Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking - historical Viking RPG from Logic Artists

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://expeditionsseries.com/index.php/expeditions-viking/

https://af.gog.com/game/expeditions_viking?as=1649904300

Get ready for an adventure in history! Logic Artists, the makers of Expeditions: Conquistador, are pleased to bring you Expeditions: Viking.

Prepare for a grand adventure

As the newly appointed chieftain of a modest Viking clan, you’ll have a village of your very own. But to carve your name into the runestones of history you’ll need great strength, and great wealth to grow your village’s prosperity and renown. There is little left to be gained from the Norse lands and so you must set your sights on the the seas to the West, where tales speak of a great island filled with treasure ready for the taking.

Seek your fortune

Your trusted huscarls will follow you to Valhalla if that be the order of the day, but you’ll need more than loyalty to leave a legacy that will be remembered for a thousand years. Now assemble a worthy band of warriors, build a ship, and seek your wealth and glory across the sea. Britannia awaits in Logic Artists’ Expeditions: Viking.

Main features:
  • Create your very own Viking chieftain! Carve out your character from our unique character system, where stats, skills, and abilities define your character’s role.
  • Raiding or Trading? Vikings were known not only as violent warriors, but savvy tradesfolk. How will you find wealth, with the carrot or the stick?
  • War and Politics: Side with various factions be they Norsemen, Picts, or Angles.
  • Reputation: Be mindful of your choices, the stories of your actions may bring others to fear you, but will they trust you?
  • Step into the pages of history: In a beautiful and visceral telling of the Nordic history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Well, bugger. GOG released de Blob just fine a few moments ago. The game has since become my mortal enemy simply for not being Expeditions: Viking. There will be a blood eagle tonight.

Urbanolo

Augur
Shit, first screen after opening the game, creating PC and the character's father name is named <Player:Father>. I hope it's not completely bugridden :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, you can see right away that the game isn't super-polished. Why does adjusting the individual difficulty sliders also change the "Preset" slider above? It should change to "Custom" or something.

Also, it defaulted to Insane difficulty for me. Did it know I was a Codexer? :P Still, looks cool.

hivemind

is there a way to completely disable pointless stuff like foilage/weather by fucking around with some files?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The character stats don't really matter that much in this, a little but not much - not really worth worrying about. Skill builds are important for combat at the beginning though, at least on the harder difficulties.

I left my PC downloading the release version on Steam and left for work, but I don't have much free time these days so I'll probably be lagging behind everyone else.

Disgruntled

Savant
Can anyone tell me if there are single-handed spears in the game? So one can wield both shield and spear, or is all two-handers?

I jumped in with a 'hoplite' build but that might have been a mistake judging from all the two handers :|

Last edited:

hivemind

Skill builds are important for combat at the beginning though, at least on the harder difficulties.
what do you consider the beginning?

the combats in the prologue were all p easy on insane

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Skill builds are important for combat at the beginning though, at least on the harder difficulties.
what do you consider the beginning?

the combats in the prologue were all p easy on insane

Have you had any experience from beta with sword skills? Execute has a bit ambiguous wording "Marks the target for killing blow next turn, which will instantly dismember them if deals any damage".. So basically I have to mark in turn 1 and then land unblocked hit on the enemy in turn 2? Do I need to hit the fellow with the same character that did the marking?

hivemind

no I did't play the beta and I haven't yet used to execute skill

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
This subforum was a mistake, a normal thread on general RPG would get much more attention.
A mod should just move this thread to GRPGD and maybe move it back here after a few months. Or better yet let all release thread for games from hosted forums be in GRPGD (with links to the forum). The hosted forum can then be used for specific discussions/ developer interactions/ dev diaries.

As it stands, hosted forum seems to be rather counterproductive in generating hype.

Disgruntled

Savant
The lack of discussion is disheartening. Site seems more like Devdramacodex than rpgcodex sometimes.

On the game, i realised i didnt read the tooltips properly that spears are all two-handers :oops: so made a dual wielding axe berserker instead. The character building options are what impresses me the most so far about the game, I really like that there are many tangible skills, perks and upgrades to pick from instead of endless +3% stat fillers.

The most negative part so far is the poor visuals during battles. The combination of the camera angle and thin character/weapon models make it really hard to discern what each person's role is on the battlefield. Maybe its just the beginning where you are fighting villagers, but so far ive had to scroll over the details or squint to tell them apart.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Spears are really fun on your PC. You can then max dialogue skills (finesse,perception,sense) and invest in supporting skills AND still be useful from second line as they wreck people shit.

All of that for investing in one skill instead of ~2.

Radech

Augur
Spears are really fun on your PC. You can then max dialogue skills (finesse,perception,sense) and invest in supporting skills AND still be useful from second line as they wreck people shit.

All of that for investing in one skill instead of ~2.

Yup this is what I did as well - though I can't recall attacking with the spear since getting Inspire, considering dropping it for axe and shield though, just to tank up a bit no need to invest in damage when you have inspire, and shield dislodging is pretty usefull.

btw throwing is OP and funny as hell.

Jinn

Arcane
I posted my initial impressions in the news thread, but yeah, again, no one looks down in these sub-forums.

Jinn said:
Been playing this for a couple hours now and I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far! Great turn-based hex combat, lots of skills to choose from for both in and out of combat, skills and primary stats providing a fair amount of dialogue options, faction and reputation play, excellent presentation (music and art direction have been top-notch so far, though the UI could use a little work and I don't much care for in battle skill icon colors and designs), nice historical setting, and overall decent writing. Seems there may be a good amount of C&C at play here too, though I can't confidently say at this point.

As of right now, I would highly recommend checking this game out. Seems like incline to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom