Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nox: Opinions?

Baxter

Novice
I recently played through it again. Why, I don't know. There is no doubt it is definitely FUN, but I don't think it is a game you will find yourself replaying multiple times. I had much more fun with it the first time through than the 2nd.

It does some pretty cool things, but like others have said...gameplay gets old kind of quickly.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Resurrecting an old thread here rather than creating a new one.

I just finished Nox yesterday, and it was a fun 15-20 hour diversion. I really enjoyed it as a mindless action RPG. I actually enjoyed it more than the original Diablo, since I actually employed several tactics instead of just mindlessly clicking almost 100% of the time.

Positives:
+ The game doesn't treat itself seriously. I had a good chuckle during the initial cut scene when the antagonist is casting a spell and runs into a problem at the climax of the conjuration.
+ The skills are pretty useful throughout the whole game, even for the pure warrior class.
+ The enemy types just become more plentiful as the game continues. Some scrubs you fight in the beginning are still thrown at you towards the end, but you get diminishing amounts of XP for the weaker enemy kills as your level increases.
+ There are techniques and weapons to employ against various enemies. Smart employment of skills, melee weapons, and ranged attacks will carry you through enemy swarms if used properly.
+ There are a number of puzzles in the game that I enjoyed solving. Nothing really hard, but they are used often enough to change things up from the hacking and slashing.
+ When you die, there are cut scenes where the antagonists mocks you, with a different speech at each stage. She hams it up just right to be enjoyable.

Negatives:
- The game is too easy nearly to a fault. If you are looking for a true challenge you won't find it here. If you want to just play for a fun distraction, this won't bother you.
- Items that give regeneration and healing potions are incredibly prevalent as loot. I think I would have preferred better more of a capacity to hold more healing potions and some more shops, making pre-mission preparation more important.
- You don't receive XP for killing your foes with traps. I thought I was pretty clever in defeating some tough foes with traps and would have liked some credit for doing so.
- Warriors can't use certain mundane weapons and armor. This shouldn't bother me as much as it does. I understand that a wizard may not be comfortable with a sword, but why penalize a warrior from using a bow and arrow or staff?
- I miss Westwood. :cry:

Anyway, if you want an easy and quick distraction between larger more complex games, Nox is not a bad choice at all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just make sure to play Ranger. Want to charm them ogre ladies to run and kill those wolves for you.
Also FIST

Although Wizard gets best ending lol.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
This game was the birth of MOBAs and the multiplayer was so much fun. Never played the single player. I own the game but the single player looks boring.

Beastro

Arcane
I'd like to see a game plot that's the reverse of this with some fantasy types getting sucked into our world and showing how powerful magic would be against firearms, and eventually modern military equipment.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
Just make sure to play Ranger Conjurer. Want to charm them ogre ladies to run and kill those wolves for you.
Also FIST

Although Wizard gets best ending lol.

I pretty much never charmed enemies and always summoned 1-2 meaty guys and let them take care of anything : ) Giant scorpions were quite reliable. And the Wizard extermination mission was pretty cool, though I thought it was more fun being a wizard and slaughtering the fire knights. Horrendous doesn't get as much screen time/seem to care about your character vs Horvath.

Renfri

Cipher
Game has aged really well, just finished Conjurer campaign and it was so much fun. Intro cinematic was funnier than TOW tbh. Only complain I have about game was last boss, which was more annoying than fun or challenging.

:4/5:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
The single player was fun, I remember mostly the final boss, but not a lot of the game itself.
Where the game shines the most is the multiplayer.
It has the best 2D game multiplayer in video game history.
It's like the counter strike of 2D capture the flag or death match.

Crispy's Boyfriend

How did the game age? Is it still worth playing for the first time after all those years, or will it seem to be extremely outdated to a greenhorn?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I played it for the first time quite recently. The warrior was very fun, but I didn't have as much fun with the next character (conjurer, I think), possible because the first playthrough was too fresh in my mind.
But overall it pales compared to Diablo 2, which I also (re)played more recently.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I would say Nox is only superficially similar to diablo.
It plays more like an Action RPG, and Diablo is more like a cookie clicker(lololol).

Silly Germans

I don't get the comparisons with Diablo. It plays very differently with its direct controls.
Neither does it have any sort of grinding for items, which is a major gameplay element
of most action rpgs like Diablo, nor is it intended for multiple playthrough's with the same
character simply to gear up.
It offers a good hand crafted single player experience, rather than grinding random content.
It also had more secrets and stuff to discover, which Diablo exempt the cow level
doesn't feature. It also features some differences in the story progression depending on the
class that you pick, making the three choices from which you can pick you can pick somewhat different.
It was surprisingly good, given that it was Westwoods first attempt at an isometric
action rpg and it's a shame that it has no successor.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, both are "isometric" single character real time RPGs, so there's more similarities than differences, I think. At least to me who usually play turn based games or FPS.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Nox was more actiony than diablo.
Diablo was based around some sort of grid, and diablo two might have a more tetrahedron grid.
Nox was more free movement, and free aiming. You can shoot at a direction and miss. In diablo you can only click on enemies, your aim don't matter as long as you click the enemy's click area.
Edit: correction, I think you can press control and click anywhere to shoot in diablo.
But still, it's not the free aiming like in Nox.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nox was more actiony than diablo.
Diablo was based around some sort of grid, and diablo two might have a more tetrahedron grid.
Nox was more free movement, and free aiming. You can shoot at a direction and miss. In diablo you can only click on enemies, your aim don't matter as long as you click the enemy's click area.
also jumping

I'd say Nox is quite similar to singleplayer Diablo 1. Arguably more similar than Diablo 2. Which is ironic because Nox and Diablo 2 both took the Diablo 1 formula and significantly action-ized it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'd say Nox is quite similar to singleplayer Diablo 1. Arguably more similar than Diablo 2. Which is ironic because Nox and Diablo 2 both took the Diablo 1 formula and significantly action-ized it.
It have nothing in common with diablo games. I don't know what is with people that call everything remotely action a diablo like/clone???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom