Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
just let this thread die already and the game fade from the collective memory

It's not over until I finish it over a year after release (which is seemingly how long it's going to take me to start installing it at the rate I'm going).

Wolfenswan

Novice
giphy.gif

260055-david-crane-s-a-boy-and-his-blob-trouble-on-blobolonia-nes-front-cover.png

But which of those two is a RPG?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Changed publisherinXile EntertainmentTechland Publishing

https://steamdb.info/app/272270/history/?changeid=2700828

Hm, I thought the publishing deal covers PC retail and consoles only.

And changed back.

Changed publisher – Techland Publishing › inXile Entertainment

https://steamdb.info/app/272270/history/?changeid=3112513

:philosoraptor:

(May or may not related, Techland Publishing delayed their second game Pure Farming 2017 (a.k.a. We Want That Farming Simulator Monies) to next year, and changed its name to Pure Farming 2018.)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From 0 to 50% discount in 4 months. This game flopped so horribly.

I actually hear a lot of people talking about it on Reddit. Can anyone explain why?

Lots of reasons. I suspect they antagonized more people than they expected when they sprang turn-based over RtwP.

That just sort of feeds into the primary reason though, which is that word of mouth was overall unfavorable.

None of the backers or the people who Day 1 purchased it had more than lukewarm praise for it, which is the kiss of death for an indie RPG.

Pretty much Numenera needed to be accepted as an equal or superior game to the original Torment, so that all Torment fans would buy it and all people who heard about Torment would think they were finally experiencing something equal to or better than the original game without actually having to condescend to playing an older game. It needed to be popularly accepted that this spiritual successor had inherited and surpassed the greatness of the old game for sales to get crazy.

That didn't happen, so T:ToN is sort of dead in the water.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I would but I am short on funds. I am tempted to see how awful it is, but I will hold off. If it was 5 bucks I would jump on it for sure.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Changed publisherinXile EntertainmentTechland Publishing

https://steamdb.info/app/272270/history/?changeid=2700828

Hm, I thought the publishing deal covers PC retail and consoles only.

And changed back.

Changed publisher – Techland Publishing › inXile Entertainment

https://steamdb.info/app/272270/history/?changeid=3112513

:philosoraptor:

(May or may not related, Techland Publishing delayed their second game Pure Farming 2017 (a.k.a. We Want That Farming Simulator Monies) to next year, and changed its name to Pure Farming 2018.)
lul, Techland fell for inXile's bait & switch tactics as well.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
A friend of mine told me he stopped playing this game because it is too colorful and the combat is awkward and boring. :)

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Even now, PoE have 6x more active players than TTON. Tyranny have 4x more. :lol:

Holy Hell, TTON is just a gigantic flop.

art.jpg

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
Good on InXile for still not fixing the Anechoric Lazaret bug which has affected a lot of people since release (and now me) which prevents you from completing that rather important quest. Well done.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Meh the game was ok for a pirated game,i wouldn't have been happy if i had paid for it.The writing is filled with pointless fluff,i literally don't remember a single dialogue for the game.The game felt very incohesive and strange for the point of being strange.It was obvious that there were cut parts.But sadly that is the nature of man ..........:dontbelievehislies:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Good on InXile for still not fixing the Anechoric Lazaret bug which has affected a lot of people since release (and now me) which prevents you from completing that rather important quest. Well done.

It's a feature, not a bug!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

The joke's on you because you are still playing this shit game lololol

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
About the worst thing I can say about the technical side of Tides is that the game doesn't allow you to create any sort of profile for the character you're playing. So all auto-saves and quick-saves get saved to the same place, which can cause problems if you have multiple people playing the game, or if you're playing multiple games yourself. It's surprising to me how many games today have unfriendly save systems, when a better one probably wouldn't be much more work.

Obsidian wins again.

Ulfhednar

Savant
If you remember the old analogy questions that used to appear in the SAT, then I'd say that Torment: Tides of Numenera is to Planescape: Torment as The Force Awakens is to Star Wars.

Choose the analogy that best matches the example provided:

Numenera : Midichlorian :: Brian Fargo : George Lucas

a) Torment - Tides of Numenera : Planescape - Torment :: Star Wars eVII the Force Awakens : Star Wars eIV - A New Hope
b) Torment - Tides of Numenera : Planescape - Torment :: Star Wars - Clone Wars (TV Series) : Star Wars eIV - A New Hope
c) Torment - Tides of Numenera : Planescape - Torment :: Rocky IV - The Italian Stallion vs the Russian Menace : Star Wars eIV - A New Hope
d) Torment - Tides of Numenera : Planescape - Torment :: Star Wars eI - the Phantom Menace : Star Wars eIV - A New Hope
e) Torment - Tides of Numenera : Planescape - Torment :: Star Wars - Rogue One : Star Wars eIV - A New Hope

Zer0wing

Cipher
We can go more prestigious than Star Wars analogues, though...
f) Torment - Tides of Numenera : Planescape - Torment :: Children of Dune : Dune (1984 movie)

On the plus side, while Planescape: Torment was fucked by idiotic Interplay marketing strategy (blue zombie on a cover and posters, seriously?) and questionable decisions during development like switching composer and therefore scrapping Lustmord's stuff, Tides of Numenera flopped precisely because it was trash and mediocrity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom