Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

lorn

Educated
The game logic is weird.

How does sir coffergus get to the wyrie? The only way to get there is through the sealed Tomb of st. George. Did he fly up there or what?

How did Junga Din get into the Cenotaph? It's sealed and the only other way in would have been through Samhain, which is also impossible.

What is going on with samhain anyway? The dwarf projection makes it sound like, it's literally full of horros, but when you enter, there isn't much going on. I'm in the bowels now and all I saw are mad miners, worms and spiders. What are mad dwarves doing here anyway, when the whole area was abandoned centuries ago?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
What are mad dwarves doing here anyway, when the whole area was abandoned centuries ago?

I figure they're miners who got trapped inside when they blew the charges and destroyed the bridge, per the magic lamp projection's story.

As far as the rest of your questions... idfk

Winslow

Novice
Patron
Other than keys and medusa heads, anything else to be wary of?
Some human enemies seem to drop random low tier weapons, but really since keys seem to be dropping all over the place the only sure way to avoid the crash is to make sure to keep your finger off the Enter key at the end of every combat encounter when the final killing blow is happening.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
So is the game fun? Ignoring all the drama and the 10 year or whatever development cycle, how does it stack up as a classic style blobber?

Viata

Arcane
Thank you, Cleveland Mark Blakemore, for this amazing game. Clearly the best game of this decade(or of this two decades).
First ending done:
HDaDOSo.png

Anyone using the laster patch? 1.2.0.21.

People on Steam reporting CTDs from walking and the return of the Key crash. Anyone else experiencing this? Want to know if I should wait on updating.

I decided 1.2.0.21 was the one I'd start with.

Then I noticed I couldn't place mapnotes anymore.

So now I'm deliberating whether to wait some more.
I want to place map notes and really take my time, revel in the experience.

Haven't had those issues you said, but I really didn't even leave that starting patch.

Mapnotes work fine in 1.2.0.21.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn. Congratulations on the first completion in history!
:hero:

For people asking about the new patch. I updated and played again through the Cenotaph up until Samhain George. Had no issues whatsoever. Mapmarkers function without fail. The only change I noticed was that keys do indeed drop again. Haven't had a key drop since ~.04? Which would mean about 30hrs without keys and now I had 4 in about 5 hrs. But no crashes, even when pressing Enter.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Cleve could've been factoring in replayability. You can't play every class on one playthrough. You can't use every race on one playthrough. You probably can't even hit max level by the end of the game, so you have to factor in grinding into the max playtime as well. Also, you can't steal a quest item on one playthrough while simultaneously getting it legitimately, so there's even more replayability. You can't murder Little Rosy and also take her with you, etc etc.

Or it could be that there is a lot of backtracking during the endgame.

I'm sure the game has up to 600 hours on hardest setting with onslaught wandering monsters. The backtracking takes no time at all, by the way - there is autowalk and there are Moongate teleporters later.

That's true.

I'd also like to see the playtime for people who don't use any guides whatsoever, playing blind I'm sure adds a lot of playtime simply figuring out what to do.
I have been avoiding spoilers as much as I can, but it is real hard with Viata, Cleve and others blabbing tons of stuff without spoiler tags. I was reading the hint thread at first since it was mostly discussion of stats, skills, ui stuff, but somewhere around page 15 it turned into mostly spoilers.

I've been playing at master/superhero, with randoms set to rare. My party is level 6, I am about 10% through the game, with 100+ hours played. I spend a lot of time talking to npcs, leveling skills, experimenting with oddball things and such (most of which does nothing, but every now and then something interesting happens).
600 hours seems reasonable for someone who buys the game, reads nothing but Cleve's future manual, and plays through the game without talking to anyone else about puzzle, key locations, etc.
60 hours seems reasonable for someone who plays with a walkthrough open at all times, and difficulty set to novice.

For me the fun in this is figuring out as many of the puzzles and hidden things on my own as I can. Once I finish the game and start to get bored with trying other classes, startings/ending, etc., I will read a bunch of guides to find what I missed and see if I found anything that nobody else found. For me, there is little rush to finish the game. Once I am done, I will likely have nothing fun to play again until Grimoire II comes out in no telling how many years. My only rush to get through the game is to solve things before I get spoilered.

lorn

Educated
I figure they're miners who got trapped inside when they blew the charges and destroyed the bridge, per the magic lamp projection's story.

Yeah, but this happened centuries ago, how are they still alive in this hellhole called Samhain? And why weren't they killed by the horrors?

Viata

Arcane
60 hours seems reasonable for someone who plays with a walkthrough open at all times, and difficulty set to novice.
He would need a hell of a walkthrough, one that would give him the best party to defeat bosses that are immune to everything but normal damage. Shelach is OP on master, for example. I was able to beat her thanks to game not being balanced, it would take me more than 90 hours to finish this game if not for exploits.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Yeah, but this happened centuries ago, how are they still alive in this hellhole called Samhain? And why weren't they killed by the horrors?

Uhhh.....

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I wouldn't count on a discount...

Grimoire Opening Discount of 10%
JULY 24 - GOLDEN ERA GAMES

I have decided it is just a nice thing to do for people who have been waiting years to play my game if I offered a 10% discount on the game during it's first week. After this ends, I want to assure anyone waiting for the game that Grimoire will never, ever sell at a discount at any time it is on the Steam store ever again. I won't permit it to be sold below it's retail value for any reason.

You should've taken advantage of the opening sale, losers.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore Hey Cleve people are saying that when you multiclass to Assassin or any other class you don't get their skills? Is that working as intended. I'm assuming you'd want people to be able to learn the martial arts skills that you get when changing into a Jester or Assassin. Otherwise what's the point in multiclassing?

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

I have decided it is just a nice thing to do for people who have been waiting years to play my game if I offered a 10% discount on the game during it's first week. After this ends, I want to assure anyone waiting for the game that Grimoire will never, ever sell at a discount at any time it is on the Steam store ever again. I won't permit it to be sold below it's retail value for any reason.

Steam seems to have a thing where "every" game is on sale during their summer and winter sales. I wonder if that is the case if Cleve just tells them to set a discount of 1% or if they will copy the 10% of opening week sale.

I don't think they can force higher % unless the developer agrees to it but someone here who has dealt with Valve could maybe shed some more light on how it exactly works.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Steam seems to have a thing where "every" game is on sale during their summer and winter sales. I wonder if that is the case if Cleve just tells them to set a discount of 1% or if they will copy the 10% of opening week sale.

I don't think they can force higher % unless the developer agrees to it but someone here who has dealt with Valve could maybe shed some more light on how it exactly works.

Fairly certain ALL discounts have to be agreed upon by the developer. Steam cannot put something on sale without the developer's consent.

Tigranes

Arcane

Why would you ever think this is a possibility

Danthar

Novice
Mapnotes work fine in 1.2.0.21.

Really? That's odd.. they don't for me. Just played a bunch. Guess I will try a reinstall.

Also noticed btw that it's my left top char that gets attacked almost exclusively, I really think they smartly choose the weakest one and there's no bug there.

Edit: also can confirm: you as a developer have to arrange the discount yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom