Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Loverslab Puts Grimoire To Shame (OR Reapa is an idiot: The Thread!)

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Nekot-The-Brave
rating everything shit instead of commenting is not very brave. did you get in touch with cleave to pay for me? or did you chicken out?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
rating everything shit instead of commenting is not very brave. did you get in touch with cleave to pay for me? or did you chicken out?

Bravery is not rashness. It takes bravery of a different sort to strike when it is optimal.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nekot-The-Brave
I forgot about it, but I just sent a message to Cleve about it, so I'm in contact w/him now.

I've been rating your posts shit tho, since they've been pretty shit. For the most part, Lady Error has answered your questions pretty well but you've been having some problems with those answers. :shittydog:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Nekot-The-Brave
I forgot about it, but I just sent a message to Cleve about it, so I'm in contact w/him now.

I've been rating your posts shit tho, since they've been pretty shit. For the most part, Lady Error has answered your questions pretty well but you've been having some problems with those answers. :shittydog:
i don't know how much more clear i can make this.
1. Lady Error kept insisting not all casters can learn all spells from spell books without providing any proof. i know i never encountered any spell i couldn't teach any of them. we must be playing different grimoires.
2. Lady Error kept insisting you have to pay your recruits each day. went ahead and tested it. no such thing. the fact that the game says you have to pay but does nothing to take your gold means you don't pay.
the game makes the same mistakes other games have made over and over and when i point that out i get: well duh, it's a spiritual successor. it wouldn't be faithful to not repeat obvious design flaws.
i don't see the incline in that case. it's a stagnation at best.
3. Viata completed the game and reported having to fight cheese with cheese. it's actually not possible to get by certain bosses without exploiting certain bugs or obvious oversights. sorry, but that's not good encounter design.
it's a party based game with a size of 8 that doesn't make use of even the most basic team work.
4. what good is a thief if you can open locks with any spell caster, since all of them can learn knock knock?
5. what good is a cleric if again any spell caster can cure anything?
6. what good is a bard when any character can play any music instrument effectively? yes, without music skill, they won't cast it as a mass spell, but they will still penetrate with no chance reduction for lack of skill, cause it's not even implemented.
i'm not obsessing about this because i'm a retard, i'm doing it because it breaks all team management, the very reason for playing a party based game.
Lady Error is unwilling to admit any caster can learn any spell, because she knows wiz 6 and 7 did not make that mistake. she knows it breaks the game. more so than multi classing to the point where every party member can do whatever any other party member can do, since you don't even have to go through the grind of multi classing several times with everyone.
7. i didn't even begin to get deeper into the itemization. cleve himself wrote that chests will always drop the same random crap. great, but then how is it better than... go ahead and pick any game.
i was expecting some nice hand placed loot, nothing too fancy for the first 5-6 levels, but something, anything. no such luck. i'm not a great fan of repetitive loot tables. if you're too busy fixing bugs to put some thought into your game, fuck the loot. it's crap anyway. i'll just buy some gear from the vendors.
8. i never had to use a single scroll. what is the point of finding them everywhere? or food for that matter. especially since the food bar has been disabled.
9. getting the same music instruments over and over is fucking stupid and devalues them. you actually get items that will cast free spells forever and they're not even that special. they seem to grow on trees.
we complain a lot here about quantity over quality - open world games filled with grindy generic shit. then grimoire gets released and because it's a one man project with a long history, it gets a pass on all that.
exploration is great. i love all the secrets and details. but everything else is pretty meh.

mondblut

Arcane
Yes, it's absolutely true that the dedicated spellcasters in Grimoire are free to SCRIBE any spell into their cast-able spell list that they choose to. Repeating the above, Cleve intended this.

Not quite, if all previous versions are to be considered.

mondblut

Arcane
7. i didn't even begin to get deeper into the itemization. cleve himself wrote that chests will always drop the same random crap. great, but then how is it better than... go ahead and pick any game.
i was expecting some nice hand placed loot, nothing too fancy for the first 5-6 levels, but something, anything. no such luck.

There is a fair amount of handplaced loot. All the good shit is handplaced.

Grimoire just takes a different approach to itemization. Instead of feeding you tiny upgrades every 10 steps you make, it mostly delivers goods in large batches. You remain more or less naked and unarmed until you reach Smithers, which is when all your fighters all get moderately armored and armed. Then you are stuck with it until you do the armory, when most make upgrades to semi-decent weapons. Then you get to Wizard's Barge and Samhain mausoleum and get a bunch of Real Good Shit. Then you get to Kublai and spend your honestly earned 200.000 (or, whom am I kidding, you just steal) on Shrike's stuff. Meanwhile, the random loot chests in between only serve to fill the gaps with savescum - one chests gives one of your guys a minor gauntlets upgrade, another drops a spellbook you don't know, shit like that.

It gets used to, but I like it that way. Systems that expect you to upgrade your shit from +18 to +20 on every level are dumb. Nothing wrong with using the same gear for hours until you strike gold and break into royal magical armory.

Bocian

Arcane
Please explain what the fuck is going on here

Those Familiar with the mod Cursed Loot for Skyrim will fondly remember how cursed items were automatically equipped by that mod to the player character and were often quite hard to get rid of in addition to being a pain in the ass by taking up armor slots without offering any protection or even filling up holes people needed for other activities.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i was expecting some nice hand placed loot, nothing too fancy for the first 5-6 levels, but something, anything. no such luck.

There is a fair amount of handplaced loot. All the good shit is handplaced.

Grimoire just takes a different approach to itemization. Instead of feeding you tiny upgrades every 10 steps you make, it mostly delivers goods in large batches. You remain more or less naked and unarmed until you reach Smithers, which is when all your fighters all get moderately armored and armed. Then you are stuck with it until you do the armory, when most make upgrades to semi-decent weapons. Then you get to Wizard's Barge and Samhain mausoleum and get a bunch of Real Good Shit. Then you get to Kublai and spend your honestly earned 200.000 (or, whom am I kidding, you just steal) on Shrike's stuff. Meanwhile, the random loot chests in between only serve to fill the gaps with savescum - one chests gives one of your guys a minor gauntlets upgrade, another drops a spellbook you don't know, shit like that.

It gets used to, but I like it that way. Systems that expect you to upgrade your shit from +18 to +20 on every level are dumb. Nothing wrong with using the same gear for hours until you strike gold and break into royal magical armory.
with 8 party members there's plenty of room to spread shit out a little. you don't have do change your equipment at every level with every char. if you change one piece on one char every level, it takes 8 levels to change one piece on every char, just one. acording to Viata the game only goes for about 10 levels. i guess it's fine to find a lot of good stuff in one place if the story makes more sense like that. i just kinda got bored with it before i reached the armory and am probably gonna wait a while till more micro issues get fixed.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Please explain what the fuck is going on here

Those Familiar with the mod Cursed Loot for Skyrim will fondly remember how cursed items were automatically equipped by that mod to the player character and were often quite hard to get rid of in addition to being a pain in the ass by taking up armor slots without offering any protection or even filling up holes people needed for other activities.
no access to google?

Razor44

Novice
The 10/11 levels thing is true, because of the retarded way XP to the next level increases in relation to what mobs are worth in XP.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm only 25 hours in, but some of the issues mentioned by Reapa begin to become evident. However, unlike most other games Grimoire has soul. Every dungeon feels like a treat. Every short description, a labor of love. I hope combat can get fixed and other things balanced, because it would be a pity that such a wondrous and rare adventure doesn't get the gameplay it deserves.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
but some of the issues mentioned by Reapa begin to become evident. However, unlike most other games Grimoire has soul. Every dungeon feels like a treat. Every short description, a labor of love.

Is this because Cleve sacrificed his soul to make it?

Efe

Erudite
people keep saying "X is this way because wizardry 7 was like this" but why doesnt anyone expect any improvements to formula over 22 years?
wheres the incline? this is the same road you took 20 years ago

Iznaliu

Arbiter
people keep saying "X is this way because wizardry 7 was like this" but why doesnt anyone expect any improvements to formula over 22 years?

A lot of people here really liked Wizardry 7.

mondblut

Arcane

We already had a plenty of "improvements" over 22 years. No, thanks.

No. This is the same road we were forced off 20 years ago. I, for one, am happy to be walking it once more. :obviously:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Walking backwards uphill is incline and good for overall health. https://thesuperiortherapy.com/walking-backwards/
One of the most beneficial exercises one can perform in the gym is walking backwards on a treadmill. Most of the orthopeadic injuries that we see in physical therapy are caused by repetitive motions that are always done the same way thousands of times a day, like walking forward. In order to address major musculoskeletal dysfunctions or muscle imbalances it is necessary to change the way we move. Walking backwards changes the reactions and demands on the body and creates an environment that stimulates tissue lengthening and muscle imbalance correction.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/356971-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-walking-backwards/
Walking backwards is not just for frolicking kids or teenagers goofing off any more. It actually has some health benefits for sports performance and rehabilitation after surgery or an injury. Walking or jogging backwards is popular in Japan because it burns several times more calories than doing it forwards. Although it may be folklore, it has been said that 100 steps backwards are equivalent to 1,000 steps forwards.
http://www.mytreadmilltrainer.com/treadmill-backwards-walking.html
Walking backwards or jogging backwards on the treadmill works muscles in an entirely different way than walking forwards. Specifically, by walking backwards on the treadmill (especially on an incline) you engage the quad muscles (front of thigh) and calves to a great extent. Ideally, as with any type of treadmill workout your goal is walk the hands off of the side rails for best results.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom