Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment I've decided to finally play torment

So I'm an oldfag who has been playing rpgs, tabletop, pc, console games since the 80's and I've decided to finally play Planescape :Torment.

I'm familiar with D&D rules and settings from 1st - 4th, is there anything I should know about the game? Issues new players have? Are there issues with the purity of the Enhanced Edition? Should I buy the original?

I'm prepared for shit and decline ratings, but there is no other forum I'd rather go to for impressions and advice.

Thanks in advance,

SVS

Def. google some guides, but max out Wisdom from character creation - gets you the most XP boosts and dialogue options. I feel like the rest goes in to Intelligence.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Reminds me of a reddit thread I saw for millennials a week ago that explained how to chew food, millennials being so clueless that they actually need explanations like that.

Are you sure you're old? Just install and play. There's nothing to know. EE is fine.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There are checks for other stats as well. You can beat someone up with high str, steal stuff with high dex, remember stuff with high wis, etc.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This isn't some Might and Magic 7. Don't read what people say about investing into this or that. Just play the game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
is there anything I should know about the game?
Invest into your mental stats. Then stop reading guides and threads like this until you've finished the game.

Should I buy the original?
Yes, if you can find it.

Are there problems with the Remake?
A certain mod "unfinished business" hasn't been adapted to it. But it's not crucial. At least with EE you can zoom in at the distance that was originally intended, the letters are big etc. EE is best for first time. When you replay years later, that mod will have been adapted to EE.

Reminds me of a reddit thread I saw for millennials a week ago that explained how to chew food, millennials being so clueless that they actually need explanations like that.

Are you sure you're old? Just install and play. There's nothing to know. EE is fine.

I'm asking these questions because I know there are a lot of differing opinions regarding Torment on the codex, and I feel like a game that's praised almost universally as the best rpg of all time would have a lot of refined opinions.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Buy the EE, unless you want to install like 10 mods and still end up with some glitches, crashes and corrupt saves.

There's absolutely no reason not to. They've actually bothered to remodel the UI graphics in HD, the music is finally 44 kHz instead of 22 kHz, there's zooming, blah blah. And MCA himself oversaw all the changes. No reason to deprive yourself of the superior version, unless you're an autistic hipster that absolutely must play the true original (tm) version. Then you might as well play the original vanilla without any mods. Party like it's 1999 lol.

And don't fucking go looking up any guides or walkthroughs. Who the fuck cares about some random XP bonuses here and there. The game is all about story, don't spoil yourself.

Darkzone

Arcane
Start with Wisdom 17-18 (i don't remember the exact number anymore) or so. All stats will increase over the game through various ways. Intelligence is less important than Wisdom, but increase it to 17 before you go underground. Constitution is also neat, especially later in the game you should have it over 20 or 21, for regeneration over time. Speak with O in the tavern, before you do something else and you will understand this after you have done it.
What is else to say, without a spoiler? Have a lot of fun!

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
unless you're an autistic hipster that absolutely must play the true original (tm) version. Then you might as well play the original vanilla without any mods. Party like it's 1999 lol.

That was the vibe I was getting, that the remake wasn't incomplete or ruined, it just wasn't kvlt like the original. Thanks.
That's the thing. The Codex is a bit inane (tsundere?) about these kind of re-releases. If it was a free mod/engine recreation, it'd be hailed as the second coming of Jesus. But how dare they ask $20 for making the game actually work hassle free on modern systems!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Explore companion dialogues.
Besides making sure to get the already mentioned crucial Bronze Sphere, you may also want to buy a certain metallic cube and speak with funny winged rectangular guys.

Try to deliver an early FedEx quest content intact.

Since Wis & Int are the best stats, by far, a good idea is to play as a mage. At high levels mage spells are VERY flashy and quite deadly.

DraQ

Arcane
So I'm an oldfag who has been playing rpgs, tabletop, pc, console games since the 80's and I've decided to finally play Planescape :Torment.
Save versus stupid successful!
:smug:

I'm familiar with D&D rules and settings from 1st - 4th, is there anything I should know about the game?
It's more of an adventure/jPG, albeit one using D'n'D rules, Planescape Setting and IE, than your typical cRPG, so mental attributes are the king and dialogue/text is the meat of the content.

Otherwise, just prepare for the awesome.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In my opinion your first go in PS:T should be with as few knowledge as possible. Get lost in the game and find out stuff slowly slowly. Second playthrough you can min max and take optimal paths and so on

It's more of a visual novel than a game so really nothing you'll attempt during gameplay has any lasting consequences. Except if you die a bunch of times during the end-game sequence that has a very obvious non-textual "DON'T DIE HERE FUCKO" plastered on it.
Also dump everything in wisdom and int, but don't bother raising it further during level ups, since you'll be drowning in free bonuses soon enough.

A certain mod "unfinished business" hasn't been adapted to it. But it's not crucial. At least with EE you can zoom in at the distance that was originally intended, the letters are big etc. EE is best for first time. When you replay years later, that mod will have been adapted to EE.
It wasn't. I mean, it literally wasn't, the Toaster said the cut content wasn't meeting the golden PST standard of whatever. Which is okay, because most cut content ever is real fucking garbage and I say it as a guy who spent days of her life restoring this stuff for games.
https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq#11

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If it was a free mod/engine recreation, it'd be hailed as the second coming of Jesus. But how dare they ask $20 for making the game actually work hassle free on modern systems!

Exactly, moron. That price would warrant something more than "it works a little better than the modded version"... which may not even be that true if the bug rumors are true. And there's no reason to believe they're not true seeing as their other EEs were full of bugs that were not fully fixed even today. And that's bugs added by them not from the originals.
But yeah, such "entitlement" to not want to pay $20 for a hack job.

Moron Black Tooth.

What I smell here is some more butthurt that you didn't get the praise you wanted for your Arcanum mod and it hurts deeply that you had to do it for free. Basically Beamdog are like your idols.. modding games for money.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
How much of worth is the unfinished business mod? It's supposed to add a few unfinished and/or unimplemented quests and conversations. Not sure if these are really something you want though. Sometimes stuff isn't implemented because of time constraints, often enough because it is found wanting. The reason I haven't tried the EE yet is that I'm not sure how much this mod actually adds. If I replay this game I want it to be the best version there is.

How much of worth is the unfinished business mod? It's supposed to add a few unfinished and/or unimplemented quests and conversations. Not sure if these are really something you want though. Sometimes stuff isn't implemented because of time constraints, often enough because it is found wanting. The reason I haven't tried the EE yet is that I'm not sure how much this mod actually adds. If I replay this game I want it to be the best version there is.
Well, it's less fanfiction-y than BG2's unfinished business, and definitely less involved than, say, the one for KotOR 2. You can skip on the quests, they're not really worth much of your time. The restored dialogs, banters, and the Carl Parfidor thing are pretty cool. So are the minor characters, they give the game a bit more flavor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom