Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

The Red Knight

Erudite
Neither of those merchants will buy them.
Okay, found the solution:
The game no longer crashes if you try to sell items to a wandering merchant. The merchants buy items of any type, albeit at a somewhat low price. These encounters can be a good chance to sell items like crowns which are difficult to sell to normal shopkeepers.
Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/helherron/comments/69y3sj/helherron_2103_available/
Didn't know this.. :?
I also haven't found a place to sell crowns to yet and wandering merchants don't seem to accept them, though I wonder if there's some requirement to have a high enough trading skill to "unlock" the loweset selling value first (my highest trading is 111 at the moment).

Also read somewhere that you're supposed to be able to sell rings to the magic items merchant in the starting town, but no one there accepts them. Wandering merchants do accept rings though so maybe this option was removed because of balance issues (I once started with a -1 ring worth 1500).

Japanese wiki mentions that "Hakkes Store" either southwest of or in the southwestern corner of Anhsirk (google translate was vague) buys everything.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hello again.

Is there a handy Manual PDF that describes some stuff like combat mechanics, status effects and such?

mercyRPG

Cipher
Hello again.

Is there a handy Manual PDF that describes some stuff like combat mechanics, status effects and such?
Major Thanks for the Awesome Player, who assembled this most professional HELP (Created from Josh's Helherron page). For the old Linux version, but still relevant and the whole map with dungeons is working, just click on it, then hover your mouse over points and bright white dots = stairs and click --> to take you further!

If someone is proficient with HTML, please include this post from the developer, Antii, about

Mind Penetration:

The lackluster Helherron help pages say that this skill makes it more difficult for your enemies to resist magic spells. This is true, but exactly how much?

Here's the math.

If R is your opponent's "Resist Magic" (between 0 and 1 so that 100% corresponds to 1) and S is your spell caster's Mind Penetration skill, then the final probability to resist the magic attack is

P = R1 + S/170.

So suppose your opponents "Resist Magic" is 50% and your mind penetration is 170. Then the probability that your spell fails to succeed is only 0.51 + 170/170 = 0.52 = 0.25.

A lava man in the final hell stages has magic resistance of 70%. Trying to Charm one with these odds sounds like a waste of mana, but let's say your MP skill is 300 (which is possible at the final stage). The chance to resist now becomes

0.71 + 350/170 = 0.34,

making the lava men very vulnerable to magic attacks.

Next version 2.10 comes with "of mentalism" ring/amulet modifier and unique artifacts with bonuses to this important skill. There's also a new herb which gives temporary boost.

EDIT: take the magic number 170 with a grain of salt. Game balancing is a never-ending process so it may change in any update.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Hrmm. Thanks -
But, a few more things:

- Is there a description of the status effects somewhere?
- How does the zone of control works?
- What causes knockback?
- What're these squares that sometime appear below the character icons in combat?

Gunnar

Arbiter
- What causes knockback?
- What're these squares that sometime appear below the character icons in combat?

I don't have any information other than what I learned playing the game, but I can tell you this:

yellow - injured
red - bleeding
purple - confused
blue - charmed
green - poisoned
grey - stunned

Knockback seems to have a better chance to happen when a big and strong enemy hits a smaller, weaker enemy. When an enemy gets knocked back, it can collide with another creature and cause damage to them.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Now what would count as big\small, strong\weak.. Is it stat based or is it static when considering competing entities... Hmm..

mercyRPG

Cipher
Hrmm. Thanks -
But, a few more things:

- What causes knockback?
In the help you find all status effects in color, just click on the bottom buttons.

The Red Knight

Erudite
This page can be google-translated to get some rough idea about them (some values might have changed). Spell effects are briefly explained in spell descriptions too.
Reduces your movement points to 1 if adjacent to an enemy (no idea if haste affects the amount of points left, but 2-4 points always drop to 1). Enemies unable to act (like stunned) don't have ZoC. Stealth skill gives a chance of not losing movement points that way. Each move through ZoC is a separate stealth check. There doesn't seem to be any counter-stealth skill. Semi-related, [g]uard makes the character attack the first enemy that enters their ZoC (one enemy can trigger guard strikes from multiple characters). If the enemy hit that way isn't killed outright, they'll proceed to finish their turn with whatever movement points they have left (so either attack normally or attempt to move closer again if knocked back).
Now what would count as big\small, strong\weak.. Is it stat based or is it static when considering competing entities... Hmm..
Just my personal experience:
Small strong party members seem to perform similar to normal-sized ones of the same strength. Different weapons (like dagger vs battleaxe, unarmed golems) seem to affect the knockback chance and distance - if not based on weapon type then maybe on damage dealt (the latter would go along with the knockback chance not being a binary always/never).
More durable and/or hard-hitting enemies are less likely to be knocked back (goblin warriors and leaders vs archers, shamans and normal goblins). There's this too:
akuukka on reddit said:
Internally, all enemies and NPCs are now just as complex character entities as your player characters. In the older versions they used to be much more simple things (with simple properties like damage, change to hit, health). This means, for instance, that if your enemies happen to fight using special weapons like "Long bow of charm", you will feel the effect. Some enemies do occasionally wield random weapons which will be part of the loot of course, and they will affect the combat.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Gee, that Japanese page is really in-depth. And the translation works well too, which is great.
Someone should just make an English version and be done with it.

By the way- there seems to be a bug, the "Move without changing the facing" command just doesn't work. The facing still changes, even if I use it.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Colored status effects = just press X, if you see any on your character. You can read the meaning in same color on your character page.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I was wondering more about what each status meant - but the Japanese page took care of that pretty well.

mercyRPG

Cipher
I just sold a crown to Bombay the Alchemist in the main city - Galatako Castle. Bombay buys cursed items too, like Necklace of Enfeeblement.

TIP:
"This spell is too difficult for your character" - when you see this buy lots of Elixir of Learning and drink it with your character, until he / she will be able to learn the spell.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
From my experience, learning does nothing for spells. Only magic or prayer skill helps.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Is there a use for unholy items?

akuukka, lava on he'll doesn't do damage. I'm skipping most of the map since I don't have to follow land massed.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I just managed to beat the Goblin King!

All I have to say is.. FUCK HOBBITS, TREACHEROUS FLIPPING FUCKS

I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO SAVE THE GAME

mercyRPG

Cipher
WOW! Treasure vault in the beginning city - Odreworld - was seriously worth it. I probably don't remember the loot being this good: I only could take out half the vault, the right side is still guarded. But I got heaps of money and all the guard's amazing equipment. Super powerful swords, shields, amulets, rings, gauntlets, full plate mails and I sold some and got 90K gold. Uhh.. All those vault-breaker scrolls of Blizzard, -summon Golem, -summon demon, -summon Nyocym, -mass haemophilia and -blood boil, Wand of Inferno was totally worth it! :D

Jack Dandy

Arcane
This game is dangerously addictive..

By the way, I remember talk going about Helherron 2. (About 5 years ago) how goes it's development?

2 extra questions, btw:

I've just installed version 2.103.
- Is it okay if I transfer saves from 2.102 to it?

- In 2.103, the numpad Enter key still doesn't work on the Tactics screen.

EDIT: AAAAH FUCKING GODDAMN BUG MADE A DEAD GUY'S THING'S DISAPPEAR AGAIN

HJOW DO I AVOID THAT

I PICKED HIS SHIT UP AND IT'S GONE

PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter

HJOW DO I AVOID THAT

PLEASE HELP

The same thing happened to me a few posts back. In my case the items were gone. You should save before battles and if that happens, re-load.

I made a silver weapon of stunning at the artificer. Anyone have ideas for better weapon combos? I'm not sure what the different materials do.

mercyRPG

Cipher

HJOW DO I AVOID THAT

PLEASE HELP

The same thing happened to me a few posts back. In my case the items were gone. You should save before battles and if that happens, re-load.

I made a silver weapon of stunning at the artificer. Anyone have ideas for better weapon combos? I'm not sure what the different materials do.

In the Help file I linked a few posts back, if you click on weapons:

Weapon Modifiers
Modifier Bonus Other Bonus
Rusty -2
Sapphire -2
Emerald -1 Double damage against ethereal creatures.
Orcish -1
Ruby -1
Diamond 0
Gold 0
Huge 0 Heavy. Throws target back.
Obsidian 0 Resist all: +10%
Weightless 0 Weightless
Elven +1 Light weight. Greater range.
Iron +1 Heavy
Silver +1 Double damage against the undead.
Strong +1 Heavy. Throws target back.
Dwarven +2
Gnomish +2
Mithril +2 Throws target back.
Eternium +3
Dragonscale +5
Reinforced +5
Holy *2+8 Light weight. Double damage against demons and the undead. Throws target back. (Damage is the base damage value * 2 + 8, so a Sabre would have a damage value of 18 = (5*2) + 8. Throw damage is +3 and range is +3.)
Godly *4+32 Light weight. Double damage against demons and the undead. Throws target back. (Damage is the base damage value x 4 + 32, so a Sabre would have a damage value of 52 = (5*4) + 32. Throw damage is +8 and range is +10.) (VERY RARE!)

mercyRPG

Cipher
MOVEMENT POINTS BUGGED

I enchanted rings of quickness for my halfling archer so he has 18 movement points and still can only shoot once per turn.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
And another Q for me?
About Rings of Duration..

Does the Caster have to wear these, or the castee?
I tried casting Magic Armor in both methods, and the spell duration seems to be similar, not doubled... Bugged?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I did it! I defeated the guards in the starting town!

My method: I used create wall to make a barrier so they couldn't attack my party. When one of the sections decayed I used a golem wand to make a golem stand in front of that spot. A single guard would then come forward and I beat on him with the golem and the rest of my fighters. Meanwhile, I used fungus on my spellcasters so they had plenty of MP and used firestorm/wound all/wand of firestorm on the guards. They would continuously use potions to heal but the one standing in the gap couldn't heal fast enough and would die. Whenever a section of the wall would decay I would immediately bring it back up. I repeated the process until all the guards were dead.

The loot is... incredible! Much better by FAR than any anything found in the game so far. I'm rich! RICH!!! :bounce:

Thanks mercyRPG for giving me the idea to go back and make the attempt, very worth it!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
The game crashes if I select a buff to cast and press escape before choosing a target for the buff.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I fear I may have gimped myself by taking a Lizardman Monk.. He has good hitting chances, but he hardly does any damage! :(

And it's weird- the stats screen says he should be the same damage as my 2-handed-axe wielding dorf.

But everytime, each time the dorf hits, lots more blood spurts than when the monk hits.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom