Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Cyler Rubin

Educated
Baxander loves the game!

And he just invented a new term: The intermediate review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDMePHOMRt4

Hehe, actually when I saw Grimoire come out on Steam I looked it up on youtube to see if I could refresh my memory for what it was and found all his videos about why it was never coming out, it was rather funny.

Biggus

Scholar
Is it just me, or is everyone having issues with the character in slot 2 (top right portrait) almost exclusively getting attacked?
I find my fighter in slot 1 almost never gets attacked.

Not just you. In my newest incarnation, exactly the same thing happens. Crackerjack coding?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Its kind of a mess in that regard because I know theres things right now that are missing for me (like the neanderthal monument) that were there in version 1 and I have no idea if its really missing and should be there (but my version number I started in is not right) or theres some reason its not there that is not because of a bug- Like starting area being different.

Not sure if it's related but my girlfriend and I have been playing and when we found an obelisk in gardens of midknight we couldn't interact with it at all and she was asking about it a bunch. Should we be able to get some flavour text or what? The hand icon comes up but it's as though it's not an object that has any non cosmetic properties

That's a moongate. Later on you will use it to jump around the world.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I noticed too that the second character takes most hits.

Btw does anybody have any details on the difficulty levels? Sofar doing restarts, and just do a couple of fights to check out the party. Started on novice, then veteran and now advanced. Ill leave superhero for now, that maybe a troll level difficulty. I think i saw a difference in mob composition but not sure. So how does this work, do enemies get more hps or is there something else?

GandGolf

Augur
No idea why this happened... I always was supportive of the game and even defended it from trolls many times. My post today was "I'll probably gift grimoire this Christmas and will be happy to do it at full price"

Awe3M5v.png

Maybe you should send Cleve a private message on the Codex and ask him why he banned you from the Steam Forums.

jfunk

Augur
I haven't made a point of paying close attention (I will now), but my initial impression is that my warrior in slot 1 is taking noticeably more of the hits than my berserker in slot 2.

donnus

Literate
Thanks to this game I am playing Wizardry 7 for my initial play. I'm not good at it but mostly am just interested in these games. I'm a musician and I play these games to just learn about role playing in general, which I consider very interesting and imaginative. This release has had a big influence on me despite that I am not playing Grimoire, and can't even really play it right now since I use a Mac. I am also poor atm. I intend to buy it in the future after beating Wizardry 7.

That said I am honestly slightly curious how the fuck you guys figure stuff out, like story/puzzle wise. I like to think I'm intelligent but I think I am not getting deep into the game enough. I just want to keep killing shit and I have no idea where to look, get bored and look at a walkthrough. I doubt I'll ever really be the kind of person who plays entire games routinely just because my time is finite and mathematically there just isn't enough of it for me to play more than a few ...

I chose to put hundreds of hours into the seventh of the series over finishing the modern Fallout games because I felt that when reading about Grimoire, Cleve and others were onto something about Wizardry simply being a better and more rewarding gaming experience. I could play one or the other, but not both. I want Wizardry to be one of those games I actually finish, and I really think it belongs on the list of games that are widely known about today. I can't quite articulate why... it simply seems to me that until now this style of RPG had little mainstream following. I must say, once you can grasp what it's about, it's much more fun. I played Morrowind and I used to think that was the most dank gaming experience there was. I feel like if people had told me about this, and directed me in the proper direction, I would have saved a lot of my time and energy.

I feel like I can't be hardcore enough though. After an hour of wandering and leveling up and not being able to figure out who to talk to or whatever to do the next thing, I look at my wristwatch and think about how I am spending the small amount of time I have on this planet, and tend to look at a walkthrough. To be honest, I feel like that ruins it a bit. And I don't know to what extent that's my personal fault. I feel like to a large extent there is just absolutely no fucking way you could possibly figure out what to do next, and I'm at a major loss how people can play these games without folding and using walkthroughs. What the FUCK are you doing to progress without giving in and looking at the answer? Seriously. I hate to think of myself as a nerd or freak who sits around and takes games seriously, so that's probably why I am not giving in and getting all the way into it. This is some nerdy as fuck shit and I feel like the second I start getting that into it, I'll somehow render myself a permanently insta-virgin shut in. I mean I'm already halfway there I'm just scared to commit like that.

So just tell me how the fuck do you guys figure out how to progress in these games. I'm trashed

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
No idea why this happened... I always was supportive of the game and even defended it from trolls many times. My post today was "I'll probably gift grimoire this Christmas and will be happy to do it at full price"

Awe3M5v.png

Maybe you should send Cleve a private message on the Codex and ask him why he banned you from the Steam Forums.

I sent him a Steam message (has me as friend) and also he has been tagged here and likely has read the posts. If he hasn't done anything already I doubt he will. That's not a problem, one forum to shitpost on is enough and the level of tardism on Steam was unsurmountable. At least here there's interesting stuff shuffled with the manure.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't made a point of paying close attention (I will now), but my initial impression is that my warrior in slot 1 is taking noticeably more of the hits than my berserker in slot 2.

For me it was definitely about the same. Both ended up being hit.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Awe3M5v.png

I sent him a Steam message (has me as friend) and also he has been tagged here and likely has read the posts. If he hasn't done anything already I doubt he will. That's not a problem, one forum to shitpost on is enough and the level of tardism on Steam was unsurmountable. At least here there's interesting stuff shuffled with the manure.

Just letting you know: I made a post on Cleve's profile pointing this out.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
My 2nd char has definitely taken the brunt of the damage, but I just assumed it was because Cleve coded mobs to target the weaker character. I've swapped them now to see if the attacks still tend more toward the 2nd slot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks to this game I am playing Wizardry 7 for my initial play. I'm not good at it but mostly am just interested in these games. I'm a musician and I play these games to just learn about role playing in general, which I consider very interesting and imaginative. This release has had a big influence on me despite that I am not playing Grimoire, and can't even really play it right now since I use a Mac. I am also poor atm. I intend to buy it in the future after beating Wizardry 7.

That said I am honestly slightly curious how the fuck you guys figure stuff out, like story/puzzle wise. I like to think I'm intelligent but I think I am not getting deep into the game enough. I just want to keep killing shit and I have no idea where to look, get bored and look at a walkthrough. I doubt I'll ever really be the kind of person who plays entire games routinely just because my time is finite and mathematically there just isn't enough of it for me to play more than a few ...

I chose to put hundreds of hours into the seventh of the series over finishing the modern Fallout games because I felt that when reading about Grimoire, Cleve and others were onto something about Wizardry simply being a better and more rewarding gaming experience. I could play one or the other, but not both. I want Wizardry to be one of those games I actually finish, and I really think it belongs on the list of games that are widely known about today. I can't quite articulate why... it simply seems to me that until now this style of RPG had little mainstream following. I must say, once you can grasp what it's about, it's much more fun. I played Morrowind and I used to think that was the most dank gaming experience there was. I feel like if people had told me about this, and directed me in the proper direction, I would have saved a lot of my time and energy.

I feel like I can't be hardcore enough though. After an hour of wandering and leveling up and not being able to figure out who to talk to or whatever to do the next thing, I look at my wristwatch and think about how I am spending the small amount of time I have on this planet, and tend to look at a walkthrough. To be honest, I feel like that ruins it a bit. And I don't know to what extent that's my personal fault. I feel like to a large extent there is just absolutely no fucking way you could possibly figure out what to do next, and I'm at a major loss how people can play these games without folding and using walkthroughs. What the FUCK are you doing to progress without giving in and looking at the answer? Seriously. I hate to think of myself as a nerd or freak who sits around and takes games seriously, so that's probably why I am not giving in and getting all the way into it. This is some nerdy as fuck shit and I feel like the second I start getting that into it, I'll somehow render myself a permanently insta-virgin shut in. I mean I'm already halfway there I'm just scared to commit like that.

So just tell me how the fuck do you guys figure out how to progress in these games. I'm trashed

By using your brain.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I must say that I am taking my time playing Grimoire, 2 hours here 3 hours there and enjoying it tremendously
I know we Codexers are supposed to be edgy and whatever but it really warms my heart to see all sorts of users coming together without smartassery or KKK and simply enjoying the heck out of this game... maybe the fact I have retards like Zep and Drog on ignore has added an extra layer of fellowship here but still
I can safely say it is by far the best blobber since Wizardry 7 (yes that included 8) and easily my GOTY for 2017

donnus

Literate
the only thing that actually personally irritates me about Cleve and his frankly retardedly great work is that ... why not hire a God tier musician to write tunes and sound effects? bro I'll do shit for low price and I can lend your title a God tier audio realm that would push it. I mean I love the archaic MIDI effects and cheap shit you have going on. I actually honestly wouldn't say this unless I knew that my personal aesthetic ability would add to this. givn that I have a confused and deep sense of respect for this game and you as a person, frankly, despite our common retardedly crazy states at times (why beat up on the self) I am drunk but let me just be real, I could totally give you some shit if you are willing to pay a small fee of 150 GP to cross the bridge, feemee? feemeeeeee? the internet is a weird place

OK NOW HEAR ME OUT, CHRONO CROSS IS CONSIDERED THE BEST INTERACTIVE MEDIUM SOUNDTRACK OF ALL TIME

HOW MANY MUSICIANS AND COMPOSERS OUT THERE HAVE POINTED OUT THIS RARE FACT? I'LL ANSWER THAT FOR YOU: NONE

VGM COMPOSER Yasunori Mitsuda of CHRONO CROSS WAS "heavily inspired" by THE *ABSOLUTELY GENIUS AND UNDERRATED "prog rock" BAND* GENTLE GIANT

OK my forehead is getting sweaty from the shameful caps locks and drunken stupor I am in.

Now lets get down to the nugget, brohans...

Compare these two tracks and tell me that given the fact that the Gentle Giant song came out in 1970-something and the Chrono Cross track came out in 1988-something and our boy Mitsuda is considered the single most genius composer of video game audio-soundtracks that he may- just may - have been inspired by the same group that I am listening to and - as a similarly brilliant composer - am inspired by.

Tell it to my face.

Here are the songs:

Gentle Giant (song which inspired Mitsuda)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_xrN75riE
Chrono Cross (song which Mitsuda put this sound to use in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK4zcXbeTIA
(listen to the melodies you retarded assholes)

OK putting aside my arrogance, lets check off the "SUBJECTIVE" similarities (after all, art is "SUBJECTIVE BRO!"):
-time signature
-mediaval genre
-melody
-key signature
-melodic contour
-counterpoint line similarities

donnus

Literate
First review incomming:

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

yup watched that earlier. I have a great deal respect for this guy the fact that he actually 180s ... most people dont ever do that. his lets play is also quite good for a lets play

Dexter

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615862858084/
Grimoire 1.2.0.16 Update
Version 1.2.0.16
----------------------------------------

Big fix to a big bug! This should solve all the problems with the "Chance Keys"
you sometimes get in a blue moon from monsters! It should also fix several other
mysterious crashes.

After examining this problem closely I fixed it. A month ago I installed a Borland C++
compiler 5.0 on a Win 7 machine to recompile a utility used to port the treasure mix
database. I didn't know it at the time but there was a bug in the installer that assumed
quadword alignment for structures which overrode my compiler switch to use 1 byte
packed alignment. When the utility was run it generated a terrible mess which incredibly
actually worked most of the time, concealing the fact it was botched up. That data has
sat there a corrupt binary just waiting to cause trouble.

I wrote a new utility to sanitize and clean that file and write it out again. That's a 20 year
old file that was originally written the first time in Windows 3.1 editor I created with ancient
MS VC 1.0 compiler. It is now back to pristine clean binary data.

This should be one of the last kinds of bugs that causes a real assert. The other problems I have checked today invariably turn out to be people still trying to use savegames left over from 1.2.0.7 or config files messed up by bad data in that same build.

This should signify a new era of increasing stability in the game hopefully. I just skipped through a 14 hour playthrough on YouTube somebody made without a single bug encountered - that's the sort of thing I am hoping will be commonplace a week from now

0db898e66f18b9043dac3c14808a6c72169cd6ae5caae4f9130568dbeece740d.gif

donnus

Literate
one last thing, I was told elsewhere that there is a bug that makes it impossible to keep playing and win. IDK if its true or what I ust hope not cause I want to be able to say they're wrong, as it would be a pretty bad bug to defend

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
First review incomming:

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Why do they always bring up the development time? The game was NOT in development for 20 years, Mr Blakemore has stated that yeah he didnt touch the game for much of the 2000s until he wanted to get the demo and superdemo ready
And why bring up his personal life? Half of the artists I have met are crazy and the other are assholes; it takes a particular sort of person for this sort of thing but why is their personal views and life something we should be concerned with?
Freddy Mercury is perhaps the best frontman of all time and nobody cared if he was more gay that Peter Pan in a pair of skates
Dali was a histronic asshole who did sculptures made out of his own shit before he died and nobody cared
HP Lovecraft was a racist who thought all races besides whiteys were inferior and degenerate and yet he is beloved (and my favorite writer of all time too)
If people cannot separate the person from what they produce or somehow it "taints" their products then they sound like the idiots that say "dont buy nutella because they exploit poor african countries" or "Mr Blakemore is kind of crazy so his game must be shit"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom