Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ArcSys saving fighting games with Dragon Ball FighterZ

Weird, she said it doesn't have throws?

Mechanically, throws are still in. They just look like 'clashes' from the show, aesthetically, complete with finishing kicks or punches that knock the enemy away.

I'm a big Marvel fan. I was ranked#3 in the first Heroes and Heralds leaderboard right beneath the legendary player davidhasselmuff. This game is looking pretty exciting to me, given how lackluster MVC: Infinite seems to be shaping up. Given the franchise they're working with this time, I do have to think Arcsys will have some tools or mechanics to help noobies out, much like the autocombo system in P4A where you could just mash 'A' and it would give you a basic magic series. I'm hoping we'll see a game with a high skill ceiling and low barrier for entry.

Gerrard

Arcane
shogk8z.jpg

mfozL1S.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lol Pl it asking for it to be "EASIER" THAN ARCSYS MAINFG gg.... talk about decline. Ugh. Fuck casuals. They ruin everything from rugs to fg's.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Lol Pl it asking for it to be "EASIER" THAN ARCSYS MAINFG gg.... talk about decline. Ugh. Fuck casuals. They ruin everything from rugs to fg's.
I wouldn't mind one bit if ASW takes control of every single corner of the FG market.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I really wish I'd still have those bulgy-eyed Ryu and Blanka reaction faces at hand from back when KoFXII was revealed, at this point comparing ArcSys with just about any other fighting game studio in terms of visuals is just a downright comical curbstomp.

I wouldn't mind one bit if ASW takes control of every single corner of the FG market.
The even crazier part is that ArcSys games should be fairly accessible to casuals because of how excellent their tutorials are nowadays.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I really wish I'd still have those bulgy-eyed Ryu and Blanka reaction faces at hand from back when KoFXII was revealed, at this point comparing ArcSys with just about any other fighting game studio in terms of visuals is just a downright comical curbstomp.

The even crazier part is that ArcSys games should be fairly accessible to casuals because of how excellent their tutorials are nowadays.

Indeed. Pretty sure capcom is starting to shit itself :bounce:

Vaarna_Aarne

Personally I'd say a biggest case of casuls ruining fighting games is SNK ditching their lovely HD sprites in favour of 3D because casul bitching about pixels. This one pixel artist that made a massive blog post about the subject pointed out how absolutely completely absurd it is to give Street Fighter 4 higher graphics score than KoF XII which had probably the best 2D graphics ever at the time it was released.

Latro

Arcane
it's not really that pixels aren't popular, it's mostly that it is fucking expensive

cheaper to just get some 3d art student in-house and train them up like an RPG

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's not that simple since the way the models are made and animated require good knowledge of 2D, it's not just 3D with fixed camera and cel-shading. They p. much try to make it as 2D as possible, the technology behind it is p. interesting.

It's why it looks good while other 3D fighters look like arse regardless of texture/shaders.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's not that simple since the way the models are made and animated require good knowledge of 2D, it's not just 3D with fixed camera and cel-shading. They p. much try to make it as 2D as possible, the technology behind it is p. interesting.

It's why it looks good while other 3D fighters look like arse regardless of texture/shaders.
Not just the technology, the attention to detail and overall methodology is a big part in it too. A good example of this is that ArcSys is probably the first game studio to realize that the framerate of animation is also a part in achieving a stylistic look, since they don't animate Guilty Gear Xrd and this in 60fps because of anal obsession with trying to be "smooth", but rather they go with IIRC 24fps which was the typical Japanese animation standard and then go on from there to make the animation in their 3D like it was genuine 2D animation, focusing on keyframes and the like.

That whole tag-in arrival animation with Frieza speeding at Goku in the reference video posted here is an excellent example of just how much more than simply regular training goes into ArcSys making their games look so damn good.

EDIT: Anyway here's the blog post by a pixel artist I mentioned, which includes an explanation why Street Fighter 4 (and 5) look like ass: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/

Mozg

Arcane
That Frieza references video actually kinda makes it seem like ASW doesn't do outlandishly 2D facial expressions. Frieza breaking out into crazy Joker faces is part of his character. Although they might just not have hit that level of polish yet on the character yet, Goku looks more finished.

i find extremely disturbing how often there's only one character on screen. it seems like a deal breaker to me.

Stompa

Arcane
Personally I'd say a biggest case of casuls ruining fighting games is SNK ditching their lovely HD sprites in favour of 3D because casul bitching about pixels. This one pixel artist that made a massive blog post about the subject pointed out how absolutely completely absurd it is to give Street Fighter 4 higher graphics score than KoF XII which had probably the best 2D graphics ever at the time it was released.

It wasn't casuals that made SNK drop 2D, it was just incredibly fucking time consuming to do those sprites. A year and four months per character! In comparison, an Xrd character takes half a year. And that's with SNK cutting corners whereever they could, from movesets to headswaps to special effects. Just to keep people happy and scrounge up some money they had to release an unfinished beta version (KoF XII says hi) which gained them no favours with their fans. In the end their "lovely HD sprites" sunk the company and it's completely understandable why they don't want to return to them.

Vaarna_Aarne

It wasn't casuals that made SNK drop 2D, it was just incredibly fucking time consuming to do those sprites. A year and four months per character! In comparison, an Xrd character takes half a year. And that's with SNK cutting corners whereever they could, from movesets to headswaps to special effects. Just to keep people happy and scrounge up some money they had to release an unfinished beta version (KoF XII says hi) which gained them no favours with their fans. In the end their "lovely HD sprites" sunk the company and it's completely understandable why they don't want to return to them.
Well, I suppose that's true. But I'll still blame the casuls for not appreciating those lovely HD sprites with their wallets properly because that's how one rolls on the Codex!

(EDIT: Also I'd say that in terms of stylistic potential ArcSys hit the motherlode with Xrd, not only does it efficiently allow for incredible level of detail in the characters themselves there's also the way the camera can be used; with 2D sprites that would be way, way, wayyyyyyy too expensive and time-consuming to achieve at the same visual quality

I totes agree that economics are probably a biggest problem considering the time and money needed for the 2D sprites of that level probably made them abandon it in the end, I can see it since I usually take issue with people saying that Jodorowsky's Dune was the best movie never made, when one can clearly see it's a movie that COULDN'T have been made in the form envisioned because of the fact it'd have been impossible to bankroll even IF Jodo wasn't burning millions of dollars in pre-production without any restraint)

That Frieza references video actually kinda makes it seem like ASW doesn't do outlandishly 2D facial expressions. Frieza breaking out into crazy Joker faces is part of his character. Although they might just not have hit that level of polish yet on the character yet, Goku looks more finished.
Also possible they told Namco Bandai "gibe moni pls" and they said "no" and then they aimed their level of polish accordingly? I mean, there's plenty of faces reaching that level in Xrd, like look at all the shit that happens with Faust's Instant Kill and Stimulating Fists of Annihilation:

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane

Trunks was actually spoiled earlier on a small screenshot in a magazine.

And now Piccolo and Krillin are revealed

7H7orh6.jpg

These 9 characters will be playable in the upcoming beta test.

sullynathan

Arcane
what a waste of time. Of course the main characters of DBZ, will be in a DBZ game. Tell me when the beta starts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom