Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Geneforge 2

Severian Silk

I tried to play it, but it reminded me too much of every other Spidwerweb game in existence.

Beastro

Arcane
It's more of Geneforge 1 except not quite as good.

While technically true it still is a good game and not one of the bad ones in the series (Which I think only 3 really belongs to).

What it comes down to though is there's more to do in it but the story isn't as engaging as GF1s. Different kind of side quests are expanded upon, like the trial with a nice item at the end that has a series of increasingly higher lv mobs to kill as well as the use of canisters now playing a role in the ending of the game (using one gives a bit of a bad personal ending, using too many gives a really bad one, IIRC). I don't know about the Guardian, but Shapers got a few more kinds of pets to use while Agents got a few more spells.

Being an Agent player I got the most experience with them and they are really nice, the early poison spell allowing you to "dot kite" in the old fashion that MMOs like EQ let you do that lets you take on encounters a bit above your level if you have the patience for it. Being able to do that in a game after so many since the early 2000s have systematically removed the players ability to do things like that, since it goes against the way they intend their games to be played really made the game enjoyable and encouraged me to tinker more with it whenever I could.

With that said the story isn't as great and feels more like a continued bridging of the series as it works towards its eventual open war, though the way it goes about it showing how things are slowly going sideways for both Rebels and Shapers (why I was 100% for the Shapers and wiped out everyone but the loyal village in the first game, to stop the madness before it began) is engaging.

If you enjoyed GF1, play it. After that it's up to you if you want to endure GF3.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I felt it was fairly good in its own right. My favorites are still Geneforge 1 and Escape from the Pit

Severian Silk

I liked Avernums 4-6 well enough. The Geneforges are very repetitive however. There's too much similarity between them all.

Beastro

Arcane
I liked Avernums 4-6 well enough. The Geneforges are very repetitive however. There's too much similarity between them all.

It is more apparent that you're sweeping from zone to zone using them up for content before moving onto the next with many existing just for you to wipe the mobs in them out.

Beyond that, there's the reused assists, but that doesn't bother me if that's a part of what you meant.

Severian Silk

If you were shown screenshots of all of the different games you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Whereas it's pretty easy to tell BG apart from IWD just by looking, despite the two games sharing mostly the same tech.

And moving between sectors in the Geneforges is a lot like a spreadsheet. Most of them have standard NWSE exits and are almost positioned like in a grid. (If it was a real and actual grid like in JA2, however, it maybe wouldn't have been so bad.)

almondblight

Arcane
I didn't like Geneforge 2 nearly as much as Geneforge 1. The story is somewhat nonesensical (that the Shapers wouldn't notice all the stuff going on), and the maps divided into 4 quadrants of 4 factions that are all roughly similar (main city, lab, a few small outposts). And with all Vogel games, it suffers from a lot of similar filler content you've felt like you've done plenty of times before. Still an OK-ish game though.

nimateb

Augur
I think my personal ranking went something like 5>2>4>1>3, all except 3 being great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom