Move 'long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cromwell

Arcane
That's a far cry from the awful MARIN KARIN spam.
I played only P3 FES, and never seen it being spammed.

Marin Karin was an essential part of the gameplay experience, I imagine that not dying a few times because of it warranted a money back from the publisher. There was no good reason for them to not enable you to control the whole party. One of the big reasons I always wondered why everybody loved it so much apart from the fact that the story was shit, assuming you where willing to grind the same looking dungeons long enough to actually see what the story was about.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Go with Persona 3 PSP and watch the cutscenes on youtube or something. While the cutscenes are much more enjoyable, the retarded AI that controls your teammates in the normal version of the game will drive you bat-shit crazy.

No it wont. FES fixed the AI. Never felt like the AI was doing something I wouldn't do. The AI is infamously retarded in the very first version of P3, but why would you play that version?

That's called worse combat.

Like I said, what screw ups? The AI is pretty good and does exactly what it should do. Sometimes it even snipes weaknesses of enemies who I haven't encountered yet before. That's a far cry from the awful MARIN KARIN spam.

Thanks for the input. I watched some cutscenes on youtube and decided to give FES a shot. I have a feeling theyre too well done to pass up. Any recommendations for difficulty? I like challenge, but im not too keen into grinding endlessly.

drae

Augur

Half the time the AI neglects to remove certain status effects, for example Yukari's occassional use of Charmdi. It produces hilarious side effects like watching your whole team get rekt. If you play on hard, even the much improved AI on FES will cause you a lot of frustration.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You guys play or planning to play with Japanese or English voice overs?

Also for those playing in English, how is the quality of the VO?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Half the time the AI neglects to remove certain status effects, for example Yukari's occassional use of Charmdi. It produces hilarious side effects like watching your whole team get rekt. If you play on hard, even the much improved AI on FES will cause you a lot of frustration.
They are your teammates who are occasionally doing errors. If you want them to do specific task like concentrate on healing, you can tell them.

Basically are you saying you are not able to survive their actions even when they do error for three consecutive turns? Really? Git gut.

drae

Augur
They are your teammates who are occasionally doing errors. If you want them to do specific task like concentrate on healing, you can tell them.

Basically are you saying you are not able to survive their actions even when they do error for three consecutive turns? Really? Git gut.

Apparently (I haven't confirmed it) on FES Yukari's healing priority is still set higher than her use of Charmdi. So she'll prioritise healing your party over removing status effects. That's not something I'd ever encourage, but I haven't confirmed it I've just noticed she doesn't often use it.

Basically if you want your party to act like normal thinking people, the AI on FES won't ever cut the mustard, so to speak.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Talking about Hard, regardless of crap AI or not, the other party members will start to seriously lag behind the curve, and so it should be up to the player to handle almost all the actual work.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Basically if you want your party to act like normal thinking people, the AI on FES won't ever cut the mustard, so to speak.
You made me to search through photos that I made and which shows what current normal thinking people did to the town. It's not pretty. And I wonder if I had even chance to see normal thinking people. They were people. They were normal.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You guys play or planning to play with Japanese or English voice overs?

Also for those playing in English, how is the quality of the VO?

Japanese. ATLUS English voice over is usually fine, and based and some Youtube video P5 is also the case..... BUT Persona 5 seemed to be much more over the top in expression, making it cringeworthy. For comparison, I like SMT IV English dub better than the undubbed version.

Cromwell

Arcane
I played it a bit now and since I avoided spoilers and did not look at screens or videos beforehand I am a bit shocked. My good is this shit cluttered. From the Date which covers up a good portion of the screen to the stupid "questtracker" with his helpful tipps of "get out of here / get from point a to point B" or all the useless chit chat that pops up as youre just walking outside, they imho have overdone it with the "stylishness" or whatever retards call that shit.

With all the Persona 5 hype i decided i wanted to take a quick peak into the series to see what all the fuzz is about. Should i start with Persona 3 or Persona 3 PSP? As i have found out until now it seems that Persona 3 PSP has better combat (because you can control your party members) but lacks the Anima "cutscenes". How much of the gameplay value comes from the Anime part?

P3P portable all the way, no brainer really.

Not only you have control whole party (which is...ekhm... a FUCKING CORE of every normal SMT game that allows to make a good use of weakness system and helps to avoid grinding), there's also an alternative female route, non-canonical one but much better.

This gaem has shit plot so you won't miss much with cutscenes turned into textboxes in PSP version.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
3 hours in. Start is a bit faster than P4, but that is slow. Still in the "tutorial" so not much to say about the gameplay.

The presentation is top tier,and I like the UI, but it's true that it's a bit cluttered. I would remove the quest instructions in the upper right corner, and show them in the pause menu, like in trails of cold steel.

Music it's cool with it's jazzy and funky vibe, but still haven't heard killer hits like "time to make history" and "reach out to the truth". It's soon of course.

Seeing good demon 3D model with attack animations,makes me want a proper SMT with decent budget in a machine with more power that a pocket calculator. I wouldn't mind if they reuse a lot of assets like demons, and make SMT V great again.

Just remember all the demons in nocturne and the dungeon visuals. Compare them with flat 2D sprites like cardboards in some cases, and blurry mess ugly scenarios in SMT IV on 3DS.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Tell me...Are you still chasing black blobs around hallways. Or can you now see what you are going to fight?

Zep--

This very important question went unanswered.

So, I see instead of the blobs, you attack some generic Knights around hallways.

Still attacking shit you have no idea of what's inside.

A little more visually appealing than the old black blob thing, but still decline.

Zep--

Cromwell

Arcane
Tell me...Are you still chasing black blobs around hallways. Or can you now see what you are going to fight?

Zep--

This very important question went unanswered.

So, I see instead of the blobs, you attack some generic Knights around hallways.

Still attacking shit you have no idea of what's inside.

A little more visually appealing than the old black blob thing, but still decline.

Zep--

I like it, its quasi random battles but the indicator is in line with the theme of the dungeon. The last Persona I played was 3 and I almost didnt buy this because of it, so far I have lots of fun with the game. I would still like an option to remove the questtracker (since its utterly useless) and the date from my view and move that to some menu but thats the only thing I dont like until now. I would also like an option to message my teammates to do some stuff and not waiting until they message me but maybe I get that option later since I am still in the first palace.

Silva

Arcane
Game is good but it has too much text. From my 8h so far, more than half must ve been just reading. The biowarian choices that come up constantly doesn't help either. And coming from a series of pure gameplay titles like Dishonored and Souls I'm feeling the need to readjust.

Hope it gets better after this Kamoshida dude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom