Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingston plays Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Greetings!

This is totally not another "Let's Play" thread because the title doesn't say "Let's Play". This is a totally original invention.

Part 0 - you are reading it right now.
Part 1
Part 2
:arrow:Part 3

While searching for old forgotten games to play I stumbled upon an action-rpg called "Kult: Heretic Kingdoms". Thrilled at the screenshots (graphics whore that I am), I was lucky enough to locate this game. And I don't really know if that last sentence actually makes sense (Because I liked the graphics, I was lucky to find it?). Funnily enough, there's an old interview with the developers on the Codex. Must be good stuff then. Oh, you don't have to deal with my huge-ass screenshots this time round, this game only supports one resolution methinks so I'm running it on windowed.

So join me, why don't you, as I play this game. One window on the game, the other on this page.

First, an interesting developer logo.

cap001od6.jpg

Looks good. Not *too* flashy, none of that beveled black next-gen logo bullshit. A good old manly logo that depicts a man/robot hooked up to a futuristic machine with purple lightning striking about.

The game starts off with an appropriately bikini-clad big-titted heroine weilding a huge sword. Gotta love that leather. There is an old man speaking. Let us listen.

cap002bc1.jpg

The camera pans upwards to get a better shot of the boobies. The old man's voice is pretty good by the way, it isn't pretentious, there are no exaggerated syllables, no uplifting tone. It sounds... I dunno, from the heart. :3

cap003fp0.jpg

cap004rp9.jpg

And hey, that's the whole beginning "cinematic". The main menu rises through the picture, and a good instrumental kicks in. Hey, this ain't half-bad. It's pretty decent. Just goes to show you don't need all the epic graphics overload to get yourself excited. Actually, I enjoy the music enough to go and put it on my mp3-player (yes, I'm loaded! A goddamn mp3-player!) sometime in the future :mentalnote:

cap005kj6.jpg

Alrighty, let's start a new game. I ought to think the Baron of Pepsi should make a return. If you are wondering what is going on in my HGL thread, well my Windose died and I had to reformat and *lost* the saves. The horror! Anyway, you can watch the ending cinematic on youtube. I won't blame you if you do, honest.

But wait a minute. . .

cap006mp9.jpg

. . . You can't change the gender!

What the fuck, man? I wanna play as a manly heroic masculine man! This is totally unfair, its not a goddamn rpg of any sense. This is totally offensive to men and I refuse to fucking play it 'cos I can't roleplay a fucking FEMALE!

Alright, silliness aside, there appear to be four attributes: Melee, Ranged, Magic and Speed. Unfortunately they can't be formed into a witty acronym. Instead of a percentage or number indicating your level on that skill, you've got grades instead (Oh my! Can you smell the innovation?). Apparently it takes 100 points to raise an attribute by a ... plus. So basically it goes F, E-, E, E+, D-, D, D+, etc. Currently we can raise one attribute to a C or spread it out. You decide!

There are also two "attunements" to pick. I guess these are skills of some sort. We'll find out in due course.

Anyhoo, I'll let you guys pick what type of character to make.

• Generic kill-em-all mage?

Generic fighter?

Generic bow..person?

Something in-between?

Till next time

dagorkan

Arbiter
I remember the demo of this game wasn't bad at all for a Diablo-like, I'll be following this thread.

Demicore

Novice
I was also charmed by the demo and bought this game. Turns out it was pretty shallow and uninteresting :( (even for an action RPG)

I hope you'll have more fun with it than I did.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Anyway, I say fighter. A hot woman wielding a gigantic phallic object she obviously does not have to upper body strength to even drag ftw!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Put all your points into speed and nothing else.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I really enjoyed Kult. It had some interesting ideas, a nice story and even a couple of attempts at choices. Not everything worked but it's a nice little action/RPG.

Go magic and ranged for supreme aggravation seeing as melee is almost always broken in action RPGs and we can't actually have a Let's Play thread actually finish for once....

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
I loved Kult - for all its problems.

It has a very interesting storyline and a compelling main character, but it really is obvious, that the engine and the game mechanics were fully completed before the American novelist came in and wrote the story.

It's Diablo on the outside (with an albeit very interesting character - item - relation system) and a novel on the inside. It's like Siege of Avalon turned upside down.

OT: Speed, speed and speed!

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Speed it is!

For the two attunements I picked two that were universal, since I don't know what type of character Lady Spinepunch will blossom into. I picked

• Way of the Warrior 1 - Doubles critical chances. (Attunement type: No element, melee)

Serenpidity - Increases chance of finding good treasure at random. (Attunement type: Any)

I tried to pick an outfit that exaggerates Lady Spinepunch's cleavage as well as general whoreiness (but she's a lady!)

cap007jg6.jpg

The game starts off at a Monastery Gate. The background looks like a mix of hand-drawn and a pre-rendered 3d image. Lady Spinepunch is on a bridge with some sort of priest on her side.

cap010yt3.jpg

Oh dear, that's the story down the toilet then, isn't it. A sword? Could that possibly be *the* most overused plot device in any game ever. Pretty much every SNES game had a sword or blade you had to go look for. I guess you'll want me to pull it out of a rock next.

To save on loading times, I'll post what the characters say.

Lady Spinepunch: Could someone have destroyed the sword before us?
Valkarin: Unlikely.
Valkarin: Go inside, search for any sign that the sword is still here.
Lady Spinepunch: What about you, Master?
Valkarin: Do not question your elders, child - do as I say. Remember your training as an Inquisitor.
Lady Spinepunch: Yes, master - I will serve the Inquisition without question.
Valkarin: Religion is death.
Lady Spinepunch: And death to religion!

Looks like I judged too early. These folks are awesome! An Inquisition that kills religions is pretty win in my book.

And look, in all that time I spent writing this post the day turned into night! Looks like there is a day-night cycle in this game.

cap018oq8.jpg

As you can see, it's 3d models on a 2d background. It's windy, and an orchestra plays in the background.

I enter the monastery, and a guard attacks me. Left-click to move, right-click to attack. The guard doesn't stand a chance against Lady Spinepunch.

cap019pz4.jpg

Lady Spinepunch:
I should go back and inform Master Valkarin.

I pick up the Broadsword and the Wooden Buckler with a left-click of the mouse. The inventory screen doesn't look too complicated. And the weapon stats are your basic diablo fare.

cap021co5.jpg

Lady Spinepunch's health is at 40/100/100. I guess there are three levels of health then?

I accidentally quit and had to restart, pay no attention to the different level of health and time (now that I've pointed them out).

I run back to Valkarin to bring him the good news.

Lady Spinepunch: There's no sign of anyone alive.
Valkarin: I heard signs of conflict.
Lady Spinepunch: A looter. I eliminated him. You must have exceptional hearing.
Valkarin: Indeed, I have learned an Attunement which grants me that gift.*
Valkarin: A more thorough search of the interior may be required. Perhaps it is time for you to be initiated.
Lady Spinepunch: Master?

* Can't help but notice that they are trying to blend in information in the dialog that normally wouldn't be said, e.g. "You are an inquisitor, rite...", "After all, *I am* the President of the United States", etc.

cap028qi0.jpg

I pick speed.

Valkarin: Take this... While you hold an object of elemental essence in either hand, you will be attuned to that element.

Then he goes on about the Dream World, which you can enter and in there find ghost and the like. I can't stay in there forever though, I need to come back an relax for a while before re-entering.

Valkarin: Find the Overseer, and if he is dead, find his ghost in the Dreamworld. Report back what you find.

Chests are the standard fare aswell. And the currency in this world appears to be "Shekels".

cap038un2.jpg

I enter a Cathedral. It screams "DIABLO! DIAAAAABLOOO!"

cap039uf0.jpg

I guess that's the Overseer slumped on a table, dead. I hit D to enter Dreamworld.

cap040kh9.jpg

Dreamworld looks funky, and I'm attacked by creatures that look just like the Shadows from Torment. Anywho, I get my ass handed to me in Dreamworld, but luckily I quicksaved at the Cathedral.

Second time round I kill them all quickly and switfly. Receive a couple of Attunement points, a couple of experience points and a couple of Advancement points. Guess will learn more about those later.

cap041wg1.jpg

There's a book with a little bit of lore on the gameworld. Apparently a warlord Garul captured the Godslayer sword from some blokes who were the descendants of Arkor. He named himself God-Emperor Garul the First and named his lands Garulia (slightly pompous, if you ask me), but couldn't weild the sword. Nope, only descendants of Arkor can weild the sword. He locked the sword away so no one could use it.

Zomg, could Lady Spinepunch be a descendant of Arkor? Or is this game smart and is tricking me into believing so?

Till next time.

A user named cat

This game was alright for an unpolished Diablo clone with some creative twists. But the lack of a mini-map was bothersome in some areas and it starts getting boring further in, towns are also quite uninteresting so look forward to boredom. I remember running into some quest bugs too. Divine Divinity is still the best clone-like to come out, surprised there's no "let's play" thread for that game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks good. You inspired me to get that game, just because of the cool 2D graphics.
Keep this up, it's fun.

Kult is easily my favorite action/RPG of all time. It doesn't say much considering how crappy most of the games belonging to the genre are, but still. I'm actually looking forward to Reluctant Hero, the follow-up to Kult. Keep updates coming, Kingston.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Nox!

I only ever got to finish that game once and then I stopped playing it for a while and uninstalled it and lost my CD key. :( I still have all three discs, but I can't install it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shoelip said:
Nox!

I only ever got to finish that game once and then I stopped playing it for a while and uninstalled it and lost my CD key. :( I still have all three discs, but I can't install it.

Try some hacked serialz website to get another key?

Durwyn

Prophet
I managed to fuck the cd-key check in Nox. I just copied all the game files from the CDs and kaboom... it worked.

A user named cat

Binary said:
Phantasmal said:
Divine Divinity is still the best clone-like to come out
Nox ?
DD was leagues better than Nox to me. I don't think there's even a comparison, I couldn't even bring myself to finish Nox. When it comes to music (Kirill is fucking awesome), exploration and atmosphere, there hasn't been a Diablo clone to date that touches DD.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Phantasmal said:
This game was alright for an unpolished Diablo clone with some creative twists. But the lack of a mini-map was bothersome in some areas and it starts getting boring further in, towns are also quite uninteresting so look forward to boredom. I remember running into some quest bugs too. Divine Divinity is still the best clone-like to come out, surprised there's no "let's play" thread for that game.

A minip-map was added with the v1.5 patch.

Murk

Arcane
I second DD as best hack'n'slash diablo clone. Nox was fun for a more actiony romp if that's possible, and I liked it's weird angle.

Kult had a lot of charm, I guess I should reinstall it and retry it when I get some spare time.

A user named cat

Not to derail this topic into something else, but I found some footage of Larian's next-gen game. Not sure if it's going to be called Divine Divinity 2 or what, but it's no longer isometric unfortunately. Looks like another Gothic/Two Worlds clone and will be multi-platform so I wouldn't expect much depth. But who knows, combat looks decent and of course it's pretty.

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redactie/mediatheek/1.248366

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom