Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to inXile Entertainment

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Agreed. Remember her posting around SoZ time frame and she seemed as sane as the rest of us... which may admittedly be damning her with faint praise.

She was always obnoxiously loud. Her opinions changed.

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
Brian: I wouldn't say we decided to be so wordy but that it became so wordy because they were trying to express all the subtlety and so on.

George: Part of it was due to the excitement of reproducing the Planescape: Torment experience, where there is a lot of wordiness. I remember early on, even on the Codex, I remember there being a lot of excitement: "walls of text! walls of text! we want walls of text!"

Turns out the Codex didn't want walls of text.

Brian: There appears to be a lesson here.

so its the codex's fault... good to know

is it also their fault that the writing is relentlessly sophomoric psuedo-intellectual drivel?

Axie

Scholar
In good films with proper directing, the author(s) knows why exactly he wanted the actor in scene 23 to blink twice, turn to left and why that music had to start the second a balloon flies over the actor's head. It was his vision and film either succeed or failed. This guys don't know why the artwork is this not that. "It wasn't on the level we wanted" — you should have asked them "what level", I'm sure they have no idea.

This guys only know to make expensive lemonades. Ones you are not sure are they with sugar or not. They function on principle "we didn't have enough time to write a short story so we wrote war-and-peace-like novel" (wonder if that saying translates well). Let's have 323 writers, it sounds cool. And let's pile word count like there is no tomorrow, it will make quality. Like those monkeys with pens and Shakespeare.

Either small team or big team with proper author-despot. Otherwise better read books and watch movies, not lose time on games coming from California 2000s. It's the land of Singularity-gospel, fake teeth'n'tits and social apps... Why expect art to live there anymore

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
What is uncool is not holding people accountable for their selfish and immature behavior. He is an employee, he is the main responsible for this mess, etc. Fuck you and your indulgent leftist logic.

Making someone do an interview they don't want to do is a really fucking petty way of holding them accountable. It's also bad for business since most likely he'll come across poorly, and thereby reflect badly on the company.
No. That's because he had to show his ego. You want me to do an interview, fine! But I wont answer any questions!

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Making someone do an interview they don't want to do is a really fucking petty way of holding them accountable. It's also bad for business since most likely he'll come across poorly, and thereby reflect badly on the company.

Of course, following this line of reasoning kids would never need to go to school because they don’t want to, and society would fall apart. Don’t change the focus. You should criticize Colin for being so immature, not Fargo for doing what is expected from him and his team. An apology interview without the creative lead would be pointless, if not insulting.

That's not the way things go in business. Any good boss and team leader knows that you shouldn't force the shy, uncomfortable introvert to give out interviews against their will.

So while I do find Colin's answers (and especially his unwillingness to face some cold, hard facts about T:ToN's many failures) and attitude both interesting and telling of the overall lack of structure and focus in T:ToN's development - he probably did more harm than good with his presence and answers in this interview. Another blunder and miscalculation on Fargo's part.
If he can't fucking talk in front of people how FFS can he be a lead in the fucking game? Or be a top manager if he likes to hide under the table?

But his problem is his EGO and desire not to answer questions.

Sizzle

Arcane
If he can't fucking talk in front of people how FFS can he be a lead in the fucking game? Or be a top manager if he likes to hide under the table?

Not to defend him, but public speaking and team management are different skills.

Ego's one thing. What he is, is completely deluded. Take this excerpt:

Colin McComb said:
The people who are open to enjoying this game are enjoying the hell out of it. There's a reason the professional reviews are just ecstatic. I saw some guy claiming today: I started playing Planescape: Torment again and I have to admit I'd rather be playing Torment: Tides of Numenera right now. This is a subjective thing, people enjoy the things they like and there's no accounting for taste.

This is just... wrong on every conceivable level. It's even worse than Tim Schafer's "You're playing it wrong." comment regarding Broken Age.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Not to defend him, but public speaking and team management are different skills.

Ego's one thing. What he is, is completely deluded. Take this excerpt:

Colin McComb said:
The people who are open to enjoying this game are enjoying the hell out of it. There's a reason the professional reviews are just ecstatic. I saw some guy claiming today: I started playing Planescape: Torment again and I have to admit I'd rather be playing Torment: Tides of Numenera right now. This is a subjective thing, people enjoy the things they like and there's no accounting for taste.

This is just... wrong on every conceivable level. It's even worse than Tim Schafer's "You're playing it wrong." comment regarding Broken Age.
No they are not different skills, because you have to speak to groups of people constantly. Besides there was one interviewer...

No that's Trump level EGO. I am the bestest creative person in the room and Numaderpa did bigly! The sales were the greatest ever! People are calling me by the phone and saying that Numaderpa is Yuge and they are having a great time. Haters gonna hate. It's the crooked codex! Sad!

Tigranes

Arcane
They are different skills, as is well known by anyone who's done them.

It's funny how everybody's in agreement that Colin's not seeing the light but you insist on your own random theory that IT MUST BE HIS EGO I HATE HIM SO MUCH.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Granted he was passive aggressive in both.

He was always like this. Do you guys remember this?

4 years later, I finally get to fucking gloat.

Time for a trip down memory lane with ol' uncle Harold. Hands inside the vehicle at all times, kids.

Upon chancing on an article detailing McComb's work on PST, Harold expresses some concern.

Having been summoned by the local newsjew, mr. McCuck provides this excellent rebuttal, wherein one can already discern his writerly talent and his perchant for being a giant nu-male faggot.

Being the gentleman he is, Harold attempts to assuage the Shillarytard's fears, whilst also drawing his attention towards his hurting butt.

Harold's response is met with a prompt 'no u' from the fearless twitter warrior.

Little did I know at the time that McCuck's butthurt was so great, he actually put a giant butthole in the game that you had to sensually massage to relieve his pain. For what it's worth, bros, I'm sorry for my part in making you go through that in 2rment.

At last, 4 fucking years later, I get to both "crow all over the internet about how foresighted" I was and "dig up my old rant" so I can FINALLY GET. MY. FUCKING. WELL-DESERVED. INTERNET MEDAL!

He was always arrogant. I think this makes sense, since SJWs tend to have a dismissive and condescending view about their target audience, with the "gamers are white males misogynists" narrative.
Well yes and no.

Upon doing careful analysis I found that SJWs are the same unfulfilled red necks, but they found a method by trial and error how to avoid being criticized back and to avoid any conversations. They choose subjects which are perceived to stand on a higher moral ground in a society. Hence, you can't criticize minorities, fat people, women or anyone openly anymore, because you will be eaten alive if you do it publicly.

However, the methods used by SJWs are exactly the same as soviets, nazis (which they claim to hate) and other killing regimes. That's intimidation and violence. Every SJW was proud when some guy publicly knocked out a racist during a rallying and cucks applauded it. Fuck free speech, the law, the first amendment and fuck freedom of opinion. It's all irrelevant if it goes against SJW agenda.

That retarded Manveer Heer or however that dumb fuck was called, was given a managing position at bioware despite being unqualified and from third world, still did everything he could to preach about white supremacy and how he hates white people despite living in their country... But you can't argue with that dumb fuck in public? Can you?

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

It's funny how everybody's in agreement that Colin's not seeing the light but you insist on your own random theory that IT MUST BE HIS EGO I HATE HIM SO MUCH.
I don't care about lemmings, sorry.

You can't fucking manage people if you are afraid speaking to them or can't speak to a few of them at once FFS.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Managing subordinates is a different skill than teaching is a different skill than being interesting/charming/convincing in front of a room full of people. They are only superficially similar in that they involve communicating with others.

I doubt McComb was afraid to do the interview so much as he didn't want to do it. If it were my decision, I wouldn't have made him do it as having him there didn't real serve Fargo's purpose much.

Sizzle

Arcane

I don't care about lemmings, sorry.

You can't fucking manage people if you are afraid speaking to them or can't speak to a few of them at once FFS.

Once again - there's a big difference in speaking in front of a crowd of strangers or giving an interview, and talking with your colleagues.

I work with some people who are exceptional bosses - they know how to organize time, appreciate their underlings and know what their strengths and weaknesses are. Yet, when it comes to giving monthly review analysis speeches to the entire company, they're always very nervous and uncomfortable doing it.

I doubt McComb was afraid to do the interview so much as he didn't want to do it. If it were my decision, I wouldn't have made him do it as having him there didn't real serve Fargo's purpose much.

It's possible Fargo didn't know Colin would behave like an uncooperative butthurt prick, but that's just one more reason to believe that his blatant unprofessionalism is a big part of why T:ToN turned out like it did.

Saduj

Arcane
It's possible Fargo didn't know Colin would behave like an uncooperative butthurt prick, but that's just one more reason to believe that his blatant unprofessionalism is a big part of why T:ToN turned out like it did.

Yes, but I'm much smarter because I have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
No they are not different skills, because you have to speak to groups of people constantly.

Jesus fuck you're a nitwit. But then somebody who takes Myers-Briggs personality types seriously enough to put them in his tagline is one by definition.
Why do you care? If I would write Fag in my tag line would you also care and write about it?

You have something relevant to say or you want to discuss proper etiquette of tag lines?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No they are not different skills, because you have to speak to groups of people constantly.

Jesus fuck you're a nitwit. But then somebody who takes Myers-Briggs personality types seriously enough to put them in his tagline is one by definition.
Why do you care? If I would write Fag in my tag line would you also care and write about it?

You have something relevant to say or you want to discuss proper etiquette of tag lines?
I think he was trying to insinuate that you already have such a tagline. Or in your case, fagline.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

I think he was trying to insinuate that you already have such a tagline. Or in your case, fagline.
m4yj0.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
In good films with proper directing, the author(s) knows why exactly he wanted the actor in scene 23 to blink twice, turn to left and why that music had to start the second a balloon flies over the actor's head. It was his vision and film either succeed or failed. This guys don't know why the artwork is this not that. "It wasn't on the level we wanted" — you should have asked them "what level", I'm sure they have no idea.

This guys only know to make expensive lemonades. Ones you are not sure are they with sugar or not. They function on principle "we didn't have enough time to write a short story so we wrote war-and-peace-like novel" (wonder if that saying translates well). Let's have 323 writers, it sounds cool. And let's pile word count like there is no tomorrow, it will make quality. Like those monkeys with pens and Shakespeare.

Either small team or big team with proper author-despot. Otherwise better read books and watch movies, not lose time on games coming from California 2000s. It's the land of Singularity-gospel, fake teeth'n'tits and social apps... Why expect art to live there anymore

I know some will consider my post weebish but I do stand by this. Art - let's not go into the games - art or not? - debate and use the word art here to mean artistic merit - requires things to have some kind of cohesion. You need to get the feeling that you're seeing the artist's vision come to life.
Now what I'm trying to say is this: Western games would benefit tremendously from the kind of obsessive auteur culture that is at work in movies by Tarkovsky and Kubrick or games like NieR and Metal Gear Solid or TV shows like Twin Peaks and Neon Genesis Evangelion. All these products, even if made by a large team, carry an unmistakable identity, a signature and leading vision as dictated by the head artist at work.

That's partially why I believe Kotor 2, Torment, MotB were good: their tone is coherent and they follow the vision of their lead writers.

We need more auteurs!

Jason

chasing a bee
Boycotting reading the interview (although I'm sure Infinitron did an outstanding job) considering:
1. I wasn't asked even though I live about 30 minutes from inXile.
2. Infinitron didn't at least offer to pick me up and take me along for the visit. I would've been on my best behavior (no mescaline, just some lighter tryptamines, no firearms of any kind).

Is common courtesy a thing of the past?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I live about 30 minutes from inXile.

So you could, hypothetically, go back to ask followup questions? You wouldn't even need to make an appointment with such a short travel time.
:philosoraptor:

Edit:

Infinitron didn't at least offer to pick me up and take me along for the visit

Did you just out Infinitron as our mystery interviewer?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What? No.

Out of touch ex-staff member is out of touch. Last I heard Jason was from New Zealand or something.

Jason

chasing a bee
My old buddy Shagnak is from New Zealand. I was born and bred in Southern Cali. Can't argue with being out of touch with the goings on around here and the gaming world. The newest games I've played have been Fallout 4 and Wasteland 2. As far as being out of touch in the sense of not being to contact me, just send a pm. DU, Tal, and Trash also had one or two of my email addresses as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom