Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I never lost hope.

Qv2UDHX.png

amstream
avifil32
binkw32
devenum

dirac
directmusic
directplay
dmsynth
dpvoice
dsound

ffdshow
gdiplus
gdiplus_winxp
icodecs
l3codecx
mfc42
msvcirt
quartz
vcrun2008
vcrun2010
vcrun6sp6
vcrun6

Probably massive overkill, but I thought I'd try an avalanche to see whether it worked and then prune back. I've bolded the ones that seem most likely to have fixed the problem.

Thanks I'm pretty much a GUItard so I installed Steam via PlayOnLinux then followed these instructions for the wine prefix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxEBrZcqmZg (maybe not necessary?) and then installed these components:

devenum
directmusic
directplay
dmsynth
dsound

(maybe you need even less)

ITZ working :)

Vagiel

Augur
I guess I'll wait for the new binary since my game crashes any time I click on any portrait.
Try to click on all the character portraits until you find one that doesn't crash. After that all are working OK.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

jungl

Augur
so whats the ideal party size should I have 6 or 8. Do I need a cleric, can I muscle my way through encounters without heals?

Viata

Arcane
Good news men. DECLINE, my Grimoire Stat/Item Editor has been confirmed to work in the Release version.

The implication being this is just the SuperDemo released as a full game?

I don't know. But the offsets and such I used hasn't changed. Reported as working by a tester who now has the full version of Grimoire.

Zep--
Make an OP party to see if this game can be finished. I want to buy it, but I want to know if I can finish it. Waiting for 600 is too much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grimoire: No joke this time, it’s finally launched. For realsies.
Posted by Rampant Coyote on August 4, 2017

I can’t make fun of the eternal vaporware that was Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar anymore.

It’s out.

See for yourself.

I only played it for about fifteen minutes before work, so I can’t really comment much on it. Hopefully there’s a big ol’ manual to go with it, because just from the get-go there’s a lot that probably needs to be explained. That won’t be out until next week, though. But I kinda followed my nose and created a few characters, without knowing what some of the stats meant.

I did run into a couple of bugs / polish issues already. The windowed view isn’t well-behaved (outside of the window… I’m talking O.S. behavior like moving the screen around, not anything internal), and the NEXT button didn’t gray out when you come to the last page of text. Minor issues, of course, but running into them in the first few minutes of play isn’t the most encouraging thing.

But in the grand scheme of things… whatever. I’m looking forward to seeing what this monstrous title (yet which has a tiny footprint on one’s hard drive) has in store. So far, it looks like Wizardry 7.5, which is kinda where its roots are, and I respect that.

Like I said before, it’s going to be impossible for any game to live up to being worthy of a nearly 25-year development cycle. Especially one heralded by such a boisterous and boastful voice as Cleveland Mark Blakemore. You know what? Screw it. It won’t. He’s probably going to be dogpiled by people wanting to tear it down for no other reason than he’s been a pretty obnoxious character for a couple of decades.

But… whatever. He released the game. That’s a major achievement, even in today’s era of cheap-and-easy game engines (which I don’t believe he used). That’s usually a pretty humbling experience on its own. So… credit where it is due. Congratulations to Cleve on releasing the game! Hopefully it will provide some fodder for discussion here on the Tales of the Rampant Coyote.

I’ll just leave with… huh. A race of humanoids with a giant eyeball for a head? Okay, at least the races aren’t just straight from Middle Earth. Different and fresh is good! But… man, an eyeball? This is going to be interesting!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I have only 5% idea of what is going on there, I never played such old games as Wizardry.
So I hit on twitch to see what is this game like.
First thing I saw was link to MEGA in chat. Turns out it's for real 40 MB game.
Gonna play and see if this is playable for anyone except the RPG Zealots

jfunk

Augur
All reported bugs patched and update issued within 120 minutes of Grimoire going live.

Cleve, can you tell me if there will be any difference between a purchased Steam key and a backer key? I'm afraid if I buy a key now and have it linked to my Steam account, then give my backer key away later I may miss out on something.

I'm going to buy multiple copies to gift regardless, but I'll have to wait until after backer keys are sent if it's important to have that specific key linked to my Steam account.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Main Menu music is okay but going into configuration menu, turning it to 0 on the music slider, and hitting apply doesn't actually change the music volume.
All of the menus look pretty bad. Something that would be seen in a early access game or early tech demo.
No obvious way to make a new party. The library button seems to be where that is located. The party creation screen itself is extremely simplistic in design. There is no way to save a party, changing heroes is done on a sliding bar, and the list of available portraits is very limited even when it shows Dragon portraits for a human character.
Character creation is tedious and hardly seems worth the time. Compared to other CRPGs this is worse than something from the 90s.
No tooltips on any buttons so you have to just randomly click things to see what they do. The story writing is decent at best. "You wake up and cant remember anything (how original lol) ooh but you feel danger for a second but then you cant even remember that"
Basically every aspect of the interface and menu is awkward to use. The ESC button doesnt exit you from menus and a dozen other things.
Combat is just not engaging at all and really slow. The enemies I ran into didnt even damage my quick start party which all had almost the exact same attack spells. With no manual or explanation of game mechanics at all its just about randomly trying things to see what happens.
The dev claims 600 hours of gameplay and I believe them. It would take you almost half of that just to learn the clunky interface, irrational stats, and random crashes.
All of the graphics are terrible. I don't mean like because its 8 bit or whatever its terrible, I actually like the retro look in games, I just mean its terribly and lazily done. The animations are a joke with things just disappearing or showing a red star shape as a explosion when they disappear which looks like it was pulled out of ms paint.
The starting area is really boring with one or two textures used in the entire thing. its no wonder the game is less than 100mbs, there is very little content here that isnt just text.
Tried to exit to post this review and there isn't even a way to leave the game. No exit button, esc key does nothing, and after clicking on everything on the screen I just gave up and closed it through task manager.

TLDR:
There are so many better games to play out there right now. This one isn't worth the time. The dev promised to deliver a well polished gem but this is a unpolished turd that is hardly different from the super demo he released years ago.

Nuclear-Explosion-001.jpg

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
:despair:

If it's not just the demo and the game can be finished I gotta apologize for calling Cleve a fat, lying fraud.

PEACH

Arbiter
played for an hour and a half so far and I've really been enjoying it. only crash I had was when using a quick start party and clicking their portraits, once I rolled my own guys everything's been smooth as silk. still getting the hang of it but I'm looking forward to putting the next 598.5 hours in :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom