Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Official Screenshot of Switch Skyrim released

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Looks like it's gonna be the best version, boys!!
4c3b46ca1ddb751ffefc3549e0563606.jpg

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Obviously fake, but the Switch is a piece of shit, so Skyrim probably won't look much better on it.

In hand-held mode, the Tegra SoC doesn't run at full capacity in order to preserve battery life and keep the thermals under control. In that mode, the GPU is a bit more powerful (in shader / calculation terms) than the WiiU, which is in turn a bit more powerful than X360, while the total memory available to games is several times higher and it runs a far more modern architecture than either of those. The Switch has 4096MB of ram, versus 512MB for X360 and 256+256 for PS3. When docked, the GPU increases clock speeds and then becomes a lot more powerful than X360, but it's still not close to the XB1/PS4.

We should expect Skyrim switch to look better than the 360 version while also maintaining similar or better frame-rates. It has far more memory for textures than the previous generation of consoles did, to the point that even if they reserved 2 full GB of memory for OS (which they don't) it would still have >4x the memory available to games than the X360 did. Of course they could always do a shit port job, but that's true of any game. The Switch itself is more than capable of running improved versions of last-gen games.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Obviously fake, but the Switch is a piece of shit, so Skyrim probably won't look much better on it.

In hand-held mode, the Tegra SoC doesn't run at full capacity in order to preserve battery life and keep the thermals under control. In that mode, the GPU is a bit more powerful (in shader / calculation terms) than the WiiU, which is in turn a bit more powerful than X360, while the total memory available to games is several times higher and it runs a far more modern architecture than either of those. The Switch has 4096MB of ram, versus 512MB for X360 and 256+256 for PS3. When docked, the GPU increases clock speeds and then becomes a lot more powerful than X360, but it's still not close to the XB1/PS4.

We should expect Skyrim switch to look better than the 360 version while also maintaining similar or better frame-rates. It has far more memory for textures than the previous generation of consoles did, to the point that even if they reserved 2 full GB of memory for OS (which they don't) it would still have >4x the memory available to games than the X360 did. Of course they could always do a shit port job, but that's true of any game. The Switch itself is more than capable of running improved versions of last-gen games.

I'd believe this if BotW didn't run like shit on Switch, and it's easily less graphically demanding than Skyrim. Nintendo has always been shit at utilizing their hardware's potential, and we won't actually see it utilized fully until the end of the Switch's life I'd wager. Also, considering Bethesda's track record with console games, I'd be surprised if this game didn't brick the Switch at launch.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I'd believe this if BotW didn't run like shit on Switch, and it's easily less graphically demanding than Skyrim. Nintendo has always been shit at utilizing their hardware's potential, and we won't actually see it utilized fully until the end of the Switch's life I'd wager. Also, considering Bethesda's track record with console games, I'd be surprised if this game didn't brick the Switch at launch.

As far as Bethesda goes, yeah, I'd expect gamebreaking bugs at launch too because they're terrible. I'm just saying that if it does run crap on Switch, that's their fault, not the hardware's fault. Tegra X1 (a slightly customized version is running in the Switch) is a proven piece of hardware, we know it can run last-gen games well... if the developers don't half ass it, anyway. The footage shown at E3 for Skyrim Switch doesn't look bad, it certainly doesn't look worse than 360/ps3.

Considering it's really a portable disguised as a home console, the Switch is pretty powerful. I expect Skyrim to look like the PS3/360 version with better draw distance (which was the main issue with those, I thought the textures looked good enough for the old hardware)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom