Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher editor, patch and premium module released

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
the only thing that can really save witcher is totally rewriting that awful "bring me N of that shit" quests.

Which are mostly optional. You do like to bitch don't you?

Dhruin

Liturgist
I would. I didn't do any outside of the first couple in Ch.1 and occasionally I'd do one accidentally by just having the components in inventory.

MetalCraze

Arcane
well I'm in a chapter 3 though. so I will see about the secondary quests.

however how do you cheat the granny? as soon as I'm entering the house the dialogue initiates (always) - and she usually asks for some gift. well I don't want to give that annoying bitch anything - so it's welcome to Vyzima's streets again.

Thalkirst

Novice
skyway said:
well I'm in a chapter 3 though. so I will see about the secondary quests.

however how do you cheat the granny? as soon as I'm entering the house the dialogue initiates (always) - and she usually asks for some gift. well I don't want to give that annoying bitch anything - so it's welcome to Vyzima's streets again.

Find this guy in the Temple Quarter and do this:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Bootblack

You get a Prophet Lebioda signet ring.

Tell the granny that you're a priest from Temple and show the ring as an evidence. She will leave you alone from there on.

mjorkerina

Scholar
My biggest problem with the witcher is the fact that the side quests are, for the most part, completable in the same time as you are completing the main quest. You never truly are required to focus on any side quest because the mainquest will railroad you in a way that allows you to complete a part of it in the same time as completing the side quests. I discovered this when I got somewhat bored of the loadings and tried to just follow the mainquest and yet was still able to do all the sidequests without caring for them, sometimes a little bit later than if I had chosen to do them directly but still. You really don't need to go out of your way to complete them.

For a second I thought I was playing the RPG edition of Half Life 2. Always put on rails.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
The granny will also leave you alone if you give her a pair of golden gloves (which can be bought at the peddler just outside of the house), when she tells you she'd like a pair of them.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
the granny can be beaten given the right choices :)

iirc "the price of neutrality" is just a demo for the D'jinni editor (no voice-overs, pretty short)... i've read that in their forum posted by a dev

supposedly the next mod bundled with the EE will be better

on my system (at least in WIndowsXP, no crack for WINE/Linux testing yet) patch 1.3 makes the performance better

Binary

Liturgist
Licaon_Kter said:
on my system (at least in WIndowsXP, no crack for WINE/Linux testing yet) patch 1.3 makes the performance better

Looking forward to this... but I couldn't even get 1.2 to work on Wine :(

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Binary said:
Licaon_Kter said:

Looking forward to this... but I couldn't even get 1.2 to work on Wine :(
The Witcher on Linux: info, city vid, combat vid and more info ;)

oh...BTW don't even bother if you have a nVidia 7xxx card... the models are f*cked up...also can't really say anything about ATI/AMD cards (since i don't have any)

Texas Red

Whiner
So the final verdict is that the module sucks(based on responses from 2 people)?

Inziladun

Magister
The module didn't really "suck" per se. It was just a bit of a disappointment as it seemed like they were promising more than what it was. Someone said earlier that it was just a demo demonstrating what you could do with the editor and that makes a lot of sense.

Basically it was pretty short (maybe about an hour if you take your time), and kinda left you feeling it was kind of pointless after you finished it.

And it felt weird not having voice-acting, not that having voice-acting is a must, the dialogue just seems set up to have it, this is really apparent during the storyboards at the end of the module.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Inziladun said:
And it felt weird not having voice-acting, not that having voice-acting is a must, the dialogue just seems set up to have it, this is really apparent during the storyboards at the end of the module.
the lack of voice acting is not bad thing per-se, given that the full game has full voice-overs maybe we just are expecting that here too, but since the cinematics are so dinamic and such, having text appear on screen spoken by NPCs off screen, or NPCs that just sit there with their mouths closed looks pretty dumb :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom