Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

GrainWetski

Arcane
Relatively free. Free as in it was full price and I wanted to buy it then it was free so I didn't need to.

When you have to flush money down the toilet to get the "free" stuff, it's not actually free. It's like saying you get free games for being subscribed to Humble Monthly.

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
ADOM. Lost 3 chars at Mana Temple. Ancient Chaos Wyrm - cure corruption potion. Snake from Beyond - cure poison potion. Is there any guaranteed way to punish Nuurag Vaarn?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Relatively free. Free as in it was full price and I wanted to buy it then it was free so I didn't need to.

When you have to flush money down the toilet to get the "free" stuff, it's not actually free. It's like saying you get free games for being subscribed to Humble Monthly.

Flush money down the toilet? I pay for PS+ once a year for the price of one game (actually less) then get numerous other games (usually ones I want to play but don't buy) and ability to play exclusives I can't on my PC. The account was already covered for me with the games I have gotten recently and the year isn't over and I get access to sales I normally would not if I was not a member of PS +. I cannot fully take advantage of PC sales due to having a shit tier computer atm, so I take any sales I can get.

Killing Floor 2 and Life Is Strange are both great free games this month. Both ones I was pretty close to picking up at one point recently, so yeah I consider that a fucking win not money wasting. I hardly ever buy games these days so things like this are nice. My Vita, PS3, and PS4 get games every month that I normally would not have for a really cheap price. If you don't own a PS4 or look at these sales you most likely have no clue what you are talking about and are speaking strictly from your own narrow point of view. Without knowing your opinion on the subject I can assume you are part of the PC ALWAYS crowd who shun all console games/system like the plague, or prefer them via their PC ports? If so then this is a fruitless debate. I think all platforms are worth playing games on. Besides if we are getting down to this semantic bullshit nothing is free. That "FREE" TV you just got with that new car is made up of the money you just got fucked out of on you new car. I get it. Really.

laclongquan

Arcane
I have installed NWN1 for a month.
I reluctantly played around with OC for 1 hour in creating characters.
I reluctantly played around with Hordes of Underdark for 1 hour in creating characters.
I rather played to completion a so-so game, UFO Extraterrestrial. The game is worse than UFO Aftershock and Afterlight.
I rather reinstalled and played for 2 hour Fallout Tactics, Redux mod, something I am not actually that positive about (Redux modder's philosophy is a bit unagreeable to me)
FINALLY, after much hesitance, I find that I'd rather try this questionable mod, Redux v1.3, for Fallout Tactics, than trying NWN1, OC or HotU. Currently crawling around in Newport.
So yeah, there's huge problem with NWN1 and the way it draw my interests.
Say what you will about NWN2OC, but it's more attractive than 1. It engage players into creating personal connections (your hometown, your foster father, your childhood friend getting killed before very eyes, assassins after your ass...)

Deleted member 7219

I reluctantly played around with Hordes of Underdark for 1 hour in creating characters.
I rather played to completion a so-so game, UFO Extraterrestrial. The game is worse than UFO Aftershock and Afterlight.
I rather reinstalled and played for 2 hour Fallout Tactics, Redux mod, something I am not actually that positive about (Redux modder's philosophy is a bit unagreeable to me)
FINALLY, after much hesitance, I find that I'd rather try this questionable mod, Redux v1.3, for Fallout Tactics, than trying NWN1, OC or HotU. Currently crawling around in Newport.
Say what you will about NWN2OC, but it's more attractive than 1. It engage players into creating personal connections (your hometown, your foster father, your childhood friend getting killed before very eyes, assassins after your ass...)

Have a brofist for saying something positive about NWN2 OC.

mbv123

Arbiter
Beat the saboteur in under 22 hours, about as long as GTA 4 & San Andreas. I liked it, even though it's late parts involved way too much shooting and bullet sponge opponents.
Driving around in occupied Paris when it's dark and rainy, with nazis bullying frenchies everywhere and hearing their propaganda 24/7 from the speakers was top tier atmosphere. Wish more games did this stuff more often. Also, I can't recall any other game that lets you light a cig once you've killed 50 SS dudes and blew up dozens of tanks.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beat the saboteur in under 22 hours, about as long as GTA 4 & San Andreas. I liked it, even though it's late parts involved way too much shooting and bullet sponge opponents.
Driving around in occupied Paris when it's dark and rainy, with nazis bullying frenchies everywhere and hearing their propaganda 24/7 from the speakers was top tier atmosphere. Wish more games did this stuff more often. Also, I can't recall any other game that lets you light a cig once you've killed 50 SS dudes and blew up dozens of tanks.
And then there's blowing stuff, raising the alarm, scrambling across the rooftops for escape, only to run into a damn kraut. Then you get so pissed you grab him and throw him down the roof, only for him to land on a general and kill him too.
Good times.

Krivol

Magister

Brofisted cos' I am also playing F:T Redux and I have mixed feelings about this. And saying something bad about NWN1 is allways good.

pippin

What does Redux do? My concerns are mostly about how the game changes when muties start appearing, you HAVE to use long ranged Big Guns.

Krivol

Magister
What does Redux do? My concerns are mostly about how the game changes when muties start appearing, you HAVE to use long ranged Big Guns.
Mostly it changes NPCs and weapons. And adds plenty of useless items (I think they are useless as they do nothing so far, things like iron rations of food etc). New NPCs are quite one dimentional - most of them have gifted and/or quick shoot. Weapons seems to be more deadly, which is not making the game more difficult but rather more fast-paced.

pippin

That guy really hated the game. If he was going to change every single thing he might as well have created a new game from scratch. I don't know if I like the changes tho, seems all over the place.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Ok, I've decided to come back to Tetsujin and give it one more hour just to see if it gets better, and surprisingly, it did. Beat it a few days ago and apart from a few really tedious levels, it's pretty solid.

It's more of a simplistic dungeon crawler than an FPS. Almost every enemy type requires a specific strategy (some cannot be attacked from the front, others self-destruct to harm you, some move very fast and attack by ramming, some stun you, some can be damaged only during specific animation frames, etc), there is a couple of upgrades (max HP upgrades, enemy radar, speed booster, etc) and it's fairly short. Add landmines, teleporters and the ability to freely travel between levels to the mix and you get 7 hours of slow-paced fun with a few nice FMV cutscenes. The music is also very good (but it's pretty low-quality compared to the sequel).

If you're going to give it a try, just get past the first 3 levels as quickly as possible, the game gets a lot better later on. Also, if you overclock the 3DO CPU in the emulator settings, you can improve the framerate and enjoy the game without slowdown. The sequel is miles better when it comes to performance, but it's also closer to a straightforward shooter -- I'll write a bit more about it once I'm done with it.

7g5zY0A.png
WMxyzzu.png
82b529a0-ac9d-4ee6-88fc-c6a01f1729a1
n8k9dQq.png
kElKxVm.png

SDeden

Novice
Currently playing Arcanum again for the first time in several years... just part of my natural cycle between games. I expect in the next few months I'll get back into the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2 and then go back to Skyrim or maybe see if there are any new interest mods or upgrades of Open XCom, then ect...

As Fallout 4 had very little appeal for me I wonder at this point if I'll ever buy a new game ever again. My most recent purchase is Crusader Kings 2 but I only got that for the GoT Mod. Just don't care about anything coming out anymore.

Machocruz

Arcane
Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Dolphin

It's alright I guess. The planetoid concept is pretty inspired. 3D platformers will never be as good as side-scrollers to me. Movement doesn't feel as snappy/crisp, platforming is not as precise. 2D Mario games weren't hardcore difficulty (outside of Lost Levels), but there were a lot of character wide platforms over bottomless pits to deal with. Don't really exist in 3D platformers from what I've seen. Also, I think there are other games not branded 3D platformers that have more satisfying run and jump than any of the ones that are.

Then there is also the fact that, as far as cartoon style art goes, sprites>3D models for me. The brilliant Guilty Gear Xrd being the exception of course. There is a lack of style or 'quirk' in the Mario character models.

laclongquan

Arcane
Wake me up when somebody fixes the burst bug in FOT. :roll:

According to the fix notes, he doesnt and cant fix the whole problem because "it's feature, not bug, according to game devs" so the modder simply cant. Unable to. He tried to mitigate somewhat.

As for what Redux do. Based on the few hours I played with first map and Bunker Alpha

1. He add a bunch of new items that so far I am unsure doing anything. Example is Brahmin WOod, he add a Tribal Craftman who sell an inventory full of new items. Bunker Alpha spot some extra item too.

2. It's possibly Brahmin Wood got more enemies. He did say somehwere in the note that he increase number in all mission maps.

3. Bunker Alpha got some new NPCs. Unsure which role they play. Jess is possibly provide a quest.

4. NO Random Encounter between Mission Maps and Bunkers. which mean you can have a free zone to move loots without worry. However, outside of those green zones, the rest has increased difficulty in REs.

5. Sawn off shotgun no longer shoot double barrel, I think. In a way, good, because double barrel is OP for beginning. More pistols, less range.

6. The MC and Farsight, Stitch got some extra stuffs to help with the First Mission. This is in keeping with his suggestion of doing mission at double its level. Ie if you fight mission 2 you should be at level 4. So mission 1 mean you should fight at level 2. Since it's impossible, the help is needed and logical.

7. Recruits got redesigned, in both stat and name. My 8CHA got to senior initiate right after mission 1 so got access to a bunch, 10~. Some quite good, which is 3 I add to the party. Some is fine.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Finally forgotten how shit skyrim's combat was so I'm giving Enderal a go, the combat's still shit and I start rolling my eyes after a few encounters but world is much better crafted than the base game, dunno if I'll finish.

Finally forgotten how shit skyrim's combat was so I'm giving Enderal a go, the combat's still shit and I start rolling my eyes after a few encounters but world is much better crafted than the base game, dunno if I'll finish.

Most game combat is shiite, and most RPG combat is even worse shiiite, but then you play something like Skyrim, and you realize just how shiiiite shiiiite can be. What I would give a lot for is to have a video of the Skyrim dev team sitting around their offices back in 2010 or whenever, and designing this exquisite shiiite. I would love to hear their reasons and justifications and logic. Was it just, hey, let's dumb this down so much that ANYONE's grandma could do it, to increase sales? Or maybe they were all high on cocaine from Oblivion/F3 sales, I dunno.

spekkio

Arcane
Wake me up when somebody fixes the burst bug in FOT. :roll:

According to the fix notes, he doesnt and cant fix the whole problem because "it's feature, not bug, according to game devs" so the modder simply cant. Unable to. He tried to mitigate somewhat.
Ehm, no? The bug itself seems to be fixed, at least according to Redux's readme:

Endocore said:
I also added a harm reduction change regarding burst fire to the exe, thanks to TwoEyedYum and our Russian FOT cousins. The latter addresses the "burst fire that misses invariably hits someone else" problem. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the other problems associated with burst fire (that it's not resolved as a volley, etc) because these were considered "features" rather than bugs by Microforte, and are deeply embedded in the game's code.
Needs some TESTIN'.

Here's the fixed .exe from the Redux 1.3 installation, for people who don't want to DL the whole 300 MB file:

https://www.mediafire.com/?xc51c8xd1l0bl32

laclongquan

Arcane
REDUX:

Thanks to the science terminal at bunker alpha, I can level up my thief to level 3, because science/lockpick/healing xp are awarded individually. My Steal98 thief guy stole the minigun right out of General Banarky~ Score!

I am a bit ambivalent regarding big gun. Currently Wanda is BG with two option: 2 flamer pistols or that minigun. And even if level her to 3 and invest all in BG she got only upto 50 point. Too unskilled~

Varvarg

Educated
Been playing Skyrim modded to the teeth. 1 life challenge. It's... surprisingly hard, even on adept difficulty. Especially so if you run melee non-sneak. Just lost a lvl ~20 cat @ Alduin because I forgot to craft some fire res gear.

Next time, I will probably try a two handed orc and smash in some skulls.

Been looking forward to Skyblivion, and

Will probably try 1 life challenge for FO:NV next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom