Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #42: Full Voice Acting

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is insane for a game of this size. I hope it works out for then in the end. I still want to to play that Swen's dream RPG which Will Rule Them All.

To be honest, this is probably a must if they want the game to be called "better in every way than the first one" (and they do), and if they plan a console release later (and they do) - redoing the VA as they did for the first game would be even more expensive in the long run.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, that's a huge waste of resources. Looking forward to hearing "Hello chosen o... We are the... Would you... Than.... Go to the.... Thank....." repeatedly and trying to focus on reading the text at a reasonable speed while a low budget voice actor demands my attention talking at the speed of a teacher reading to a special needs kindergartner.
I agree. It's actually a surprisingly significant waste of mental resources to have to continuously block the speech and concentrate on reading. This definitely makes me less eager to buy the game.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Voice acting reached its peak with Baldur's Gate - voiced greeting to set the mood while letting me read (and re-read, scroll, search) through the rest at my own pace. Going further to appease retards is a pure decline and waste. A million words... they could have funded two AoD sequels with that kind of money. ;/

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That sounds terribly jewish and the line of thinking that the "accessibility" crowd wants to bring about decline.

And I really do NOT like full voice acting in games that use tomes for dialog. In ToEE, the few VA on key characters worked because they didn't give you a dissertation in their conversations. But when I have to sit around for 30 seconds or more for every character's turn in conversation to play the audio versus reading it in 5-10 seconds, all that voice acting is just a time waster that gets in the way of me playing the game.

It makes perfect sense. Game already has a huge budget and will need significantly more buyers than D:OS to turn a profit. Lack of full voice acting is a turn-off for many of the more casual players that they absolutely need. They spend a little more, they potentially get significantly more in return.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sounds like a waste of resources to me, but it doesn't make the game worse in my eyes.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I like what they're doing with the adaptative soundtrack. I haven't played much of the game yet, but I enjoyed the fact that my character had a specific instrument that I could recognize. That's what I like with Larian, they don't try to make a revolution, but they try to add something new, little by little. I can really imagine a brainstorming session where they go
-hey could we turn the ground into lava?
-what about smothering a fire with magic rain, would it create a magic fog?
-wouldn't it be nice if each character's action was reflected by a change in music?
Their games are a work of love. And even if they're not perfect, this kind of passion shows both in their content and in their mechanics.

And I concur with the composer, a large part of the pleasure I had playing Divinity games comes from the music. Kirill will be missed.

Darkzone

Arcane
Either Bobby Slavov knows that people like Kirills music or he truly played the Divinity games and appreciates the music also. Either way, he knows what to say to the Divinity audience and i will assume the second for his benefits.
And it seems that Larian is fulfilling its promises that they made in DOS KS and are recording also Kirills music with a orchestra. Which by the way is also positioning Bobby at a good starting position.
Oh Swen you magnificent bastard, you know how to pull it off.
I should have supported more Larian than inXile.

Quantomas

Savant
Love updates like this! Slavov is a great composer. Listen to what he says and how the professional musicians in Budapest savour the experience playing his music. Restores some of my faith in the human race and that Western cultural values will be reborn in the East.

And Swen Vincke rocks!

covr

Prophet
Patron
Well, that's a huge waste of resources. Looking forward to hearing "Hello chosen o... We are the... Would you... Than.... Go to the.... Thank....." repeatedly and trying to focus on reading the text at a reasonable speed while a low budget voice actor demands my attention talking at the speed of a teacher reading to a special needs kindergartner.
I agree. It's actually a surprisingly significant waste of mental resources to have to continuously block the speech and concentrate on reading. This definitely makes me less eager to buy the game.

Elwro You've been here too long to start being a pussy now. If you don't like VA just turn it off. The game is not in any way worse than it was before full VA announcement .
Also I like what they've been doing with the music, the pieces they've shown in the video are just too beautiful. DivOS2 is definitely a money sink for Larian and I am almost sure that it will sell worse that DivOS1, despite being much better game.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
That sounds terribly jewish and the line of thinking that the "accessibility" crowd wants to bring about decline.

And I really do NOT like full voice acting in games that use tomes for dialog. In ToEE, the few VA on key characters worked because they didn't give you a dissertation in their conversations. But when I have to sit around for 30 seconds or more for every character's turn in conversation to play the audio versus reading it in 5-10 seconds, all that voice acting is just a time waster that gets in the way of me playing the game.

It makes perfect sense. Game already has a huge budget and will need significantly more buyers than D:OS to turn a profit. Lack of full voice acting is a turn-off for many of the more casual players that they absolutely need. They spend a little more, they potentially get significantly more in return.

But they should make games for the Codex and then go belly-up.

Mustawd

D:OS 2 was always going to be vpice acted if possible. Cmon.

Think about it. Larian has been pushing this whole idea of playing on the couch with a controller. No way they were gonna go TToN with all those words and make ppl actually read from the couch.

aratuk

Cipher
Maybe they will include an option to delete all the extraneous audio files so the game won't take up as much space. Keep it under 100 megs, like Grimoire.

:M

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hope this doesn't turn to bite them in the ass in the end. There was already a wiff of featurecreep in the air, and now it seems as if they're just spending more money to hopefully earn enough.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

Yeah, that's the main thing that bothers me about it. If you turn off voices, that inevitably impacts audio cues when you're exploring/combat/etc. It never works well.

One or two voice lines to set a mood is fine, but full voice-acting for a text dialogue heavy game is just wrong. If you're going to go full VA, it should be for a cinematic game where it doesn't hurt the player's experience.

it was pretty clear since beginning that Larian wished to go full retarded but first needed to pocket the morons grognard money

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
I'm not a fan of full voice acting. I think the Baldur's Gate approach, where a character only greets but you then read in your own pace and tone. I like to read very fast and hearing the voice acting forces me to read as slow as the voice actor speaks.
The best way out of this is more audio settings. Something like "Use voice acting for:" that could be set to "full", "major characters only", "none".

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The best way out of this is more audio settings. Something like "Use voice acting for:" that could be set to "full", "major characters only", "none".

That will be a bit annoying to implement, as every clip will have to be split in two.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess a huge text script edit will happen to make this 'bearable'. Also gog insistence on having all languages available in a single download will ruin the size of this game. I expect 30gb+

A terrible decision honestly.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Power of innocence is my ringtone for some time.

Now it is an alarm (i slightly edited it tho so it is easiee on my fragile sleeping ears)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom