Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline PC Gamer: We're in an FPS golden age

Deflowerer

Arcane
Well, it is indeed a golden age given how ruthlessly people are jewed out of their gold through lootboxes.

Uh...what? Last I checked PUBG is not a fucking FPS.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But really, what do you expect from a guy who looks like this?

yWNypAO.png

Master beta
Raised by a Team Fortress Classic clan, Evan can only communicate using multiplayer FPS jargon, sort of like that Star Trek: TNG "Darmok" episode. 2fort, when the walls fell...

There is a first person mode and you can play on servers that enforces that.

Those servers were only recently patched in officially, and if you're not playing on one you are actively discouraged from playing FP since the FOV is MUCH more narrow than in 3rd person.

Meh, whatever; retarded clickbait article is retarded clickbait ... just seems like some disingenuous bullshit to hold PUBG up as a supposed indicator of the golden age of FPS.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meh, there were always great FPS out there and there always will be.
Isn't that one of the things cRPG players were butthurt about during those dark times before the Kickstarter hype train was set in motion? Developers only catering to graphics whores with their CoDs and Battlefields and Crysis and stuff?

So there can't be a golden age for that genre because there never was a dark age. It's where the money is and where it always will be.

Last edited:
The last decent FPS games I played were SWAT 4 and STALKER.

The article is a joke and the perspective is that of a millenial faggot, predictably.

Ash

Arcane
Meh, there were always great FPS out there and there always will be.

Modern ones? That offer a decent singleplayer FPS experience? Where? The singleplayer FPS died in the mid 2000s. The only ones I've found either good or half satisfactory was STALKER and Wolfenstien 2009. Maybe Nu Far Cry games but there's a bit too much dumb mass market design and UbiSoft gimmicks to be worthy. You could stretch to include something like New Vegas, but it's an RPG, not a pureblood FPS.

Multiplayer? Yeah maybe it's not so bad and there's some diversity, but singleplayer matters. And to old schoolers especially it matters a lot.

thesoup

Arcane
Singleplayer in a pure straightforward fps is just one big why.gif. it isnt the right format for a good story nor are bots a worthy challenge so there is no real motivation to play either if you are a combatfag or storyfag.

Now you faggots cry for the mid or early 2000s like that era wasnt full of absolute trash fps games every retarded publisher shat out on a daily basis. The genre was largely thought of as glorified and lazy tech demos. That era and fps were like today and indie retroshit platformers.

Kitchen Utensil

Singleplayer in a pure straightforward fps is just one big why.gif. it isnt the right format for a good story nor are bots a worthy challenge so there is no real motivation to play either if you are a combatfag or storyfag.

Now you faggots cry for the mid or early 2000s like that era wasnt full of absolute trash fps games every retarded publisher shat out on a daily basis. The genre was largely thought of as glorified and lazy tech demos. That era and fps were like today and indie retroshit platformers.

You play FPS for the gameplay, not for the story. The original Quake for example has so fucking great and challenging level design and gameplay that it puts just about everything that's been released between then and now to shame.

And yeah, lol at the "article".

Last edited by a moderator:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The last online fps I played were Verdun and Rising Storm 2. It is fun for a short time but then it's the same over and over. I'm also amazed how absurdly limited those games are, the maps are smaller than most 90s games, simply because the developers no longer work directly on their code but only some editor middleware format, and dont understand how to manage memory. It's a joke.

A return of the great single player games like Hidden and Dangerous is also unlikely because though at the time the genre sounded exciting, we now know the limitations. And developers never tried to provide gameplay elements that would make it interesting.

All in all gaming in 2017 is a huge pile of shit. I have never felt less excitement about new developments since the 1980s. Fuck everyone who is still working in this so called industry, contributing to the huge landslide of shit.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Fuck the overrated piece of rancid dogshit that is Half Life for bringing muh cinematic experience into FPS.
It's not even the first game to have scripted sequences its just a really well done SP game with tons of third party content as well as some solid multiplayer.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Wolf: Enemy Territory, great MP game, asymmetric, class and team based. One of my all time faves. I see that Brink (made by Splash Damage) is free now. They also made Quake Wars that on paper should have worked but just didn't catch the magic. I assumed Brink sucked because it's new and sucks like everything new.

As to, SP FPS's, eh, I made it through Doom 3 and Quake 4. I guess close to the last of modern SP FPS's that are worth a go but not great. I'm bad at years but maybe Farcry, Stalker, Crysis. Brian is siezing up, can't think of much more. Dark Messiah.

Older would be more like Rune (getting a sandbox open world RPG remake!). FAKK2. And several others that I can't think of right now that experimented with Quake/UT/Build engines to create something like a combination of an SP FPS with a bit of adventure, interesting levels, exploration and puzzles. Nothing wrong with that, Soup.

But yeah, SP FPS's have been dead for many years and I'd really like to play a fun one with semi-modern graphics. They haven't made any for over ten years now, I doubt they're going to start anytime soon.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

kys

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom