Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOS CRPGs To Get Lost With

afewhours

Scholar
Calis said:
This game I played to the end after downloading it (shareware - the extra episodes for the registered version never got made) from a BBS with my very first modem. Enjoyed the crap out of it. To all who want to try it: go get that dwarf guy to join your party as soon as possible as that'll make combat a whole lot easier early on.

Yes! I had Aethra's Chronicles as well. 'twas a great little game. I remember getting it with some defunct magazine or other. It had a CD without about a billion shareware RPGs on it. That one CD kept me going for months - it's a bit sad I've lost it.

Keldorn

Scholar
Just Dosified and tried out Aethra. It's around the #10 spot on my 2-play list. GREAT, intricate character generation !

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Mighty Mouse said:
I remember Darklands has 11 floppy disks for installation, and one of them went faulty after a couple of years.
I remember installing Ecstatica from, I think, twenty-something floppies... and praying.
BASIC CONCEPT.
What is a role-playing-game ? There are two kinds of role-playing-games: One is the computer role-playing-game: The computer role-playing gamer leads a group of through a fictitious world, whereby the most adverse adventures and puzzles are to be solved. The computer registers all moves, simulates all confrontations and occurences and controls all non-player-characters - (NPC's).

Any guesses which game this came from?
Daggerfall?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
try planet's edge. it doesn't have a great awesomeish plot, but it's a pretty decent sci-fi rpg with some unique (too bad) futures and lots of exploring.
Mighty Mouse said:
namejob, namejob, namejob, the mantra for Ultima VI.
i thought the mantra for ultima vi was spam, spam, spam, humbug.

Keldorn

Scholar
SuicideBunny said:
try planet's edge.

"In 2045, an alien experiment pulled the earth into a timeless void..."

Great stuff ! It's #12 on my to play list.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Binary said:
Calis said:
This game I played to the end after downloading it (shareware - the extra episodes for the registered version never got made) from a BBS with my very first modem. Enjoyed the crap out of it. To all who want to try it: go get that dwarf guy to join your party as soon as possible as that'll make combat a whole lot easier early on.

Aethra Chronicles absolutely ownzzzzz. I think it was my first shareware cRPG and then I spent lots of time (and bandwidth on my 28.8 modem... and phone bills.. but I digress) trying to find other good shareware cRPGs. Unfortunately none as good (imho).
Do you know about episode 2? It's rumored to exist.

Never was able to get very far in that game but appreciated it for it's character system

Binary

Liturgist
Gonchi said:
I was always fond of Bloodstone by Mindcraft. It uses the Magic Candle 3 engine and was apparently a prequel to the series.

It's worthy to play the series in their right order - if you can stomach Keys to Maramon of course.

SuicideBunny said:
try planet's edge. it doesn't have a great awesomeish plot, but it's a pretty decent sci-fi rpg with some unique (too bad) futures and lots of exploring.
Mighty Mouse said:
namejob, namejob, namejob, the mantra for Ultima VI.
i thought the mantra for ultima vi was spam, spam, spam, humbug.

:lol:

Elwro said:
Daggerfall?

No, mondblut was right, it's Faerghail

elander_ said:
The Hound of Shadow
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php? ... dow%2C+The

You won't find any pixel shaders here, only very good writing and a story based on the work of H. P. Lovercraft. One does not live only of crpgs. ;)

You actually reminded me of Veil of Darkness, another interesting RPG with a nice story, not Lovecraft based but Transylvania based.

mondblut

Arcane
dagorkan said:
Do you know about episode 2? It's rumored to exist.

There is no episode 2. The rumors are due to confusion, since Aethra I itself is in 3 "episodes"-chapters, of which only the first is playable in shareware demo, and all 3 in commercial version. Since commercial version has appeared online fairly recently, and in 90s most people only played the shareware version, there is some confusion between chapters 2-3 of Aethra I and the sequels which were never done.

Never was able to get very far in that game but appreciated it for it's character system

It used Rolemaster rules. Worked nicely.

I agree it's the best shareware RPG ever released. Excellent graphics for its style (I wish I could rip out the monster sprites to use in FRUA, Dominions, or wherever), innovative game mechanics, nice story, it had everything. The ending was spectacular too. Hard to realise you must use a special quest item within the combat in order to get the "good" finale.

Rulion

Liturgist
I'm a little shocked - I usually never have a problems with stuff like this. Even when I do, I can usually figure them out myself. But I just downloaded Aethra off the Underdogs, and I have no idea how to run it. Click on install.exe and nothing happens. Run it on DOSbox and I get nothing. Run Game.exe on Dosbox and I get nothing.

The Readme is pretty useless.

JoeDirt

Scholar
y'all are talking about a lot more than just 2 crpg's to get lost with

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom