Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Some retard's hour long review of Arcanum

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Pretty much every native English speaker that isn't a hick knows to pronounce it as Ar-Kay-Num. Same rules as 'arcane', FFS, how difficult can it be.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much every native English speaker that isn't a hick knows to pronounce it as Ar-Kay-Num. Same rules as 'arcane', FFS, how difficult can it be.
That is if you think it's an English word. But it isn't, for me at least. Like "obscura" in the end of the game's title, they resemble more latin than english and the pronunciation there would be ar-ka-num

PrettyDeadman

You don't realize how painful english-speaking people pronouncing latin words sound for a non native english speaker who learned latin...

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Stress and vowel reductions can result suffixes changing the pronunciation of a stem:

photo

/ˈfəʊ̯təʊ̯/ FOW-tow

photograph

/ˈfəʊ̯təɡɹɑf/ FOW-tə-grahf

photographer

/fətˈɒɡɹəfə(r)/ fə-TO-grə-fə(r)

Both pronunciations (/ɑrˈkɛɪnəm/ ar-KAY-nəm and /ɑrˈkɑːnəm/ ar-KAAH-nəm) standard, but ar-KAY-nuhm is the traditional. If you want to pronounce it like Latin that would be /ɑrˈkɑnʊm/ ahr-KAH-nuhm

Serus

Arcane
Patron
BTW, its written arcanum, not arkaynum.

It might as well mean that the person who was given the script to read for this trailer was as uneducated as your average codexer. A better proof would be how the authors of the game spell it - and it would be ar-kay-num as well (at least in case of Tim Cain but i doubt anyone else spelled it differently in Troika).

On the other hand Tim Cain is they guy who said "...it was 18th century and you had locomotives..." so i suspect he is the kind of guy who thinks plural of arcanum is arcanums. The word is Latin (or directly derived from Latin) so spelling it according to Latin that has its own merit.

Anyway - who the fuck cares how other people pronounce it (Drog apparently does, but i mean - other than him). Don't be assholes.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
You don't realize how painful english-speaking people pronouncing latin words sound for a non native english speaker who learned latin...

is it more or less painful than reading hundreds of posts written by autistic ethnics butthurt that some dumb fucking word from some dead fucking language is being mispronounced in some fucking videogame about elves shooting each other with colt .45s

Serus

Arcane
Patron

is it more or less painful than reading hundreds of posts written by autistic ethnics butthurt that some dumb fucking word from some dead fucking language is being mispronounced in some fucking videogame about elves shooting each other with colt .45s
"some deadfucking language"... indeed. Some completely randomly chosen obscure dead language. I hear you.

Tytus

Arcane
You can believe it or not it is your choice:
You misunderstood. I'm not a follower of Lore, I just liked some of his stuff (most of what he makes is fucking horrible to be honest). I'm well willing to believe all this, it even fits, this is a fucking guy in his 40ties who not so long time ago had fucking blue hair and plays Kingdom Hearts and treats this franchise seriously - I mean come on, perfect pedo. I just want proof. Besides, I have a friend who is a fan and who doesn't believe in any of this, BECAUSE LORE IS SO COOL AND I LIKE HIM. I would like to have something to show him.

Well then I can't give you anything more. The only reason I have this is because I was copying it from a thread on his forums to show a friend. I wasn't making an archive or anything of the entire discussion. (Maybe I should've)

And he isn't in his 40s he exaggerated his age when he was lying about his life in his vidoes. When he was arrested he was 32. But it seems he lied about a lot of things.

Lord Rocket

Erudite

"some deadfucking language"... indeed. Some completely randomly chosen obscure dead language. I hear you.

I went away for a bit to ponder this post, thinking it was like a zen koan or some shit, like completely meaningless at first glance - what does the use of Latin in a game's title have to do with annoying posts on an internet forum some 16 years after said games release?? - but once I got it I'd ascend to a higher plane of being and get to play on a xylophone with the Archangel Michael in heaven (or whatever the Buddhist equivalent is; I neither know nor care, but, if you do, here's a great opportunity to feel superior to me). But then I realised that Latin is still fucking dead outside the Vatican, and the most likely reason it was so completely randomly chosen was because of that, and the consequent old-timey, ritualistic and mystical connotations it has for a modern audience. EXPELLIARMUS!!!! etc.*

* in this context, pronounced with a soft 'c'

On the other hand Tim Cain is they guy who said "...it was 18th century and you had locomotives..." so i suspect he is the kind of guy who thinks plural of arcanum is arcanums.

You just know that there must be a fuckload of junior employee developers who, after spending the first 3 years of their career researching the setting in the 8 minutes of spare time per day they've got between their ridiculous work hours and the necessities of eating/sleeping, and getting shat on for getting it so badly wrong, are just dying to make a game that presents itself as a FO3/4 clone, except every time you enter the 'hacking' minigame, you just get dumped to dos prompt. Raising the skill level results in a password-restricted PDF series of text books for 'coding in C++' being emailed to you (none of that easily by-passable Adobe restrictions either, I mean some Blackberry Watchdox shit). Every skill level after that unlocks a chapter of the text book to read in your own time. Eventually the player may or may not be able to use that knowledge to reverse-engineer the game's source code and change the in-game objects so that the in-game computer terminal can now be switched on.

Critical failure automatically emails your location, bank account details, logs of all previous hacking attempts, and address for service of court documents to their publisher's lawyers.

There is no in-game way of achieving critical success, but if the game's logs determine that you've obviously stolen someone else's savegame via 'social engineering hack' instead of wasting your own time, then it's recorded as a critical success for steam achievement purposes.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I went away for a bit to ponder this post, thinking it was like a zen koan or some shit, like completely meaningless at first glance - what does the use of Latin in a game's title have to do with annoying posts on an internet forum some 16 years after said games release?? - but once I got it I'd ascend to a higher plane of being and get to play on a xylophone with the Archangel Michael in heaven (or whatever the Buddhist equivalent is; I neither know nor care, but, if you do, here's a great opportunity to feel superior to me). But then I realised that Latin is still fucking dead outside the Vatican, and the most likely reason it was so completely randomly chosen was because of that, and the consequent old-timey, ritualistic and mystical connotations it has for a modern audience. EXPELLIARMUS!!!! etc.*

* in this context, pronounced with a soft 'c'
All this written and You are the one bitching about meaningless posts...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Is there any plane of existence whereby when Latin was used as the common tongue there wouldn't have been innumerable regional variations with as much variation as modern variations produce? Isn't the only reason you feel there's some kind of correct way to pronounce something solely due to the language being spoken by so few people that there's not enough people using it to produce variation.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Is there any plane of existence whereby when Latin was used as the common tongue there wouldn't have been innumerable regional variations with as much variation as modern variations produce? Isn't the only reason you feel there's some kind of correct way to pronounce something solely due to the language being spoken by so few people that there's not enough people using it to produce variation.
LOL. No-one is speaking it as their first language. It is a dead language. That doesn't mean there aren't any academic standards how to teach Latin and how to spell Latin words.

Edit:
On the other hand Tim Cain is they guy who said "...it was 18th century and you had locomotives..." so i suspect he is the kind of guy who thinks plural of arcanum is arcanums.

You just know that there must be a fuckload of junior employee developers who, after spending the first 3 years of their career researching the setting in the 8 minutes of spare time per day they've got between their ridiculous work hours and the necessities of eating/sleeping, and getting shat on for getting it so badly wrong, are just dying to make a game that presents itself as a FO3/4 clone, except every time you enter the 'hacking' minigame, you just get dumped to dos prompt. Raising the skill level results in a password-restricted PDF series of text books for 'coding in C++' being emailed to you (none of that easily by-passable Adobe restrictions either, I mean some Blackberry Watchdox shit). Every skill level after that unlocks a chapter of the text book to read in your own time. Eventually the player may or may not be able to use that knowledge to reverse-engineer the game's source code and change the in-game objects so that the in-game computer terminal can now be switched on.

Critical failure automatically emails your location, bank account details, logs of all previous hacking attempts, and address for service of court documents to their publisher's lawyers.

There is no in-game way of achieving critical success, but if the game's logs determine that you've obviously stolen someone else's savegame via 'social engineering hack' instead of wasting your own time, then it's recorded as a critical success for steam achievement purposes.
How is this post in any way related to what i wrote ? Serious question, no smartassery on my part (at least in this case) ?

Last edited:

Enough with the offtopic. Let's stick to Mr KiddoRapist's fantastic tales, please.

LOL. No-one is speaking it as their first language. It is a dead language. That doesn't mean there aren't any academic standards how to teach Latin and how to spell Latin words.

Edit:

How is this post in any way related to what i wrote ? Serious question, no smartassery on my part (at least in this case) ?

It wasn't. In any way whatsoever. I cherry-plucked one line and went off on a tangent for my own amusement.

Normally I'd concede that might be bad form, but the thread went off topic so early that it felt more inappropriate to post something relevant.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I already knew that (most) native english speakers cannot pronounce latin words properly.
1. It's not a Latin word, you pretentious, hypercorrecting fuck.

2. No-one knows what the actual correct prononciation of Latin words are, it's an extinct language and all we have to go on is the way the Catholic church pronounces stuff, which is Church Latin in any case and not the classical form. You pretentious fuck.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I already knew that (most) native english speakers cannot pronounce latin words properly.
No-one knows what the actual correct prononciation of Latin words are, it's an extinct language and all we have to go on is the way the Catholic church pronounces stuff, which is Church Latin in any case and not the classical form. You pretentious fuck.
FFS, at least one sane person here.

The Latin we know of today was just the prestige dialect, or more like the written version of it. The spoken language (vulgar Latin) was vastly different and had many dialects. Who the fuck knows how they used to say shit back in the day.

This whole situation is not unlike Classical Chinese, where an ancient language slowly degenerated into just a prestigious way to express oneself on paper. No one knows how to pronounce Old Chinese whose grammar was the basis for the Classical Chinese writings, yet most Chinks can still string together a sentence or two in Classical Chinese and read it out aloud with modern Mandarin pronunciation.

Exactly the same goes for Latin. E.g. Russians pronounce Caesar not as see-zur, but more like tseh-zar, and that's where their word "czar" comes from. Which pronunciation is "more correct"?? Who the fuck knows, but in the Passion of Christ they used the latter.

Darkzone

Arcane
Latin (not vulgar Latin) sounded probably like a mix of italian and romanian. And i have learned that it is not pronounced like see-zur, but more as as kay-zur from that the german Kaiser is derived. The problem is the ae, because some languages fall more to the a others to the e form.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kaizar, like in New Vegas :obviously:

That's probably also where the German word "kaiser" comes from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom