Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Visceris strikes again: one review for all 3 NWN games!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Even in a dungeon crawler - espicially one like TOEE that tries to pretend to be a role-playing game - gameplay is more than combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Movement (in idnividual areas and overland maps), inventory management, controls, interface control (now how it looks; but how easy it can be manipulated as that effects gameplay), and other less important stuff.

For the record, as far as gameplay goes; I'd rate all of the games you did an 8, or 9 as they are all ahve their strnegths and weakness. Though not mentioned; KOTOR game play would be rated much less than those games with ease so it's not like I agree with the reviewer on his actual score; but once again game play is more than just turn abse combat = 10.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
Movement (in idnividual areas and overland maps), inventory management, controls, interface control (now how it looks; but how easy it can be manipulated as that effects gameplay), and other less important stuff.
These are extras, assuming that it wasn't fucked up completely, it doesn't affect the gameplay much. Take KOTOR for example, inventory was a mess, controls and interface were so-so, but for me it's not really important. If inventory and controls were absolutely perfect, I'd not give it a higher score. So, back to ToEE, the gameplay revolves around TB combat. That's it. Nothing else. Good: great combat engine, nice selection of feats and skills, good 3E implementation. Bad: Too easy and bugs. The score 10 for Good minus 1 for Bad minus 1 for bugs (they are not game stopping) = solid 8, imo.

For the record, as far as gameplay goes; I'd rate all of the games you did an 8, or 9 as they are all ahve their strnegths and weakness. Though not mentioned; KOTOR game play would be rated much less than those games with ease so it's not like I agree with the reviewer on his actual score; but once again game play is more than just turn abse combat = 10.
TB combat doesn't automatically guarantee 10 as there were games that sucked design-wise like POR2. ToEE on the other hand got it right. As for the games and your rating, I;d say that for gameplay NWN gets 5 (you heard all the reasons before, and we are talking about the OC only), BG2 gets 10 as an adventure game or 7 as an RPG (too linear, being forced to do stuff all the time, the combat alone is too weak, imo), IWD gets 7, and KOTOR gets 8. That sounds about right, if you want me to be more specific just ask :)

Edit: I thought about it some more, and I'd give KOTOR 7 (minus 1 for bugs), and IWD 8, and I'd like to note that it's very hard to compare apples to oranges, and it's good that the Codex doesn't use ratings. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Bleh. The fact that you give KOTOR a higher gameplay rtaing than NWN OC shows how skewered you are. KOTOR's controls compared to the other games isa wful. Plain, and simple.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bleh back at you. The controls weren't THAT bad, try Gothic if you want to know how bad it could be. Controls are important in action games because that's where it IS a part of gameplay. In CRPGs bad controls are merely an annoyance. NWN was terrible, KOTOR was ok, rpg-wise, hence the higher score.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh? NWN's controls are basically IE; but enhanced due to the quick slots. Tell me ONE thing in either the IE or KOTOR other than being able to control the slaves.. err.. npcs directly that makes the actual game play better? That's almost impossible espicially in KOTOR's case which is pretty much barely accetable, and wouldn't be at all if it wasn't for the things it does do right.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I meant that NWN was mediocre rpg-wise not control-wise. Controls are irrelevant, imo, unless, like I said, they are completely fucked up making a game unplayable.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
VD, hello, we *are* talking gameplay so control is releavnt to the discussion.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Imo, controls, just like sound, garphics, colour, even an interface depend entitely on a user and user's characteristics. For example, I didn't find Kotor's controls to be that complicated, it was a bit unusual but hardly more then that, some people complained about ToEE's interface, some people are unable to play games like Geneforge and Teudogar because the graphics bug the hell out of them. Gameplay shouldn't be affected by such things and should stick with concepts, ie. TB combat, choices, consequences of choices, open-ended, linear, multiple paths, etc. These are all things that couldn't be misinterpreted, some people may not like a concept or two (people who don't like TB combat thinking that it's boring), but they are clear on what each represents, unlike controls and graphics. We can actually argue about TB combat and feats implementation, but we can't argue about controls. You say they suck, I say they don't, and that's pretty much all argument. I don't see how holding one of your mouse buttons could be a problem, for you it's an alien concept. Subjective perception is a tricky thing, so let's leave controls out of it. :)

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sol Invictus said:
I hear he's still around.
Really? He should like totally rejoin staff, then it would be like the old days.

Trash said:
You allready seen what your grimoire nazism thread turned into? It's a monster.
Well...it started out amusing, but I think we underestimated what a boring windbag Cleve would eventually become.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Really? He should like totally rejoin staff, then it would be like the old days.

Or post more often. The codex is in dire need of some good ol' drama. :wink:

Well...it started out amusing, but I think we underestimated what a boring windbag Cleve would eventually become.

He's been doing the same routine for the last 10 or so years. He thumbs his chest, flings some poo and proclaims himself superior. Repeat that for every post he ever wrote. Still it was amusing, if only to see how the people here would react.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
He finally turned 40 and has climax now. Mom's basement isn't what it used to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom