Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STRAFE® - fast-paced, gib-fest FPS with procedural generation, 1996©

Roderick

Savant
I thought it would work fine on my laptop but it works like shit, unplayable framerate. I have Intel Hd graphics (integrated) but thought it would work ok... but nop

Roderick

Savant
I thought it would work fine on my laptop but it works like shit, unplayable framerate. I have Intel Hd graphics (integrated) but thought it would work ok... but nop

games with more advanced graphics have worked semi acceptally

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
You know the game is shit when GGGManLives hates it while giving actual legit reasons as to why it sucks (unlike most of his recent reviews).

Severian Silk

I appreciate that the devs made this game. Now we have something to point to when someone asks what a shooter with procedural level generation is like. It serves a good purpose.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, he at least revised his review once he actually spent some time with the game (whereas original review was churned out as fast as possible, for teh maximum views). Bunch of other 'tubers would never do that.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Prey and a few other games as well. His arguments for not liking Prey in particular were very bizarre and he bitches far too much about difficulty these days. For instance he never tried to learn how DESYNC's relatively simple mechanics work and complained about the game being too hard. I just think he plays new games too fast to release his reviews as soon as possible, tainting his otherwise good judgment (though I tend to disagree with him on certain things).

Icymad

Novice
This game screams creative bankrupcy, makes me remember the failed Romero kickstarter "old-skool Rpg". derivative name(strafe), uncreative setting, boring randomization and enemies and 1996 low-poly graphics emulation that no one feels nostalgia for.

Old-school fps is an oversaturated market anyway (with free content no less) and if you think that ain't true, them you are the target demo for this game(i.e clueless).

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Old-school fps is an oversaturated market anyway (with free content no less) and if you think that ain't true, them you are the target demo for this game(i.e clueless).
A modern FPS built with whe same principles as games from the 1990s would be great. Someonw should do that. Instead of some random generated hipsteroid shit.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Why is the muzzle flash of the mgun so large and pixelated? It partially blocks the view of what you're shooting at, and on top of that the crosshair is white and can be impossible to see due to explosions, muzzle flash etc.
Shit design, and many old games either had smaller muzzle flashes or none and just a lighting effect in your area. Plus more sensible crosshair colors.

Just more poor design... The enemies also don't seem to be designed around the weapons and player mobility or something.

Boleskine

Arcane
The worst thing I've gathered from gameplay videos is the enemies just rush toward you like in Serious Sam. Enemies in Doom, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D often kept their distance and attacked you in different ways, which allowed you to move around between enemies more fluidly. In STRAFE it looks like you just end up backpedaling every time a new group of enemies starts running toward you.

Tehdagah

Arcane
All the monsters I've seen so far just run towards you like braindead morons, even the ones with ranged attacks. They take zero advantage of the environment like height differences or interconnection, which is a result of both their bad AI and the bad level design.
The game is based on old-school shooters.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
All the monsters I've seen so far just run towards you like braindead morons, even the ones with ranged attacks. They take zero advantage of the environment like height differences or interconnection, which is a result of both their bad AI and the bad level design.
So they kept shitty features from old games but ditched the good features(like interesting level design) - lol. It's not true though because enemies in older shooters didnt behave like this(running towards the player en masse), there was a variety of guys with different attacks, the placement of enemies was also thought out. Looks like Strafe devs made a game inferior to the stuff they are supposedly inspired by. And it doesnt even appear as a falied attempt - they intentionally made a shitty game xd
On top of that, from what I heard the game is bugged and seems like a beta version. They couldn't even get something as basic as 90s aesthetics for their supposed nostalgia game - nice icing on the cake. Massive fuck up. Best game of 1996 my ass.

BTW fuck procedural level design and it's autistic enablers xD

Last edited:

Severian Silk

If you want to play an old-school FPS, there are plenty of Doom and Quake WADs to play.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer

Old-school shooters from Quake onwards have far better AI than this, especially Unreal and Half-Life.

Icymad

Novice
A modern FPS built with whe same principles as games from the 1990s would be great. Someonw should do that. Instead of some random generated hipsteroid shit.
New Doom not good enough? them there is Brutal Doom or Quake 1 or 2 with a modern engine like Darkplace+high textures, thousands of wads etc,etc and yet old skool fans will find something to bitch about, it's just that hardcore posers are too busy refreshing forums and posting their vomit to find and play good games.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They couldn't even get something as basic as 90s aesthetics for their supposed nostalgia game - nice icing on the cake.
I guess it's not really that basic considering there are literally dozens (often relatively high budget) games marketed as nostalgia throwbacks and pretty much all of them completely fail on the aesthetic front.

The underlying design concepts for this game seem to be really retarded though. Here's a "1996" old school shooter. It also has procedural generated levels and roguelite randomization. Wat.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I guess it's not really that basic considering there are literally dozens (often relatively high budget) games marketed as nostalgia throwbacks and pretty much all of them completely fail on the aesthetic front.

I think it's more straightforward and less tricky to do compared to designing levels, enemies, getting the right "feel" for weapons etc - making all the stuff work together so the game is fun and satisfying in a similar way these older games were.
It's really funny how they market this game as something "from 1996" and it doesn't even superficially resemble the style from 1990s. It's completely off the mark, everything - the music sounds like some faux 80s modern hipster stuff (90s music had a very different sound), the style of graphics looks kind of "childish" and goofy despite the violence (contrast this with grimdarkness and/or edgy humour that was IN back then), the sound effects are kind of weak and not "meaty" enough (compare this to quake xd). Even the whole "retro" pixelated low poly look doesnt look authentic and resembles minecraft...like they weren't even trying.

lightbane

Arcane
So, the shit thing that was predicted to be utter shit turned out to be as bad as it seemed. Who knew. Just to know: Does it have reflective surfaces and mirrors at least? That's a technology already available in 1996 that many modern games lack.

EDIT: *Watches video*

Oh my god, it looks even worse than I thought! Also, some things no-one bothered to comment here: Shitty graphics don't let you see what exactly is going on, even shittier "YOU ARE WOUNDED!" red splatter on the screen that plagues every modern game and, lastly but not least, RELOADING!! One that also makes you lose ammo that was remaining on the removed clip, if that wasn't enough/because "rehlism".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom