Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In Aquavia there are 3 dials in a room, after you kill the Serpent. Is there a hint within this dungeon to solve this?

Edit: There's a poem in the second level that probably is the answer, but currently I'm fighting Shiva-Han-Goromu.

The hint on the poem (sum moon star) does not work for me so I am probably doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

The combination - sun moon star - works, but it doesn't do anything in this room in particular.
It allows you to use a switch in the lower level.

Noddy

Augur
Anyone got the stat requirements for class changing? I'm just throwing points around and hoping right now.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Going to be some hardcore restarts once Cleve gets that manual going. I thought INT was the mana pool stat and pumped that at char creation. Luckily all mine are still at level 1 so not exactly far in!

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Going to be some hardcore restarts once Cleve gets that manual going. I thought INT was the mana pool stat and pumped that at char creation. Luckily all mine are still at level 1 so not exactly far in!
same-

I use INT for my arcane casters and DEV for the cleric... Ive already restarted a bunch though and plan a restart when we get the manual anyhow so...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
iqzulk compiled this info in RTF-files, so I'll repost it here (with a bit of reformatting):

Classes

Martial_skill_point_multiplier / Physical_skill_point_multiplier / Mental_skill_point_multiplier

Skill_point_multiplier_Sum / XP_requirement for Level 2 / Patron

Assassin The Assassin is the master of lethal arts of murder and poisoning.

1.0/0.8/0.5

2.3/ 2100 XP/patron: Night

Bard The Bard is a wandering performer who acquires many skills in his journeys.

0.4/1.0/0.3

1.7/ 1250 XP/patron: Harmony

Berserker The Berserker is a barbarian who manifests a terrible bloodlust in battle.

1.0/0.7/0.4

2.1/ 1000 XP/patron: Skulls

Cleric The Cleric server a deity and acquires holy power through prayer and devotion.

0.2/0.5/1.0

1.7/ 1250 XP/patron: Light

Jester The Jester is no laughing matter, often sending foes to death with a smile.

1.0/0.7/0.6

2.3/ 2400 XP/patron: Mirth

Metalsmith The Metalsmith studies the construction, use and employment of weapons.

1.0/0.5/0.4

1.9/ 850 XP/patron: Anvils

Necromancer The Necromancer learns unholy secrets by consulting with the dead and demons.

0.1/0.1/1.0

1.2/ 1800 XP/patron: Death

Pirate The Pirate is a seafaring rogue who hungers for swordplay, robbery and booty.

1.0/0.6/0.4

2.0/ 1400 XP/patron: Oceans

Ranger The Ranger acquires his skills in the forest, tracking animals and hunting.

0.7/1.0/0.3

2.0/ 900 XP/patron: Nature

Sage The Sage is an avid scholar who strives to unearth the riches found in books.

0.1/0.1/1.0

1.2/ 750 XP/patron: Truth

Templar The Templar is a holy knight who quests after adventure and good deeds.

1.0/0.5/0.3

1.8/ 1350 XP/patron: Swords

Thaumaturge The Thaumaturge harnesses the primitive forces of nature and the elements.

0.1/0.4/1.0

1.5/ 1150 XP/patron: Earth

Thief The Thief develops expertise in the arts of robbery and skullduggery.

0.5/1.0/0.4

1.9/ 850 XP/patron: Shadows

Warrior The Warrior pursues mastery of all martial arts to secure victory in combat.

1.0/0.5/0.2

1.7/ 1000 XP/patron: Valor

Wizard The Wizard practices the ancient arts of magic, weaving spells and illusions.

0.1/0.4/1.0

1.5/ 1200 XP/patron: Magic

15 Classes Total:

7 Martial classes: Assassin, Berserker, Jester, Metalsmith, Pirate, Templar, Warrior.

3 Physical classes: Bard, Ranger, Thief.

5 Mental classes: Cleric, Necromancer, Sage, Thaumaturge, Wizard.

Classes sorted by total skill gains (and XP to level up to 2nd level):

Assassin 2.3
2100 XP

Jester 2.3
2400 XP

Berserker 2.1

Ranger 2.0

Pirate 2.0

Metalsmith 1.9

Thief 1.9

Templar 1.8

Warrior 1.7

Bard 1.7

Cleric 1.7

Thaumaturge 1.5

Wizard 1.5

Sage 1.2

Necromancer 1.2

Classes sorted by XP required for Level 2:

Jester 2400

Assassin 2100

Necromancer 1800

Pirate 1400

Templar 1350

Bard 1250

Cleric 1250

Wizard 1200

Thaumaturge 1150

Berserker 1000

Warrior 1000

Ranger 900

Metalsmith 850

Thief 850

Sage 750

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Skills

Martial skills (12):

Archery The ability to draw and fire a bow with sufficient skill to strike a target.

(10:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Axe&Scimitar The skill of wielding large edged weapons in battle.

(10:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Backstabbing The ability to surprise an opponent from behind with a weapon.

(06:Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Thief)

Bladesmanship The skill of fighting with a knife or short ranged weapon in melee.

(14:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Hammer&Mace Prowess with blunt weapons used to bludgeon or smash an opponent in combat.

(12:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior)

Lash&Chain The skill of wielding extension weapons like the whip, chain and lash in combat.

Metallurgy The ability to forge powerful weapons and to construct them from components.

(02:Metalsmith,Sage)

Shield The defensive art of blocking attacks and missiles with the shield in combat.

(11:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Slings&Bolas The art of wielding and using weapons that are flung or that fling projectiles.

(15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Spear&Lance Skill at wielding extended weapons in combat.

Staff&Rod Skill at wielding the staff, rod and wand in battle.

(15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Swordsmanship Prowess with long, narrow edged weapons in battle.

Martial skills sorted by rarity:

Metallurgy (02:Metalsmith,Sage)

Backstabbing (06:Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Thief)

Archery (10:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Axe&Scimitar (10:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Lash&Chain (10:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Spear&Lance (10:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Swordsmanship (10:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Shield (11:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thief,Warrior)

Hammer&Mace (12:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior)

Bladesmanship (14:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Slings&Bolas (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Staff&Rod (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Physical skills (17):

Accuracy Assists in hitting a target when throwing, shooting or firing a projectile.

(02 Metalsmith,Ranger)

Berserking A deadly art involving a special method of attack with weapons in combat.

(01:Berserker)

Climbing The physical skill of climbing wals, ascending cliffs and dropping into pits.

Evasion The ability to make a safe strategic retreat without injury during combat.

Hand-to-Hand The adeptness with which one fights when unarmed in combat.

Inspection The art of divining the workings, weaknesses and design of mechanical devices.

Lethal Blow The knowledge of critical body areas and targets needed to strike a fatal blow.

(06:Assassin,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger)

Lockpicking The art of picking locks on doors and chests.

(07:Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Thief)

Music Proficiency in playing musical instruments and keeping harmony.

(03:Bard,Jester,Sage)

Ninjitsu The secret art of fighting with open hands to inflict maximum damage on a foe.

(02:Assassin,Jester)

Powerstrike A martial arts techinque involving concentrating force in a single hand blow.

(02:Assassin,Jester)

Robbery The larcenous art of relieving strangers of their valuables without discovery.

(05:Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Thief)

Scout The ability to scout hidden features while exploring unfamiliar areas.

Stealth The ability to hide oneself amidst shadows or behind terrain features.

Swimming The physical ability to ford deep water without drowning.

Throwing The skill of throwing objects so as to strike a target.

Trickery The art of using props and pranks to beguile or defeat opponents in combat.

(01:Jester)

Physical skills sorted by rarity:

Berserking (01:Berserker)

Trickery (01:Jester)

Accuracy (02 Metalsmith,Ranger)

Ninjitsu (02:Assassin,Jester)

Powerstrike (02:Assassin,Jester)

Music (03:Bard,Jester,Sage)

Robbery (05:Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Thief)

Lethal Blow (06:Assassin,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger)

Lockpicking (07:Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Thief)

Climbing (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Evasion (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Hand-to-Hand (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Inspection (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Scout (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Stealth (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Swimming (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Throwing (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Mental skills (15):

Alchemistry The magical study of the four elements of fire, air, water and earth.

(06:Assassin,Berserker,Metalsmith,Ranger,Thaumaturge,Thief)

Ancient History Knowledge concerning the distant past of customs, peoples, locations and events.

(01:Sage)

Arcanum The study of the most powerful, dangerous and arcane magic secrets and spells.

(06:Bard,Cleric,Necromancer,Sage,Thaumaturge,Wizard)

Assaying The knack of identifying and classifying items according to their properties.

Barter The ability to bargain with merchants and get the fairest price in commerce.

Diplomacy The art of negotiation necessary to interact with intelligent creatures.

(05:Cleric,Metalsmith,Pirate,Sage,Templar)

Incantation The ability to recite spells written on scrolls and cast the successfully.

Invocation The ability to properly summon and target the magical powers of an item.

Litany The holy study of divine prayers that lead to power and favour with the gods.

(02:Cleric,Templar)

Mephistics The art of applying poison to weapons so as to increase their effectiveness.

(09:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Thaumaturge,Thief)

Mythology The knowledge of legends and lore concerning strange creatures and beings.

Nature Lore The art of identifying and mixing ingredients in plants, powders and reagents.

(03:Ranger,Sage,Thaumaturge)

Necromancy Communication with the spirits of the dead and demons to acquire occult secrets.

(01:Necromancer)

Scribe Degree of literacy with written works and ability to accurately copy scrolls.

Sorcery The magical art of memorizing and casting spells.

(06:Bard,Jester,Pirate,Sage,Warrior,Wizard)

Mental skills sorted by rarity:

Ancient History (01:Sage)

Necromancy (01:Necromancer)

Litany (02:Cleric,Templar)

Nature Lore (03:Ranger,Sage,Thaumaturge)

Diplomacy (05:Cleric,Metalsmith,Pirate,Sage,Templar)

Sorcery (06:Bard,Jester,Pirate,Sage,Warrior,Wizard)

Alchemistry (06:Assassin,Berserker,Metalsmith,Ranger,Thaumaturge,Thief)

Arcanum (06:Bard,Cleric,Necromancer,Sage,Thaumaturge,Wizard)

Mephistics (09:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Thaumaturge,Thief)

Assaying (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Barter (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Incantation (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Invocation (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Mythology (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Scribe (15:Assassin,Bard,Berserker,Cleric,Jester,Metalsmith,Necromancer,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Templar,Thaumaturge,Thief,Warrior,Wizard)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
From: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s65dktw1by2s769/Grimoire Planner.xlsx?dl=0

General info on each class:

image.jpg

Stats for each race:

image.jpg

How many stat points you need to roll to get a Race & Class combination you want:

image.jpg

Race & Class combinations with 1st, 2nd and 3rd best marked:

image.jpg

Note: This info is from the superdemo and it doesn't include the "career paths" modifiers for some race/class combinations - for example, a Durendil Templar requires 30 points which doubles with the x2 modifier.

Last edited:

youhomofo

Augur
So I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but my two frontliners are paralyzed, diseased, and insane. Is that what happens if you don't treat the disease right away?

Any way to save 'em? I can't feed them apples or give them potions since they're paralyzed, I guess. Cure Lt. Condition does nothing. Haven't reached town yet. Can someone there heal them? Resting two days didn't seem to help.

mondblut

Arcane
So, what necromancer is useful for, anyway? Spells (starting, anyway) can be learned by others. Item restrictions are same as with other casters. XP costs are through the roof, skill gains are negligible. What's an advantage of having a necromancer instead of a wizard, thaumaturge or sage?

mondblut

Arcane
So I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but my two frontliners are paralyzed, diseased, and insane. Is that what happens if you don't treat the disease right away?

Yes, disease develops over time, causing other conditions to appear.

Any way to save 'em? I can't feed them apples or give them potions since they're paralyzed, I guess. Cure Lt. Condition does nothing. Haven't reached town yet. Can someone there heal them? Resting two days didn't seem to help.

Your only hope short of developing your healer for a bunch of levels until he has all the curative spells is finding some scrolls for sale at Magus Trimestes' (or looting them from random chests). In other words, you're pretty fucked.

Perhaps putting them to cold storage in shrine of the raptor by replacing them with npcs would stop further deterioration until you have what it takes to cure them.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The fights over this game will be glorious! They will make PoE fights look pale in comparison.

jungl

Augur
rolled a drake warrior came unarmed and went with it. They can make unarmed attacks with their tail does decent damage possibly more then clawing.

youhomofo

Augur
Perhaps putting them to cold storage in shrine of the raptor by replacing them with npcs would stop further deterioration until you have what it takes to cure them.

Fuck that. Time to reroll. I knew I should have used those apples, but the Jew in me said to save them for later. Derp.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So, what necromancer is useful for, anyway? Spells (starting, anyway) can be learned by others. Item restrictions are same as with other casters. XP costs are through the roof, skill gains are negligible. What's an advantage of having a necromancer instead of a wizard, thaumaturge or sage?

Maybe they're the ones who can get access to the hidden spell category?

Blightor

Novice

Fuck that. Time to reroll. I knew I should have used those apples, but the Jew in me said to save them for later. Derp.
Save after each fight, dont get hit (ever) by worms. No starter characters can cure disease, which is what the problems is. They disease you with a bite, then shortly after (1 turn) your characters start to go insane and paralyzed (and a bunch of other statuses) - this is permanent until the disease is gone. There are lots of these in the Prison starting position - its been a hard long slog getting out of there, as you also have to fight soldiers in the armory afterwards. Armoury has some good items though :)

Andy B

Novice
In Aquavia there are 3 dials in a room, after you kill the Serpent. Is there a hint within this dungeon to solve this?

Edit: There's a poem in the second level that probably is the answer, but currently I'm fighting Shiva-Han-Goromu.

The hint on the poem (sum moon star) does not work for me so I am probably doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

The combination - sun moon star - works, but it doesn't do anything in this room in particular.
It allows you to use a switch in the lower level.

Thanks. Much appreciated

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Anyone have any idea what that shrine on the bottom level of Shrine of the Raptor does?

lorn

Educated
How many stat points you need to roll to get a Race & Class combination you want:

Your sheet is wrong, Durendil Templar requires only 30points, i already made one.

Damn, really? I thought a max roll for durendil would allow templar, but after around a thousand rolls never getting anything above 27 I gave up and went with a cleric to develop into a templar later.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Anyone have any idea what that shrine on the bottom level of Shrine of the Raptor does?

Is it the owl shaped shrine? It can assay items.

There's a shrine-like area right before that, you step in it and it plays a slightly annoying sound effect over and over while flashing lights at you. I have no idea what it does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom