Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a game with a joypad

v1rus

Arcane
Really in mood for something semi-casual, easy to pick up and yet complex and deep. Joypad isnt really a must, but eh, I'd like to use it. I figure there's an indie game somewhere that fits what I'm looking for, isnt it? Better the art style, the happier I am.

Vorark

Erudite
Super Meat Boy? Played it with kb+m but heard it's better with a pad. It's one of those "easy to pick, hard to master" games.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Ori & the Blind Forest is a pretty decent Metroid-like. Plays well with a controller.

Shovel Knight is also a pretty good platformer. Just got a free expansion too.

v1rus

Arcane
Super Meat Boy? Played it with kb+m but heard it's better with a pad. It's one of those "easy to pick, hard to master" games.

Beat it, 106%.

Dark Souls

Beat it, 100%.

Devil May Cry 4

Well, I like playing games in their chronological order, and I never beat any of the past ones. :/

Bayonetta.

Binding of Isaac?

Thought of BoI already, kinda afraid its gonna remind me of SMB too much. Gonna give it a go if I dont find anything else. Whats the deal with Bayonetta tho? Seen lots of ppl recommend it, tho I havent seen anything thats worth recommending from gameplay vids/screens.

Ori & the Blind Forest is a pretty decent Metroid-like. Plays well with a controller.

Shovel Knight is also a pretty good platformer. Just got a free expansion too.

Beat Shovel Knight, didnt get into expansions tho. Ori & the Blind Forest looks spot-on.

Anyone know anything about this? Its shiny, very shiny. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apotheon

thesoup

Arcane
You don't really need to play the previous games to get dmc4. 3 is also out for pc. 1 and 2 are ps2 only, tho. You can safely skip 2, according to everyone.

v1rus

Arcane
You don't really need to play the previous games to get dmc4. 3 is also out for pc. 1 and 2 are ps2 only, tho. You can safely skip 2, according to everyone.

Got both ps3 and ps2 (and dem ps2 emus) so that shouldn't be a problem. And I actually played 2, I think, or was that the first one. Oh well, gonna give it a go if all else fails!

gromit

Arcane
Beat Shovel Knight, didnt get into expansions tho. Ori & the Blind Forest looks spot-on.

Anyone know anything about this? Its shiny, very shiny. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apotheon

Don't look for a Metroidvania in Ori. It is an absolutely fantastic platformer, the kind which only comes around so often. However the open world is for effect, and collectibles, nothing more.

Apotheon is pretty good. Some call the controls "floaty" which I guess is fair, but it seems intentional as the action has a very deliberate pace. It's not going full RPG-Platformer like Dex but has a decent hub and some goals there and out in the world. Probably some of my favorite combat in a platformer, at least on paper -- it's only when things are at their very most frantic the limitations / shortcomings of the system are clear (the game is not frantic often)

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thought of BoI already, kinda afraid its gonna remind me of SMB too much.
Too many acronyms, but, SMB? What, Super Mario Brothers? Those are nothing alike.

Whats the deal with Bayonetta tho? Seen lots of ppl recommend it, tho I havent seen anything thats worth recommending from gameplay vids/screens.
It's a really deep/fun beat 'em up like Devil May Cry with an over the top story and an addicting combo system?

v1rus

Arcane
Too many acronyms, but, SMB? What, Super Mario Brothers? Those are nothing alike.

Whats the deal with Bayonetta tho? Seen lots of ppl recommend it, tho I havent seen anything thats worth recommending from gameplay vids/screens.
It's a really deep/fun beat 'em up like Devil May Cry with an over the top story and an addicting combo system?

Super Meat Boy :D

And as far as Bayonetta goes, well, I should prolly try it if I decide to try DMC. Not that big for beat 'em ups. What do you mean by deep tho? Good combat?

People complain about Resident Evil 4 controls on PC - dunno, maybe it's for keyboard and mouse but on proper gamepad it's heaven. Best RE gameplay-wise (best storywise is RE1/REmake).

Big Nose Freaks Out! - game is MADE for analog stick despite being a NES title.

Playing God Hand without pad gets you ass kicked.

But there's is also a hipster statement - best way to play (Super) Street Fighter 2 (Turbo) (XLS edition) is a plain keyboard.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Super Meat Boy :D

And as far as Bayonetta goes, well, I should prolly try it if I decide to try DMC. Not that big for beat 'em ups. What do you mean by deep tho? Good combat?
Still applies then, they both don't have much in common other than flash animation.

By deep, I mean an intricate and fun combo/parry system that Platinum is known for.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
You can download Cave Story for free from their official site. I didn't care for it but I know some people who swear by it.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Metal Gear Revengeance
I don't like spectacle fighters because I'm terrible at parrying and even worse at inputting combos but Revengeance was just a joy to play. Pure, over the top , silly b movie action with a fantastic soundtrack.

edit: You don't even have to deal with it any of its stealth game predecessors, I didn't and I could follow the plot just fine ... well.. as well as one can follow a metal gear plotline.

edit2: On the indie side, definitely look into Bastion lovely art style and soundtrack and decent gameplay.

p.s. If you decide to play DMC, then DMC3 is the way to go, its the first one chronologically anyway.

Last edited:

Walden

Savant
Metroid games
Viewtiful Joe
Okami
Demon's Souls
Genji(ps2)
Shadow of the Colossus
Sleeping Dogs
God Hand
Darksiders

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom