Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #13: Welcome To The Pit

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship; Iron Tower Studio; Vince D. Weller

Now that he's done with Age of Decadence, Vault Dweller has returned to his monthly schedule of Colony Ship RPG development updates. The latest one is a hefty variety pack of an update introducing the Pit, the game's starter town which is designed to be more familiar to RPG players than some of the game's later areas. The update includes a bunch of snippets of text from the game's script with details about the Pit's characters and locations. It's also got some images of guns (because why not?) and more concept art. But I think the most welcome part will be the first look it offers at Colony Ship RPG's portraits, which are very much in the same style as Age of Decadence's. I can't possibly quote the entire thing here, so here's a very limited excerpt:

Introducing something new and different isn’t an easy task. A fantasy game like AoD offers many familiar concepts: a local lord in charge of a town, different guilds, rival Houses, traveling preachers, etc. None of it raises any questions or requires any lengthy explanations.

The Colony Ship Game is very different and there are a lot of questions that need to be answered and a lot of concepts that need to be explained without overwhelming the player with the new info. That’s one of the reasons you start the game in the Pit, the container town, instead of the much stranger Habitats. It offers some familiarity and gives you plenty of second-hand information from other people.

The Pit will give you two locations: the relatively safe "main street" and the not so safe “bad part of town”. Overall, it will give you more places of interest and things to do than Teron, including an arena that will allow you to test your character fairly early and figure out your limits.

Other notable locations include the Regulators, a local church, a whorehouse, a prison, a gambling den, various stores, and entire town "blocks" occupied by different crews of scavengers and other men of ill repute. They will provide you with some bits of common knowledge as well as quests properly introducing other locations.

So far we have 12 quests written and mapped out, including a 6-quest local conflict between the Regulators and the self-proclaimed mayor, aka Order that’s not all that great vs Chaos that’s not all that bad. The conflict fits perfectly well into the belief system I mentioned earlier and comes with long-term consequences you’ll be able to experience in-game (i.e. not in the slides).

So in one corner we have the challenger:

Rumor has it that Captain Braxton once served a higher power, that in the days before his crisis of faith and the subsequent falling out with the Church of the Elect he was known as Faithful Gunner Jeremiah Braxton. Speculation about why he left is abundant, but as is often the case no story is more compelling than the others.

Backed up by a few like-minded men and picking up more willing recruits along the way, Braxton left the Church behind and ended up in the Pit, a place where reliable fighting men are always in demand. Around the time of his arrival, the Brotherhood had started showing a keen interest in the Pit, eager to establish a foothold there. Braxton and his newly christened Regulators offered the good people of the Pit their services and after much debate they were hired to drive the Brotherhood’s men out, which was accomplished with brutal efficiency.
In the other corner we have the incumbent "mayor":

Wasteland is the affectionate name used to describe the now uncharted miles of scorched corridors and decks that bore the brunt of the fighting during the Mutiny. It is even rumored that the hull has been breached in certain sections, leaving them open to the void of space. This unstable no-man's-land is the principal hunting ground for folks willing to gamble their lives against the chance of finding old and outlawed tech.

For a scavenger, Jonas was more successful and more ambitious than most. One of the key difficulties for a professional scav is to extract your finds as quickly as possible, since anyone else stumbling across your good fortune will quickly try to make it their own. In order to facilitate more efficient runs into the Wasteland, Jonas set up a base camp in Cargo Hold #3, right next to the action. Such a good idea couldn't remain secret for long, and his fellow scavengers soon began pitching their tents nearby. With its increasing popularity, the camp attracted a growing crowd of traders, whores, and other hangers-on, and people began to see it as a rugged alternative to the Habitats, which promised safety, but insisted on submission in exchange.

At some point Jonas realized that more money was waiting to be made right there in the Pit, as it had come to be called, than out in the Wasteland. Thus he opened The Promised Land, the finest and only whorehouse in town. The success of this venture, and his own popularity, led to his role today as the de facto mayor of this frontier town.
In case you're wondering the goggles and other gear will be available to your character as well and the inventory will have special slots for goggles and breathing masks. In the next update we'll introduce gadgets and explains how they work.
Be sure to check out the full update. It's good enough to post three times.

Aenra

Haven't read the excerpts as i don't want any spoilers. Not for this game :)

Theoretically however, i do have to disagree. You should have us plunge straight into the deep end of it; half the joy, finding out what's what and why. Why oh why would you take that away from us.
We miss the days of manuals for a reason. It being that you needed them; without RTFMing, you were lost. A good thing that, feeling lost, made even the smallest things a goddamm victory.

I strongly urge the SA-Obersturmführer to execute a few more Jews and then calmly reconsider his actions.

Delbaeth

Learned
Gorgeous portraits as always.

Others should take inspiration (especially those who released a few recently...)

The portraits are not bad but they could be significantly improved with better lighting. In their current state they look too clean.

Archibald

Arcane
I don't understand how VD being third rate indie developer can manage to get such high quality incline portraits while even big studios have shitty portraits, if they have them in the first place.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Gorgeous portraits as always.

Others should take inspiration (especially those who released a few recently...)
Cannot do that. As you can see they are what you would hardly call inclusive. The days of non-inclusive games have passed long ago.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Q70QpN2.jpg

UnknownBro

Savant
You know, that is probably the most popular (or most used) portrait from Age of Decadence, probably because the character is quite memorable but I think it's also because of the vivid expression of the portrait. You look at that face and you know you're gonna get fucked... that smile.

Maybe is the setting but most of the faces in AoD are kind of expressionless. The art style is impecable though.

What I'm trying to say is, keep the artstyle but every character shouldn't be an emotionless stoic robot!

Just an opinion.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
As noted AoD-style portraits will work just fine for this game but do add some variety of expressions. It's what gives it soul.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I don't understand how VD being third rate indie developer can manage to get such high quality incline portraits while even big studios have shitty portraits, if they have them in the first place.

No chain of Executive Producers & Producers saying you only have X dollars and time for a portrait budget

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

No chain of Executive Producers & Producers saying you only have X dollars and time for a portrait budget
Plus no millennial ex art students more worried about their work ''inclusiveness'' than quality.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The first portrait looks rather weird, maybe it's because it's way too symmetrical, or maybe it's the faggot ass knight templar tattoo on his forehead. Is he a crazy fundie ax murderer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom