Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quick question: Is it true that if you play with Japanese voices, that there aren't subtitles for everything said? In that case, I will keep to English voices.

drae

Augur
So I have a complaint here about the game...

The "Calling Cards" are Fucking Stupid

I don't know, maybe they have a point later in the game, but they totally fucked me. In Persona 4 there was no such thing. You could beat the dungeon boss all the way up to your last day and that's what I always did. I'd always make sure I could get right to the boss and on the last day I'd do it. This was so I could do more of the other things in the game and so the storyline wouldn't move ahead prematurely. This was never a problem.

So I'm doing the exact samething in P5. I'm still in the Kamoshida dungeon (don't have as much time to play as I'd like) and I know I'm at the end cause I'm in the throne room. Ok, great. I'll wait like I always have. I come back a couple days later and have 2 days left to get it done. "No problem," I think. I go into the throne room and find the treasure. "ok, cool." The Morgana starts talking about a "calling card." "What the fuck is this?" I think. All the characters have the same reaction. Morgana explains she was WAITING for this moment to explain these details WHICH ARE INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT TO MAKING DECISIONS ABOUT GAME PLAY. I learn I have to "send a calling card" before fighting the boss. "Hmmm... ok." So this requires me to leave the dungeon, go to the roof top hideout and go through some pointless dialog. I learn that the calling card goes out in the MORNING the NEXT DAY and we don't go in the dungeon to fight the boss until the AFTERNOON.

At this point, I still think I'm good. I still have 1 day remaining it says. So I go back to the cafe and head up to go to sleep and Morgana is like "Oh no we forgot tomorrow is the board meeting!" or whatever and then the "death scenes" start and that's it. Game over. My choices are to go to the title screen or go one week back and redo everything I did in that week ALL OVER AGAIN, which is a fucking eternity. I can't revert to a previous save, because I only have the one that's too recent from the same day (I realize this is my fuck up, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who only uses one save slot). When did I save last you ask? Oh, only RIGHT BEFORE Morgana decides to tell me I'm fucked.

So basically I'm totally screwed. And what the fuck is the point of it all? Calling cards? Fuck off. The fact that the calling card basically screws you out of a day by making you go through a pointless routine/schedule/protocol where you have leave, send the calling card in the morning the NEXT DAY and then go in the afternoon is ridiculous and the problem. The bigger problem, though, that they spring all of this on you totally out of the blue. You don't know it's coming. You don't know shit about it. It's totally unexpected so you can't plan for it. Morgana IG admits as much that he/she/cat waited to tell you until that last minute. I mean, unless you read a walkthru/strategy guide how would you know that and why would you do that if you don't want spoilers? This is a company literally going after people for streaming Let's Play of this game under the reason of "not spoiling it" so shouldn't they understand this completely?

But the worst part is if you wait until the last day not knowing this is coming as I did you're already screwed because the requirement of "sending a calling card" means you're already out of time because you're forced to burn through an extra day you didn't expect. And the thing is, even though this is the case, the game teases and fucks with you, stringing you along like "yeah, we're going to send the calling card tomorrow and then go beat Kamoshida!" like everything is okay, but then suddenly Morgana is like "Oh I forgot! The board meeting is tomorrow!" and you're dead. I mean shouldn't the game realize you're fucked (or better yet, they just fucked you with this calling card BS)? What's the point of making you go through all those motions if you're a dead persona walking? It's the only time I can remember a game's built in storyline mechanisms/cut scenes cause you to die.

And when you die if you're like me and see the option to go back AN ENTIRE WEEK you're like "Fuck no FUCK NO FUCK NO" and you immediately go to the title screen. There you realize how fucked you are, so after cussing and putting your head in your hands you have no choice but to revert to your previous save. Oh fuck! That's right! I have to go through ALL THE MOTIONS AGAIN just to be back to get to the option to go back one week.... and then by that time you're so fucking pissed you just want to save after the week revert and cool off but you can't because you have to go through these fucking cut scenes before you can save! You could just fast forward through them, but of course it's one where the teacher asks a question that could boosts your stats, so you don't want to lose that -- especially since you got it before.

Fuck me.

SO ATTENTION PERSONA 5 PLAYERS: ALWAYS GIVE YOURSELF AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE THE DEADLINE TO BEAT THE BOSS BECAUSE OF THE STUPID FUCKING CALLING CARD THING!!

I'm going to use my formidable powers of deduction and say that you don't check your calendar.

Ask me how I know ...

Cromwell

Arcane
Quick question: Is it true that if you play with Japanese voices, that there aren't subtitles for everything said? In that case, I will keep to English voices.

No subtitles for the movies for example. Everything important is subbed but not all of it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ye but not everything is subbed. I heard that stuff that people think in their minds aren't subbed with JP VA. Futaba's thoughts, for example, seem to be not subbed at all.

Cromwell

Arcane
Ye but not everything is subbed. I heard that stuff that people think in their minds aren't subbed with JP VA. Futaba's thoughts, for example, seem to be not subbed at all.

the only thing I found that isnt translated are movie / dvd scenes and stuff morganas says on the ep screen. even the combat stuff which is always the same is translated. I dont know what you mean by futabas thoughts since I just finished the third palace but if its rthe same as the thoughts of random people or the stuff on loading screens then its subbed (appears as thought bubble text in english).

I'm not interested in spoilers about the plot, bosses, etc. But I do like to have a gameplan with my character building.

I'm doing with this one:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74549

Pretty good + spoiler free.

The Fusion Calculator has been putting me in a good spot, although I still don't know the 'earliest' I can get a few of these skills outside of glancing at each of the Persona one by one. Still, it's saved me a good deal of money. I've never been good at efficiently getting skills I want from point A to point B in these games, so this thing has really been a lifesaver.

Outside of that I've got a weeb friend at work who's given me some sage advice here and there. I actually restarted the game after the 3rd dungeon, just because I enjoy the early portion in these games and wanted to improve some of the beginning phases. Managed to reach Kamoshida's treasure on hard in 1 day thanks to some of his advice. I had completely forgotten you regain SP after being put to sleep. It became doable after buying up all the SP soda, fusing a Genbu (ice immune) and letting Silky groups that only use dormina and bufu put me to sleep when my MC was running low.

BTW dunno is it's just coincindence (but haven't got it in any other title) or staight game related matter but after >hour of playing Persona 5 my PS3 sends warning of overheating, do you guyz got this problem as well?

I'll check it once I know how to check it. There is only warning like 'Your system is overheating, turn it down and don't turn on for a while'.

Cromwell

Arcane
At the final boss of the Udmurt pyramid, eager to beat it so i can make her my waifu...

Shes the best waifu. Shes the best character. I should move back home into my parents basement and only spend time with a futaba body pillow.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Shes the best waifu. Shes the best character. I should move back home into my parents basement and only spend time with a futaba body pillow.
Had chance to romance Ann and pedo maid, but aparently there are grave consequences if I romance them all... So harem playthrough will be only on new game plus.

Max Stats

Liturgist
I'll check it once I know how to check it.

I think you need custom firmware to check PS3 temps.

Anyway, if it's out of warranty, you may want to open it up to blow out all the dust with compressed air. Then run it in an open area of the room with plenty of space on all sides for airflow (putting it in a cabinet is a no no), with a fairly cool ambient temperature (open window & use fans or AC if that doesn't help). If you're finding it warm, your system is too.

PS3 has to get pretty hot to actually overheat, considerably hotter than a 360, which starts to be a problem in the 60's (C), depending on the model, so you definitely need to get that down.

dunno lah

Arcane
Just for reference, I have had a slim ps3 on rebug firmware which showed temperatures ranging from high 60s to mid 70 degrees celsius for both the cpu and the rsx.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not enough kindness for Futaba, i'm on the school trip and didnt know i needed kindness 4 to progress with her... do i have enough time to grind flower shop to raise it?

Cromwell

Arcane
Not enough kindness for Futaba, i'm on the school trip and didnt know i needed kindness 4 to progress with her... do i have enough time to grind flower shop to raise it?

depends on how much kindness you already have. I think there should be no problem if you just do the next palace as quick as you can and then concentrate on the flowershop since you can do it two tzimes a day.

Also if you play the game in your living room and your better half is there doing whatever be careful not to embrace your inner teenagerweeb. I was on skype with a friend of mine and we talked about the game and I told him something like "yes I grinded in the flowershop to get my kindness to 4 I had to put out flower bouquets like a motherfucker." Which prompted her to laugh in tears for about ten minutes.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

depends on how much kindness you already have. I think there should be no problem if you just do the next palace as quick as you can and then concentrate on the flowershop since you can do it two tzimes a day.

Also if you play the game in your living room and your better half is there doing whatever be careful not to embrace your inner teenagerweeb. I was on skype with a friend of mine and we talked about the game and I told him something like "yes I grinded in the flowershop to get my kindness to 4 I had to put out flower bouquets like a motherfucker." Which prompted her to laugh in tears for about ten minutes.

Thanks. So far i focused mostly on leveling companions for gameplay reasons, like maxing out Ann, Ryuji, Tae, Sojiro, Kawakami (awesome massage). Guts, knowledge, and Kindness seem to be a pain in the ass to level.

I figured i would have more free time, but there is a lot of story occupying days on end with just text and no actual gameplay. Think they should have done a better job interweaving the story with free time.

Cromwell

Arcane

Thanks. So far i focused mostly on leveling companions for gameplay reasons, like maxing out Ann, Ryuji, Tae, Sojiro, Kawakami (awesome massage). Guts, knowledge, and Kindness seem to be a pain in the ass to level.

I figured i would have more free time, but there is a lot of story occupying days on end with just text and no actual gameplay. Think they should have done a better job interweaving the story with free time.

If you want a heap of free time then always do the palace as quickly as possible. You will not have much free time before a Palace and directly after a limit ran out. Kindness is rather easy if you always feed your plant (with ideally the akihabara stuff or the flowershop stuff before) and then do the flowershop part time. Someone told me that ideally you have done all you wanted before december because then the story will be on rails more or less but I havent confirmed that with a guide but it should give you a rough estimate.

You can also wait until you do your memento stuff since (as far as I have seen) the requests wont go away, so just take one day to do them all. Of course that depends on your tolerance of mementos, this stuff looks to me a bit like the never changing tartarus out of P3. If you get the doctor to rank five you get the sp rank 3 acessories (100k yen each) which give you back 7 sp each turn which means you can do endless memento runs as long as you hop from area to area to not get the reaper fight.

You also get kidness after you get some ranks up with sojiro and if you plan on futaba being your waifu they are nice since their stories are conected and she will turn up in his link events (but you need max kindness to progress with him).

GarlandExCon

Arcane
So something I noticed: Once you get enough players where you have to select your "starting line up" of people you want to take inside dungeons there seems to be a big difference between P4 and P5. In P5 let's say you go in with Morgana and then switch her/him/it out with Ann. Even though you haven't used Ann yet in battle it seems to adopt the same SP that Morgana had before the switch. In P4, when you switched whoever you brought in had unique SP. So if you switched Ann for Morgana you'd be bringing in someone with full SP.

Does anyone else remember this being the case? I thought this was kinda weird.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
So I have a complaint here about the game...

The "Calling Cards" are Fucking Stupid

I don't know, maybe they have a point later in the game, but they totally fucked me. In Persona 4 there was no such thing. You could beat the dungeon boss all the way up to your last day and that's what I always did. I'd always make sure I could get right to the boss and on the last day I'd do it. This was so I could do more of the other things in the game and so the storyline wouldn't move ahead prematurely. This was never a problem.

So I'm doing the exact samething in P5. I'm still in the Kamoshida dungeon (don't have as much time to play as I'd like) and I know I'm at the end cause I'm in the throne room. Ok, great. I'll wait like I always have. I come back a couple days later and have 2 days left to get it done. "No problem," I think. I go into the throne room and find the treasure. "ok, cool." The Morgana starts talking about a "calling card." "What the fuck is this?" I think. All the characters have the same reaction. Morgana explains she was WAITING for this moment to explain these details WHICH ARE INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT TO MAKING DECISIONS ABOUT GAME PLAY. I learn I have to "send a calling card" before fighting the boss. "Hmmm... ok." So this requires me to leave the dungeon, go to the roof top hideout and go through some pointless dialog. I learn that the calling card goes out in the MORNING the NEXT DAY and we don't go in the dungeon to fight the boss until the AFTERNOON.

At this point, I still think I'm good. I still have 1 day remaining it says. So I go back to the cafe and head up to go to sleep and Morgana is like "Oh no we forgot tomorrow is the board meeting!" or whatever and then the "death scenes" start and that's it. Game over. My choices are to go to the title screen or go one week back and redo everything I did in that week ALL OVER AGAIN, which is a fucking eternity. I can't revert to a previous save, because I only have the one that's too recent from the same day (I realize this is my fuck up, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who only uses one save slot). When did I save last you ask? Oh, only RIGHT BEFORE Morgana decides to tell me I'm fucked.

So basically I'm totally screwed. And what the fuck is the point of it all? Calling cards? Fuck off. The fact that the calling card basically screws you out of a day by making you go through a pointless routine/schedule/protocol where you have leave, send the calling card in the morning the NEXT DAY and then go in the afternoon is ridiculous and the problem. The bigger problem, though, that they spring all of this on you totally out of the blue. You don't know it's coming. You don't know shit about it. It's totally unexpected so you can't plan for it. Morgana IG admits as much that he/she/cat waited to tell you until that last minute. I mean, unless you read a walkthru/strategy guide how would you know that and why would you do that if you don't want spoilers? This is a company literally going after people for streaming Let's Play of this game under the reason of "not spoiling it" so shouldn't they understand this completely?

But the worst part is if you wait until the last day not knowing this is coming as I did you're already screwed because the requirement of "sending a calling card" means you're already out of time because you're forced to burn through an extra day you didn't expect. And the thing is, even though this is the case, the game teases and fucks with you, stringing you along like "yeah, we're going to send the calling card tomorrow and then go beat Kamoshida!" like everything is okay, but then suddenly Morgana is like "Oh I forgot! The board meeting is tomorrow!" and you're dead. I mean shouldn't the game realize you're fucked (or better yet, they just fucked you with this calling card BS)? What's the point of making you go through all those motions if you're a dead persona walking? It's the only time I can remember a game's built in storyline mechanisms/cut scenes cause you to die.

And when you die if you're like me and see the option to go back AN ENTIRE WEEK you're like "Fuck no FUCK NO FUCK NO" and you immediately go to the title screen. There you realize how fucked you are, so after cussing and putting your head in your hands you have no choice but to revert to your previous save. Oh fuck! That's right! I have to go through ALL THE MOTIONS AGAIN just to be back to get to the option to go back one week.... and then by that time you're so fucking pissed you just want to save after the week revert and cool off but you can't because you have to go through these fucking cut scenes before you can save! You could just fast forward through them, but of course it's one where the teacher asks a question that could boosts your stats, so you don't want to lose that -- especially since you got it before.

Fuck me.

SO ATTENTION PERSONA 5 PLAYERS: ALWAYS GIVE YOURSELF AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE THE DEADLINE TO BEAT THE BOSS BECAUSE OF THE STUPID FUCKING CALLING CARD THING!!

I'm going to use my formidable powers of deduction and say that you don't check your calendar.

Ask me how I know ...

I didn't but I went back to check and it isn't actually clear on the entire calling card business either, which is problematic because you're not expecting the game to jump forward a day.There's also several times in other dungeons where something happens that you have to do something in the real world and it means pushing the game forward a day unexpectedly. I mean, if you don't see this coming, which you can't, the calendar is not going to help prevent it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom