Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

jfunk

Augur
So, are you suggesting that the X-Com remakes are better for having RNG, too?

Absolutely. Knowing the precise results of every action before you choose it in a combat simulation is stupid, IMO. It's good for Chess, not good for deciding whether or not I should try a really difficult shot when the consequences of failure might mean death. If knew I was going to hit 100% of the time, and I was going to do exactly X damage based on the damage resistance of the enemy, then there would be no tough calls to make anymore. What makes it exciting would simply be reduced to boring puzzle.

makchanka

Arbiter
:what:

The guy was a harmless shut-in who tempered his racist ways near the end of his life.

Oh, come on now. Little bit of boot never hurt anyone. It's good for you. Gets the blood flowing. Imagine if every gross shut-in nerd on 4chan took a good hiding. They'd be much more stable. Or they'd commit suicide. Or maybe they'd stay the same. Either way. Whatever.

Are you some kind of nigger?

No, I'm a beaner, retard.

makchanka

Arbiter
What will never be fixable: There is a huge gap in quality and style of the writing in Grimoire between the original Sirtech writers' work and what cleve added to the game. So if you value writing and immersion a great deal, stay away... but then you shouldn't play blobbers anyway.

While the edgy "stolen from Sir-Tech" routine never gets old, in this case I guess nobody can dispute that it does owe a large debt to the writer on Stones of Arnhem:

E5fOfa2.jpg

Honestly, most RPG fantasy plots are carbon-copies of each other anyway. How many times have you seen the "big bad thing comes back to shit all over happy villagers, so The Super Special Guys Team have to go get the Magic Plot Thing to get to the disappointing ending?"

makchanka

Arbiter
I really have to say, I am starting to hate the end-game battles with special passion.

the fuck? end game? There are just under 200 hours in the time since release. Are you rushing through it, ignoring quests, and poopsocking to make average time or are you taking your time with it, making the 600 hour thing bullshit?

donnus

Literate
I'm trashed

Without taking the piss... I bet you are young. If I am wrong, stop here and read the next post. Young people have been brought up with a borked 'value' and reward system. The reasons are too complex to go into here. Essentially, the way it is supposed to work is that hard = big reward, easy = no reward. Younger people were brought up with no 'hard', so they never get the reward that hard brings. Like I said, I am not being critical. I would no more look at a walkthrough than I would use Zep's trainer, because both take away the very thing that good games (this is one, despite flaws that a clown could see) provide... that being, a challenge. You aren't challenged, thus you get no reward, which in turn reinforces the whole thing in a negative feedback loop.

/lecture off

I wish you well. Play Wiz, and that might teach you the value of stuggle vs reward, then in a decade or two, when this game is finished, come play it and bask in its glory.

Note: no apostrophe in the above. It's a pronoun :P

majorly appreciate this post. I'm a lost soul - I'm not young but I was brought up during the Rainbow Age and it has had a majorly negative effect on me. i just love when people are real with me instead of being really sensitive / overly offended about stuf. I don't care about any of that, it's just my nature. you're totally right that we've lost that sense of challenging ourselves in a hardcore way, i feel like if that was revitalized without the ... uh ... (wrongthink term) culture today , it would be very good for our future. to a certain level. life shouldn't just be treated like a gigantic baby playpen

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Try starting a new thread there with your questions. I think there are people there who are quite far ahead.
The problem is, we all started on different versions it seems and now things are (potentially) messed up depending on when you started.

I just read a post by Cleve that the most recent version I restarted on will have problems, I think- I'm totally lost. restarted on version whatever 7 and then when that went bad I restarted on the next version and now just read that anything between 1.2.0.5 and 1.2.0.9 could have issues (with 1.2.0.9 being my latest restart I think- I'm totally lost tbh)

It sounds like everyone who doesnt have a game that started at the very first version could have problems.

Its kind of a mess in that regard because I know theres things right now that are missing for me (like the neanderthal monument) that were there in version 1 and I have no idea if its really missing and should be there (but my version number I started in is not right) or theres some reason its not there that is not because of a bug- Like starting area being different.

So, its really hard to know right now.

Neanderthal monument is back in. A very minor glitch in the CGX index, quickly fixed. 9400 logic points in the game, you're going to get a couple missing the right data which is not instantly obvious, only on loads of saves. Easy to fix, hopefully I have gotten any of them that count by now. Most of them again from rushing in final month. Old pointers are always meticulously and conspicuously perfect.

donnus

Literate
Some of the SuperID item descriptions are nice, since they're basically extended Cleve-ian rants :lol::
this is some of the best shit I've ever seen. really wish I could play this on my Mac. I know I'm probably slightly a loser for having a mac but I got it for music/video production and it works for that quite nicely

at least I can play Wiz 7 and other stuff for the time being. but man that writing, brilliant.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Cleveland Mark Blakemore You should really tone down Deep Freeze a bit. Killing bosses on stregth 1 or 2 kind of breaks the combat, even though some of the later ones are resistant to it.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
No idea why this happened... I always was supportive of the game and even defended it from trolls many times. My post today was "I'll probably gift grimoire this Christmas and will be happy to do it at full price"

Awe3M5v.png

Sorry, my time was limited and I was blasting SJWs with shotgun bans rapid-fire and you got struck in the crossfire. Will reinstate you.

You have to understand I was still in shock from losing my arm and replacing it with a chainsaw. The only difference is that SJWs are more terrifying entities than the evil dead.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleveland Mark Blakemore You should really tone down Deep Freeze a bit. Killing bosses on stregth 1 or 2 kind of breaks the combat, even though some of the later ones are resistant to it.

It is way overpowered. Kind of fun but too powerful. I think it needs the save against it beefed up with a bonus computed on two resistances instead of one so it still works the same way but fails more often. Some of the much tougher monster bosses just completely ignore it, they save against it 100%.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Try starting a new thread there with your questions. I think there are people there who are quite far ahead.
The problem is, we all started on different versions it seems and now things are (potentially) messed up depending on when you started.

I just read a post by Cleve that the most recent version I restarted on will have problems, I think- I'm totally lost. restarted on version whatever 7 and then when that went bad I restarted on the next version and now just read that anything between 1.2.0.5 and 1.2.0.9 could have issues (with 1.2.0.9 being my latest restart I think- I'm totally lost tbh)

It sounds like everyone who doesnt have a game that started at the very first version could have problems.

Its kind of a mess in that regard because I know theres things right now that are missing for me (like the neanderthal monument) that were there in version 1 and I have no idea if its really missing and should be there (but my version number I started in is not right) or theres some reason its not there that is not because of a bug- Like starting area being different.

So, its really hard to know right now.

Neanderthal monument is back in. A very minor glitch in the CGX index, quickly fixed. 9400 logic points in the game, you're going to get a couple missing the right data which is not instantly obvious, only on loads of saves. Easy to fix, hopefully I have gotten any of them that count by now. Most of them again from rushing in final month. Old pointers are always meticulously and conspicuously perfect.
Thank you good Sir =)

Now I can get back to playing.

donnus

Literate
>The first reaction of modern gamers when they get stuck on something is to blame it on poor design or claim it's a bug

This is somewhat true, but as a millennial piece of shit I'm going to at least provide what perhaps explains such issues:
we are literally living in a digital world today - and not in the sense that we are in some kind of Tron visualization of "DA VIRTUAL SPACE" - no. by reading the internet, having so much at our fingertips, our experience is no longer what it used to be. we might not be walking around inside of the "web" like virtual reality in Tron, but we honestly might as well be. it's like Videodrome... at a certain point what you view becomes you. when you look at the internet world - be it on your laptop or on your Amazon stick watching Netflix, Youtube, Twitch... eventually it might as well be, to some extent who you are.

what I'm saying is that we've become so used to living in the virtual world that in a way it has replaced our prior epistemology of "life" and "being" - we used to be people in mud huts playing with toys. and in some sense, we are now permanently connected to the mother source - the World Wide Web - WWW - DUBYADUBYADUBYA - whatever you want to call it. It's like the mother ship. And we're all feeding off of it like brainwashed ants. It's the TEAT. We're literally addicted to the suckle of permanent indulgence to the digital world. It has created in us a different belief system which informs all of our decisions ... for instance the vey idea of turning off our connection to The Mother ship W W W Dubya Dubya Dubya is almost alien to us. I think that Black Mirror actually depicted some of these things quite well (in retrospect). The mothership WWW owns us, when it should be we that own it.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So there are a bunch of lizard warriors with spears that can instakill you if they penetrate. This isn't a bug like with some other enemies, this is an effect called "impale".

There is one area where you get into a massive fight with 6 of the guys. Put up an armorplate spell and a missile shield. Surived, killed them all.
Right away, a second wave of 6 more comes at you.
Survived. Killed them all.
Then a third wave comes.
Survived, got a levelup on two of my chars.
ANOTHER WAVE SPAWNED
This time they got in a lucky hit, two of my chars died at full HP

I feel violated:negative:

You can fight the entire troglodyte nation over the tablet.

Or if you feel like it, there is a way to simply get them to allow you to pass. Grimoire always has multiple ways to solve the same problem. True grognards can walk about in casual dockers and manpants avoiding many critical combats. Other fights like Shelach and the Psychopomp are unavoidable.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
>The first reaction of modern gamers when they get stuck on something is to blame it on poor design or claim it's a bug

This is somewhat true, but as a millennial piece of shit I'm going to at least provide what perhaps explains such issues:
we are literally living in a digital world today - and not in the sense that we are in some kind of Tron visualization of "DA VIRTUAL SPACE" - no. by reading the internet, having so much at our fingertips, our experience is no longer what it used to be. we might not be walking around inside of the "web" like virtual reality in Tron, but we honestly might as well be. it's like Videodrome... at a certain point what you view becomes you. when you look at the internet world - be it on your laptop or on your Amazon stick watching Netflix, Youtube, Twitch... eventually it might as well be, to some extent who you are.

what I'm saying is that we've become so used to living in the virtual world that in a way it has replaced our prior epistemology of "life" and "being" - we used to be people in mud huts playing with toys. and in some sense, we are now permanently connected to the mother source - the World Wide Web - WWW - DUBYADUBYADUBYA - whatever you want to call it. It's like the mother ship. And we're all feeding off of it like brainwashed ants. It's the TEAT. We're literally addicted to the suckle of permanent indulgence to the digital world. It has created in us a different belief system which informs all of our decisions ... for instance the vey idea of turning off our connection to The Mother ship W W W Dubya Dubya Dubya is almost alien to us. I think that Black Mirror actually depicted some of these things quite well (in retrospect). The mothership WWW owns us, when it should be we that own it.

Black Mirror was so amazing and so disturbing that a year after you have watched some of those shows you think back to them and wince. If that's the future, I'm hiding in cyberspace with the beautiful lesbians in virtual world.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So there are a bunch of lizard warriors with spears that can instakill you if they penetrate. This isn't a bug like with some other enemies, this is an effect called "impale".

There is one area where you get into a massive fight with 6 of the guys. Put up an armorplate spell and a missile shield. Surived, killed them all.
Right away, a second wave of 6 more comes at you.
Survived. Killed them all.
Then a third wave comes.
Survived, got a levelup on two of my chars.
ANOTHER WAVE SPAWNED
This time they got in a lucky hit, two of my chars died at full HP

I feel violated:negative:
That's old-school RPG combat, allright.

They just keep coming, and coming and coming...

You will never believe this but when I showed the troglodyte scene to Cooper once about ten years ago I told him it was like a scene in ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT. (!!!) :yeah:

Viata

Arcane
Shams
iconGames.png
há 8 minutos
Took a step into a water / pool near the start, and it resulted in instant death for my party ... really? Really hope it was acid or something nasty, not just water - and there should be a sign around to encourage people to keep out of the water.
Not releasing the manual on day 1 was the best thing for Grimoire.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Wait until Shelach. You'll love her.

I beat her successfully without cheating but on some of my cheat playthroughs the fight lasted well over 40 minutes and she still won with cheats maxing out all my characters. Then when you think you have won and can just stride over and pick up the tablet ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom