Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sales of Incline.

skycycle

Educated
Guys, VGCHartz is shit and makes up its numbers, it's not reliable even in the slightest.

Source please? For PC sales that is very much the case, but for consoles you can actually cross-reference their weekly data for some of the bigger markets.

Rev

Arcane
Source please? For PC sales that is very much the case, but for consoles you can actually cross-reference their weekly data for some of the bigger markets.
Everyone knows it's unreliable, if you type "VGChartz is reliabe" on google you get multiple results of people saying it's shit, and it's basically the laughing stock of the internet when it comes to sites who count the numbers of copies sold.

Also, I found this article that explain how they operate: https://www.wired.com/2008/06/why-we-dont-ref/
Basically, they work on rough guesses instead of hard data, and in fact their numbers have been found to be extremely wrong in many cases.

skycycle

Educated
Thanks for the reference, it's generally hard to get reliable data nowadays, shame they seem to be so unreliable. Still, 140-150,000 copies sold for Torment across all platforms seems reasonable, and we can probably safely deduce its console versions will NOT sell anywhere near as well as Wasteland 2 did.

Also silly question since I've been lurking here for many years but only recently registered an account. How do you 'react' to individual posts, and is there an FAQ somewhere for all the forum badges/levels/etc?

Rev

Arcane
Thanks for the reference, it's generally hard to get reliable data nowadays, shame they seem to be so unreliable. Still, 140-150,000 copies sold for Torment across all platforms seems reasonable, and we can probably safely deduce its console versions will NOT sell anywhere near as well as Wasteland 2 did.

Also silly question since I've been lurking here for many years but only recently registered an account. How do you 'react' to individual posts, and is there an FAQ somewhere for all the forum badges/levels/etc?
No problem, and yes, it is kinda hard to get data, except for Steam thanks to Steamspy, there's also the NPD for retail copies but that's only for North America, iirc.
I think 140-150k is reasonable, considering the game is also on GOG where this kind of games go rather well usually and so T:ToN should've made at least 10-20k copies on GOG alone, and some thousands copies on ps4 and xone on top of that.

Per your last question: you can rate post only a year after your registration, unless you become a patron by paying to get the ad-free version of the forum.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well guys as even the philosopher Dom Torreto says "it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning is winning".... Torment is a disappointment even if it sold 200,000 copies; for the time, effort and money spent there it is a comercial failure

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Guys, VGCHartz is shit and makes up its numbers, it's not reliable even in the slightest.
That said, Fargo confirmed in the last Codex interview that console sales were "negligible", so we know for certain that the game bombed there even harder than on PC (where at least they managed to sold 100k+ copies, even if everyone expected more). That said, everyone (except the hacks at inXile, of course) knew that Torment was gonna perform terribly on consoles, and it probably caused (at least, in part) the disappoint PC sales, since most of the fans were angry at them ever since the announce of the console porting.

I really think they knew it would perform badly on consoles and it was mostly something they did for their publisher... techland.
Imagine something like this:
"we gonna fund you but you will port it to consoles"
"i-i-i don't think it's the right market"
"console!"
"ok"
-sign check-

Just speculation ofcourse.

skycycle

Educated
Tyranny owners - 190,719 ± 12,590
Torment: Tides of Numenera owners - 113,736 ± 9,723

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition owners - 27,618 ± 4,792 (released Apr 11, 2017)
Expeditions: Vikings owners - 25,879 ± 4,638 (released Apr 27, 2017)

Time for a quick update via Steamspy, a few days into the Steam Summer Sale:

Tyranny owners - 204,355 ± 12,470
Torment: Tides of Numenera owners - 125,282 ± 9,764

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition owners - 32,466 ± 4,971 (released Apr 11, 2017)
Expeditions: Vikings owners - 31,470 ± 4,894 (released Apr 27, 2017)

A few of the price drops are seemingly having an effect on older titles as well:

Arcanum owners - 101,381 ± 8,784 (was at around 87,000 at start of Summer Sale)
Fallout: New Vegas owners - 4,741,595 ± 59,737 (was at around 4,610,000 at start of Summer Sale)
Alpha Protocol owners - 493,958 ± 19,380 (was at around 474,000 at start of Summer Sale)

I am curious how Age of Decadence is doing, SteamSpy data is behind on it but still up a few thousand since the sale began, hope that 75% price drop is helping a boost in sales.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How do you 'react' to individual posts?

The standard is to reply with unnecessary contempt and sneer and doubt the sexual orientation/manhood or combination thereof of the poster you disagree with.

Oh, you mean ratings...just make a mental note to rate everything 'butthurt' once you are able to.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some fun with Steamspy: how many CRPGs sold during second quarter (and Summer Sale)?

(Revenues: rough estimation that assuming all copies are sold at max discount prices (sales * max discount price); not counting regional prices, copies sold at third-party sellers, bundles and other factors)

7V4iAGv.png

Rev

Arcane
Interesting data, Larian really found itself a gold mine with Divinity: Original Sin, and the second one is going strong too considering it's still in early access.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can see clearly here how a back catalog of titles can keep a small studio going pretty much indefinitely. Good job if you can get it.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can see clearly here how a back catalog of titles can keep a small studio going pretty much indefinitely. Good job if you can get it.
Especially if you're one guy from Serbia. Too bad Styg is employing other people now.

skycycle

Educated
LESS T_T, could you share the same data for BG:EE and BGII:EE as well, I'm curious how they did in terms of copies sold and revenue according to your estimates.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
LESS T_T, could you share the same data for BG:EE and BGII:EE as well, I'm curious how they did in terms of copies sold and revenue according to your estimates.

I've excluded those with numbers are too small (like Serpent in the Stanglands :(), but I guess those two shouldn't be excluded. Likely caused from the fluctuation of Steamspy data.

Anyway here they are, in a bit different time period (starts and ends few days late):

BG:EE: 27822 * $6.79 = 188911.38
BG2:EE 2: 24185 * $6.79 = 164216.15

Modron

Arcane
If any game is capable of having a negative number owners, that's Grimoire.
That's how any new release looks basically, steamspy takes a while to zero in more accurately plus low numbers of users to begin with give it trouble as well.

RuySan

Augur
Interesting data, Larian really found itself a gold mine with Divinity: Original Sin, and the second one is going strong too considering it's still in early access.
The success of Divinity is encouraging, and I hope other developers take notice that players are more interested in solid gameplay than bullshit writing

Kz3r0

Arcane
Grimoire has sold more than five thousand copies.
Darkest dungeon has sold more than a million and half copies.
PoE has sold below that.
Legend of Grimrock has sold more than a million copies.
Shadowrun Hong Kong sold more tha half a million copies.
The other tiers will be adjourned later on.

skycycle

Educated
Time for a quick update via Steamspy, a few days into the Steam Summer Sale:

Tyranny owners - 204,355 ± 12,470
Torment: Tides of Numenera owners - 125,282 ± 9,764

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition owners - 32,466 ± 4,971 (released Apr 11, 2017)
Expeditions: Vikings owners - 31,470 ± 4,894 (released Apr 27, 2017)

Here is a little update on a few titles, 2 months after my last post:

Tyranny owners - 240,505 ±16,739
Torment: Tides of Numenera owners - 150,696 ±13,251

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition owners - 45,666 ±7,295
Expeditions: Vikings owners - 43,230 ±7,098

Tyranny continues to sell better than Torment and has moved up one tier, firmly in 200k+ territory, though it has slowed down a bit. With the expansion coming out in a few days we should see an increase in sales, especially if there is a significant price drop to mark the occasion.

Small side-note: Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition has now surpassed Torment according to Steamspy - current owners are 154,654 ±13,424.

===============

Some more data below, starting with the 100-200k tier:

Hard West has surpassed 200,000 owners - currently at 218,890 ± 15,969
Shadow Tactics remains under that mark - currently at 180,531 ± 14,503
Expeditions: Conquistador - currently at 161,960 ± 13,737
The Banner Saga 2 - currently at 153,741 ± 13,384

50-100k tier:

UnderRail has surpassed 100,000 owners - currently at 114,468 ± 11,549
Battle Brothers has surpassed 100,000 owners - currently at 100,769 ± 10,836
Age of Decadence - currently at 95,593 ± 10,554 (but according to devs it is over 100k as well, so +1 tier too)
Paper Sorcerer - currently at 92,244 ± 10,368
STASIS has entered this tier as well - currently at 51,145 ± 7,720

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good to see tyranny is doing better.

The game is mediocre, but i love the idea. With morr sales, i hope they put up a sequel/new ip with more meat and polish, and refine the synergy of the ideas more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom