Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs without dungeons

larpingdude14

Scholar
I just realised that I really hate dungeons. Can anyone recommend me some good dungeonless RPGs?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wizardry 8 has only four real dungeons. Three of them are hidden goodies you'll not find without a guide; the last is the Rapax Castle.

Apart from it it doesn't have any dungeons at all, and least none that are big enough to be a proper old-school dungeon. That doesn't make it a bad game, though. It's the best dungeon crawler there is, even without dungeons.

Torment's dungeons are short enough not to be painful - but they're still annoying.

Kavax

Scholar
Fallout has ''disguised'' dungeons (Vault 15, Mariposa Base, the lower Cathedral levels, the Necropolis Sewers...)

Binary

Liturgist
No dungeons whatsoever? What a challenge!

Recommend:

Quest for Glory series (few screens in caves, but no dungeon)
Cobra Mission
Darklands (you can avoid any dungeons in this game, I played this for ages and never entered one)
Drakkhen

Can't really recommend but might be your type:

Elvira
Keef The thief
Legends of Valour (if sewers dont count as dungeons hehe)
Mines of Titan
Superhero League of Hoboken (I don't remember a dungeon...)
Twilight 2000

Great games with some, but not much, dungeon interaction:

Ultima 7 part 1 (main storyline includes 3 small dungeons iirc)
Worlds of Ultima 1 - Savage Empire (darn big dungeon at the end though)
Worlds of Ultima 2 - Martian Dreams (a few very small dungeons)

Joe Krow

Erudite
Are there any rpgs without dialogue? I'm so frickin tired of listening to other people bitch. I feel like telling them "You're level one just like me asshole. You started with the same gear I did so why not just solve your own fucking problem?" Since most rpgs don't give me that option I'd rather they just said nothing at all. I want an rpg where I play a guy with an axe who wants to get rich by killing affluent orcs. I don't really care so much about the fate of the empire or my divine lineage.

Binary

Liturgist
Joe Krow said:
Are there any rpgs without dialogue? I'm so frickin tired of listening to other people bitch. I feel like telling them "You're level one just like me asshole. You started with the same gear I did so why not just solve your own fucking problem?" Since most rpgs don't give me that option I'd rather they just said nothing at all. I want an rpg where I play a guy with an axe who wants to get rich by killing affluent orcs. I don't really care so much about the fate of the empire or my divine lineage.

Mordor :)

Human Shield

Augur
There hasn't been good dungeons in a game since forever. There hasn't been climbing since Daggerfall, and an interesting swimming system has never been done. Not to mention good encounters and actual teamwork among the enemy.

TrustNo1

Scholar
Do you mean dungeons as in dark, underground places, or more generally as a place filled almost exclusively with enemies to grind?

What is a dungeon? Can a dungeon be in an outdoor setting? Should it be defined in its function and elements, or is it only a specific type of tileset/graphics?

Joe Krow

Erudite
If there's enough gold to buy a palace in the dungeon then why don't they just do that? Why live in a cave? Are they shunned by society? And if they are then isn't it kind of cruel to charge in kill them and steal their gold when all they really want is to be left alone? Dungeon crawling is theft!! And where do they get all those chests anyway? Do they make them? Why do they all look alike? It's just crazy. I think I've changed my mind about dungeons. I am now against them.

Squeek

Scholar
It doesn't matter whether you hate dungeons or not; what matters is how your characters feel about dungeons!

Seriously, dungeons are really only a pleasure when they're well designed, and that doesn't seem easy. Every RPG seems to come up with a few good ideas for dungeons -- even Oblivion's dungeons had a handful of good qualities -- but unless they're a complete package, dungeons can suck for sure. Mostly I imagine they're a lot of work.

Myself, I love a good dungeon crawl. I like the feeling of not wanting to die there, not knowing what to expect, and wondering what could have been going through the mind of the disturbed person who designed it.

Kavax

Scholar
I usually find out that dungeons are exactly some of what I less like about RPG's (Other than almost every damn fight having to end with the death of the opponents)

-Fallout 2: I love it a lot, because it has only about 4 small dungeons.
-Arcanum: Hate the dungeons, love about everything else.
-Fallout: Always get bored in the dungeons.
-Planescape: Torment: I want to finish the dungeon as fast as I can.

DoppelG

Scholar
I don't understand "not liking dungeons", i understand "not liking bad gamedesign". (you can ofcourse have certain preferences)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom