Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Released

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, now the best selling game on GOG is NWN.
:hmmm:

344f148238488166e812cae596a2217438e87396929acf3ec0df24ebcc6262dc.jpg

You're alright, Beamdog.

As an aside, whatever they've got cooking D&D wise better be more Neverwinter Nights than Baldur's Gate because by the looks of it the isometric market for RPGs has capped.

Crolug

Liturgist
As I stated somewhere before - I wouldn't buy it for 20 bucks. But I bought it for $8 on GOG and after a few hours played I can confirm it was money well spent.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
From <https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq#12>:

Which mods, or parts of mods, for PST are included in PST:EE?

Qwinn's PST Fixpack has undergone a thorough review by the PST:EE development team. With Qwinn's permission, we've integrated most of the content from that mod into PST:EE. Other changes were left out as some of them had been cut from the original game on purpose.

Waste of time even torrenting it.

Electryon

Savant
I'm not sure why people can't get it through their thick skulls that there are plenty of people in the world who don't want to mod Baldur's Gate or Planescape for 30 minutes after installing it, and THAT is the audience for these Enhanced Editions. The old versions are part of the package on GOG, so who gives a shit??

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
From <https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq#12>:

Which mods, or parts of mods, for PST are included in PST:EE?

Qwinn's PST Fixpack has undergone a thorough review by the PST:EE development team. With Qwinn's permission, we've integrated most of the content from that mod into PST:EE. Other changes were left out as some of them had been cut from the original game on purpose.
Noice, I should really buy it. Fixed bugs + proper high res UI + no more motherfucking graphics glitches/lags.

No excuse to not buy it really. It's only $7 on Steam if you have an ex-USSR/CIS bank card, BTW.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm not sure why people can't get it through their thick skulls that there are plenty of people retards in the world who don't want to mod Baldur's Gate or Planescape for 30 minutes after installing it, and THAT is the audience for these Enhanced Editions.
Fixed.

The old versions are part of the package on GOG, so who gives a shit??
People who don't want to pay twice the price just because there's now EE label next to the game's name, nor even wanted the EE in the first place.

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant
I'm not sure why people can't get it through their thick skulls that there are plenty of people retards in the world who don't want to mod Baldur's Gate or Planescape for 30 minutes after installing it, and THAT is the audience for these Enhanced Editions.
Fixed.

The old versions are part of the package on GOG, so who gives a shit??
People who don't want to pay twice the price just because there's now EE label next to the game's name, nor even wanted the EE in the first place.

Who the hell on Earth who wanted it hasn't bought the original Torment off GOG during one of the dozen or so sales it's been a part of in the last 4 or 5 years?? More to the point, not WANTING to mod the game isn't the same as not being able to. But beyond that, do you honestly think most people picking up Torment for the first time have even the faintest fucking clue what WeiDU is, or what modding communities to visit to get the 5 or 6 ones necessary to get it to EE standards. Those of us who live in the RPG bubble can do it no problem, sure. So don't fucking buy the new one. Your original Torment didn't disappear from your GOG library. You can mod the thing to your heart's content.

Black Angel

Arcane
Who the hell on Earth who wanted it hasn't bought the original Torment off GOG during one of the dozen or so sales it's been a part of in the last 4 or 5 years??
People who bought the CD/bought it day one, but their copy doesn't work anymore, and for some reason doesn't know the digital version exist in GOG? And maybe cRPG newfags who discovered they have love for top-down, isometric cRPGs when they begin their gaming experince (like me). Yeah, there's people like that. I know, unbelievable, right?

More to the point, not WANTING to mod the game isn't the same as not being able to.
It's literally few clicks of a mouse and some buttons on the keyboard. It's THAT fucking easy. Basically you're paying someone to click the mouse a few times and some buttons on the keyboard for, what, an extra 10 bucks?

Like I said, retards gonna retard.

But beyond that, do you honestly think most people picking up Torment for the first time have even the faintest fucking clue what WeiDU is, or what modding communities to visit to get the 5 or 6 ones necessary to get it to EE standards.
This is an age of information and google. Like I said, it's literally few clicks of mouse and keyboard buttons.

Those of us who live in the RPG bubble can do it no problem, sure. So don't fucking buy the new one. Your original Torment didn't disappear from your GOG library. You can mod the thing to your heart's content.
Again, how about people who discovered their love for top-down, isometric cRPGs at this point in time?

Hell, I'd admit, having only begin playing top-down isometric cRPGs at the end of 2015, I'm kind of disappointed that I can't get my hands on the original cut of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2.

Torrents exist, yes, but I'd like to give money to GOG for preserving some good old games.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So let me get this straight; they added a fixed UI, Fixpack, some bug fixes and called it a day? So no new intro, no new chars or quests?
On paper it sounds even commendable but then again why do it on the first place save for people who just want to install the game and play it, who might not have the time or interests for mods...
Have to say I still think Trento and his band of hacks are no good motherfuckers but still that sounds ok I guess

Electryon

Savant
Hell, I'd admit, having only begin playing top-down isometric cRPGs at the end of 2015, I'm kind of disappointed that I can't get my hands on the original cut of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2.

Torrents exist, yes, but I'd like to give money to GOG for preserving some good old games.

You can get your hands on the old versions of Baldur's Gate. They come with the EE if you buy it on GOG. Same goes for Icewind Dale. And right now all 3 of them are roughly $5 apiece.

Black Angel

Arcane
You can get your hands on the old versions of Baldur's Gate. They come with the EE if you buy it on GOG. Same goes for Icewind Dale. And right now all 3 of them are roughly $5 apiece.
Except, I don't want to pay for the EE, too. I want ONLY JUST the Original Cut.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

More expensive than before and money goes to beamdog.

Electryon

Savant

Then your beef is with Wizards of the Coast, who would have the absolute final say in this. Also, I had no idea $2 was breaking the bank around here. Because of this change you can now buy exactly one less 20 oz. soda than you could before.

Deleted Member 16721

Not only what Electryon is saying, but Beamdog actively supporting the EE ensures it will be supported, patched and taken care of going forward. No one will have to rely on a patchwork modded version that had to cobble together while simultaneously crossing their fingers hoping it will continue to work with outdated user mods. If you don't think that service alone is worth an extra $10 then I don't know what to say to you. That's not even considering the updates they've done to the game, the improvements and the sheer fact that people are talking about, playing and hyped up again for Planescape Fucking Torment. Do you think that bodes well for future CRPGs like it, perhaps? Hmm?

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Then your beef is with Wizards of the Coast, who would have the absolute final say in this. Also, I had no idea $2 was breaking the bank around here. Because of this change you can now buy exactly one less 20 oz. soda than you could before.
How about 67% price increase? Also good that you recognized that the argument about money going to beamdog is valid.

Weasel
Not only what Electryon is saying, but Beamdog actively supporting the EE ensures it will be supported, patched and taken care of going forward. No one will have to rely on a patchwork modded version that had to cobble together while simultaneously crossing their fingers hoping it will continue to work with outdated user mods. If you don't think that service alone is worth an extra $10 then I don't know what to say to you. That's not even considering the updates they've done to the game, the improvements and the sheer fact that people are talking about, playing and hyped up again for Planescape Fucking Torment. Do you think that bodes well for future CRPGs like it, perhaps? Hmm?

Given you never played PST before the EE came out, where do you get this stuff about 'crossing fingers' and comparisons of the versions from?

Deleted Member 16721

Given you never played PST before the EE came out, where do you get this stuff about 'crossing fingers' and comparisons of the versions from?

I've seen screenshots of the modded version at high resolution. The UI is not suitable at high res as it becomes tiny, much like the NWN UI does. There also is no mod that I'm aware of that adds TAB highlighting, a zoom function or a searchable journal, to name a few.

I've also modded plenty of other games with user mods and know how that goes. The mods for older games are generally older mods that are no longer supported, and many times you do have to cross your fingers and hope your game doesn't crash or introduce some new compatability issue. It's called Modding Hell for a reason. I should know, I've been there. Several times. I am a Planeswalker. :)

But beyond that, unless you are suggesting that using a variety of user mods cobbled together on your own is more stable than a professional retooling, packaging and supporting of the game like what Beamdog does, I'm going to just have to disagree based on personal experience. And I don't think you would suggest using old user mods would be more future-proofed for future operating systems updates as well, either, right? The whole customer support thing helps, too, so while Beamdog does use mods in their build (yes, I am aware they used that fellow's mod package in the EE) they also actively support them, so if you have an issue they will answer you and help you. They will also patch the game as well. Seems like a very good deal to me.

And if you still think all of that isn't worth an extra $10, then I again point you to the fact that we are discussing PS:T in 2017, and many people on Steam are doing the same. That alone is a great thing for CRPG culture. More of these EEs generates more discussion about the classics + generates public awareness of CRPGs = more CRPGs for us in the future. It's a pretty simple concept.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Angel

Arcane
Seriously man, if you're trying to say you don't own PST yet I suggest you get the hell out of here, for your own sake.
I already own it. Hell, even though I've already got a modded torrented version, I still downloaded the installer before the EE is fully released.

I'm merely speaking on behalf of those who've only discovered their love for Top-Down, Isometric cRPGs (and cRPGs in general) at around this point in time, and maybe in the future. Like I said, I've only began playing cRPGs at the end of 2015 with Underrail, and I can't overemphasize how disappointed I am that I can't get my hands on the Original Cut of Baldur's Gate I and II, the legal way, without having to pay for the EE content.

Sacibengala

Prophet

Icewind dale enhanced edition last patch was from 2015. Nice support for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom