Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Hill 5

• Thread starter A user named cat
  • Start date

Callaxes

Arbiter
I didn't go through the whole thread, but I have 1 question: How's the movie?

Starwars

Arcane
Yep. Excellent visuals, pretty crappy plot (reminiscant of the first game with quite a few changes) and acting that ranges from OK to shitty.
I thought it was worth watching though, since the visual design is such an important thing for Silent Hill. It's probably my favourite game-gone-liveaction-movie so far from what I remember.

A user named cat

Watched it again the other night and still really enjoyed it, despite the female cop being such a waste of space. The other flaws have been pointed already but it still "gets it". Uwe Boll could learn a thing or two.

The woman who played Dhalia sounded so familiar too, could've sworn I'd heard her in some Black Isle RPG before. Very distinct voice.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Does anyone know why they decided to us an outside developer? Was it to put fresh air into the franchise or did the old team disband or something?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Starwars said:
Yep. Excellent visuals, pretty crappy plot (reminiscant of the first game with quite a few changes) and acting that ranges from OK to shitty.
I thought it was worth watching though, since the visual design is such an important thing for Silent Hill. It's probably my favourite game-gone-liveaction-movie so far from what I remember.

Given that "ranges from OK to shitty" describes the voice-acting in the SH games, I almost wonder if that's intentional. But naaah. Although, yes, definitely the best game-to-movie transition that I've seen, though that doesn't say much.

JoeDirt

Scholar
poopa, declining sales and such made konami "get rid" of the brand, and they were going to cancel the series until a combination of the american devs making a strong pitch for it and akira yamaoka's pleas for the franchise helped keep the franchise alive.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The SH series' sales have been declining? Well, I guess that's no surprise, since it's always been something of a cult franchise as opposed to the more commercially successful RE. How unfortunate.

A user named cat

I read somewhere that Team Silent aren't exactly disbanded either, they're just working in other departments of Konami for now. So they might still make another title down the line.

A user named cat

Now that it's been a couple months, quite a bit of footage has been released including the full game intro and plenty of gameplay. Looks a little too consolized but that's to be expected nowadays, at least the voice acting has been majorly improved. Just hoping it'll reach the PC, looks good to me and have been itching for a game like this for ages. Anyway, check it out if anyone is still interested in this.

Preview footage - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/235689.html

Intro + gameplay - http://gamersyde.com/news_6697_en.html

A user named cat

Well it appears as if they fucked it up as most predicted. They did the obvious Hollywood/America raping by making it a console-esque action game including collectibles -- complete with no scares or actual survival horror. Already been reviewed.

IGN review

So it sounds as if the only things they did right were the music and movie inspired transactions to the nightmare world. Oh well, might still give it a try someday if it comes out for PC.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dang. Silent Hill was one of the few scary horror games (though it had the flaw of including weapons, which only System Shock 2 did right).

*still hoping for another Dark Corners of the Earth type of game without any weapons*

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Phantasmal said:
So it sounds as if the only things they did right were the music and

Yes, the music is freaking superb, as always! When all else fails, you can rely on SH music to be good. Even the shittastic SH: Origins gets this right.

I'll just ignore everything else. Still haven't finished SH4 here.

A user named cat

Don't worry, I never finished SH4 either. There's a speedrun of it somewhere on Youtube I think if you want to see the end.

Have you already tried this one then? I'm wondering if it's as bland as the review makes it out to be. Aside from the flaws mentioned, something that makes it sound annoying is the overusage of darkness and only seeing 2 inches in front of you. Such a cheap tactic for scares. In the other SH games, even when it was dark your flashlight at least illuminated well enough to admire the creepy environments and let you see where you're going.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One of the great things about Dark Corners of the Earth was the chases. The constant hurry without being able to look behind you to whatever it was that made those terrifying sounds, always looking for the next route and the lunatic music made those perfect.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Basically Silent Hill is all about the first 2 games , with the first being the best survival horror game ever.
I agree with this, it would be badass if they had remade the original a la the RE games.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
I thought SH3 was pretty good aswell to be honest.

And yeah I'm gutted about Homecoming. I was really hoping that it was going to be good. Looks like Dead Space will have to take its place as my survival horror purchase this year...

A user named cat

Not sure how people enjoyed SH3, to be honest. Obviously it was better than 4 and had the crazy shit going for it -- but it was just too in your face. They ruined the scares and fear factor by shoving way too many monsters in front of you. It didn't help when you had to backtrack quite a bit and put up with the annoyingly loud encounter music. You could just tell the series was going downhill from there on, I guess they wanted to get Resident Evil sales or something.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Kaiserin said:
Basically Silent Hill is all about the first 2 games , with the first being the best survival horror game ever.
I agree with this, it would be badass if they had remade the original a la the RE games.
:!:
Phantasmal said:
Not sure how people enjoyed SH3, to be honest. Obviously it was better than 4 and had the crazy shit going for it -- but it was just too in your face. They ruined the scares and fear factor by shoving way too many monsters in front of you. It didn't help when you had to backtrack quite a bit and put up with the annoyingly loud encounter music. You could just tell the series was going downhill from there on, I guess they wanted to get Resident Evil sales or something.
To me the fourth was far better than the third, the third was just a cheap recycle of the previous games.

A user named cat

Kz3r0 said:
To me the fourth was far better than the third, the third was just a cheap recycle of the previous games.
In theory the 4th was better, but I wouldn't agree with the execution. It had way too many nuissances that dragged it down. Lack of inventory space, constant backtracking, save system, god-mode ghosts, etc. Like people have said since it came out, the concept behind it was both original and very intriguing. But it shot itself in the foot with bad design, from all things mentioned down to too much combat and not much atmopshere. You can't have an SH game with nothing remotely scary either, even SH3 had its moments of 'holy shit this is nuts'.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I rather liked SH3. Not as much as SH2, naturally, but it has its moments. There was this part where you see Valtiel turning a wheel, and two pairs of female legs kicking from under a red drape--things like that, striking images that may or may not mean anything.

And oh god, the ghosts in SH4. Full of DO NOT WANT.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
In theory the 4th was better, but I wouldn't agree with the execution. It had way too many nuissances that dragged it down. Lack of inventory space, constant backtracking, save system, god-mode ghosts, etc. Like people have said since it came out, the concept behind it was both original and very intriguing. But it shot itself in the foot with bad design, from all things mentioned down to too much combat and not much atmopshere. You can't have an SH game with nothing remotely scary either, even SH3 had its moments of 'holy shit this is nuts'.
My exact thought, but the third left me with a sense of disappointment.
Probably I had less expectations when I played the 4th, that I consider a better game overall, Silent-Hill-esquiness apart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom